Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd vehicle in the family, so I don't drive this often, so wasn't aware of what the MM said.
Has odometer reading of 17,396 km (just shy of 11,000 miles)

Seems to me the service work done is way more than what is necessary.
The work order provided me says MM A, which is the oil and filter change (do all CRVs require synthetic oil?)
Furthermore, the work order says, MM 9, which is servicing of the parking brake, and service of the front and rear brakes
Finally the work order says, MM 6, which is replacement of the rear differential fluid (incl, plug drain and drain plug)

Total bill was almost $300

I mentioned to the service manager that this seemed rather expensive, as I find it hard to believe the rear differential fluid needed to be replace, let alone a brake job.
I drive a 2017 Pilot and she says that my Pilot has the same service schedule. I disagreed with her, and so we checked my Pilot on her computer and we find that she was wrong. Not only that, she tells me that the MM said the work was req'd, but now the MM was reset so there is no way to confirm. She also says that I need to have this work done, in the event there is ever warranty work that needs to be done. (I think she is suggesting that this proves I was taking care of the vehicle, so they will honor the warranty). I wanted to argue with her and tell her that I can get my oil change done anywhere, as long as i kept my receipt.

I have this feeling that my wife was told service work was needed when not all of it really was.

Would appreciate hearing from any mechanics out there, someone from HONDA, or in fact other CRV AWD owners?

Thank-you!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,164 Posts
2nd vehicle in the family, so I don't drive this often, so wasn't aware of what the MM said.
Has odometer reading of 17,396 km (just shy of 11,000 miles)

Seems to me the service work done is way more than what is necessary.
The work order provided me says MM A, which is the oil and filter change (do all CRVs require synthetic oil?)
Furthermore, the work order says, MM 9, which is servicing of the parking brake, and service of the front and rear brakes
Finally the work order says, MM 6, which is replacement of the rear differential fluid (incl, plug drain and drain plug)

Total bill was almost $300

I mentioned to the service manager that this seemed rather expensive, as I find it hard to believe the rear differential fluid needed to be replace, let alone a brake job.
I drive a 2017 Pilot and she says that my Pilot has the same service schedule. I disagreed with her, and so we checked my Pilot on her computer and we find that she was wrong. Not only that, she tells me that the MM said the work was req'd, but now the MM was reset so there is no way to confirm. She also says that I need to have this work done, in the event there is ever warranty work that needs to be done. (I think she is suggesting that this proves I was taking care of the vehicle, so they will honor the warranty). I wanted to argue with her and tell her that I can get my oil change done anywhere, as long as i kept my receipt.

I have this feeling that my wife was told service work was needed when not all of it really was.

Would appreciate hearing from any mechanics out there, someone from HONDA, or in fact other CRV AWD owners?

Thank-you!
The first diff fluid change occurs around 14k miles. This is normal, it's to flush out the material created during break in. The diff isn't just a differential gear but a electric hydraulic pump, valves and a clutch pack requiring clean fluid. The next fluid change is a much longer period. The brake service is really a cleaning which may or may not be needed depending on where the vehicle is driven. Up north with snow/ice and road salt probably a good idea. Your next surprise service is the brake fluid flush, this will pop up between two to three years. Most if not all manufacturer recommend brake fluid changed at 2-3 years now.
If you are a DIY guy, you can change all the vehicle fluids for a small fraction of the cost and it's easy to do. For example the diff would have cost around $25 and brake fluid flush, $12 for the fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.
I miss the good old days when the manufacturer would include the maintenance schedule in the Owners' Manual. The MM might be good, but we now have to trust the Service Manager. When they reset the MM we have to believe them.

In my situation, I wish the Service Manager would have explained things a bit better. Expecting a bill of $60- $80 and then finding it's $300 was a surprise.

Again thank you for your answering so quickly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts