Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 crv ex /blacked out
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so my wife’s crv last night did the slow crank 3-4 times till it started last night so I took for a ride with my scanner on it to see the data. Charges fine battery rest good even starts up immediately after . But if it sits for 5-10 mins it won’t start. So to make her happy I put a new agm battery in it and cleaned the terminals . Now the red light for immobilizer flashes when trying to start and if does it dies after 5 secs. No codes in system , new battery , tried both key fobs and need to get to work in am. Tried contacting Honda but said since cars out of warranty by mileage couldn’t and wouldn’t help me and to tow to dealer to then get gouged by them to probably reprogram I’m assuming. Is there something I’m missing or is this electrical system in this gen that pathetic ?

<moderator edit: to remove profane word Please review forum rules before posting>

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,601 Posts
Changing battery on newer CRV's will probably need a system reboot
And being driven for a while to get it to reset

Would check with youtube and see what they say

·
Registered
2018 crv ex /blacked out
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changing battery on newer CRV's will probably need a system reboot
And being driven for a while to get it to reset

Would check with youtube and see what they say
That’s the thing I did the reboot and gps recognition process, tried doing the lock n unlock in drivers door with fob blank , tried leaving ignition on with fob in car for ten mins , scanned system through the oem and obd2 , checked fuses under hood and dash, cleaned all grounds . If I push for a sec it’ll crank and start till light flashes and dies . Yet if I hold the push start button it’ll crank all day and never start.I’m no dummy with electronics and felt with worse scenarios but I can not see how replacing a weak battery will turn every dash light on and activate the immobilizer to were I now need to tow to dealer and pay for a reinitialization bc I did maintenance to a new car…… is there no way to do this with scanner, procedures or using hidden menus?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,564 Posts
When the immobilizer is activated it disables the fuel pump so the engine can turn over all day but it won't start. If it was something simple to get the vehicle to recognize the fobs it would make having the immobilizer kind of pointless. You might try disconnecting the battery for a min. That would cause all the CPUs to reset. Other than that it's off to the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 crv ex /blacked out
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m aware of the immobilizer functions and this system actually kills fuel and spark so there’s no dilution or hot spots in walls . I towed it to dealer with note and we’ll see what the excuse will be for this glorified golf cart

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,079 Posts
I’m no dummy with electronics and felt with worse scenarios but I can not see how replacing a weak battery will turn every dash light on and activate the immobilizer
For someone claiming not to be a dummy, you dont exactly seem clued up on how a weak battery affects all the electrical systems.

The reason(s) why every warning displays is because the car is telling you something is wrong. Read the manual - your answer lies within.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
251 Posts
So the good news is that you were able to tow the CRV to the dealership and I am sure that they will fix the problem. This might be a good learning lesson for all -- optimistically.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,494 Posts
For someone claiming not to be a dummy, you dont exactly seem clued up on how a weak battery affects all the electrical systems.

The reason(s) why every warning displays is because the car is telling you something is wrong. Read the manual - your answer lies within.
And I bet the immobilizer got activated when the battery was swapped out... probably by a momentary spark from positive to ground glitching the power rail on the immobilizer circuit. In which case the best practice as most of us here have learned is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to allow every single circuit in the vehicle to loose stand-by power and hence fully reset when they are repowered up by reattaching the battery.

Could also be the immobilizer triggered due to something not battery related at all. That can happen.

·
Banned
252 Posts

<deleted by moderator...> He said the problems happened AFTER he changed out his weak battery.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,494 Posts
<deleted by moderator...> He said the problems happened AFTER he changed out his weak battery.
He did indeed say that. He also ignored sound solicited advice.

He claimed to be well versed in working with vehicles electrical systems yet has no understanding why all the alert lights go crazy when you have a weak battery or change out a weak battery, which kind of undercuts his "expertise" claim somewhat. When in fact.. it is one of the most common and discussed behaviors of how CRVs react to a bad, dead, or replacement of the battery and the best practice is to disconnect power for 10 minutes to allow every system in the vehicle to fully reset and remove any malfunctions due to power glitching.

The original poster came to the forum for help and advice... and I encourage them to read and accept said help and advice as it is presented, rather than shift focus to "I know what I am doing" when given advice.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,079 Posts
Instead of insulting me, try reading what was written first.

He claimed to be well versed in working with vehicles electrical systems yet has no understanding why all the alert lights go crazy when you have a weak battery or change out a weak battery, which kind of undercuts his "expertise" claim somewhat.
Bingo 👌

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
2018 crv ex /blacked out
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We’ll long and behold 250 bucks later and paying for a rental for 4 days the dealer said “the abs module went bad and the right rear caliper that was done under warranty 1 month ago seized , causing the immobilizer to engage “ all bc I installed a power lift gate which I purchased through Honda at time of purchase the crv. Immediately I laughed in his face bc ik that they threw 6 items at it and reprogrammed it twice due to a insider in parts . Sadly even tried to sell me another battery , 2 key fob batteries, spark plugs n front pads.. I literally had receipts in glove box with dates all those were done plus more . Dealers don’t diag,inspect or even care they just plug into and do what they’re told and glorified parts replacers

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,079 Posts
Dealers don’t diag,inspect
Nonsense.

They must have inspected it to tell you the module is bad.

Instead of whining, why not try and work WITH your dealer for a resolution. Or find another dealership if you feel the way you do about your current one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts