Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I hope everyone is well and safe.
Brake.jpg
On Sun 04/05 I was about half a mile from home, at a stop sign and when I moved forward I got a series of error messages on my dashboard: critical engine failure, stability assist, road mitigation departure, brake fluid, tire pressure, and there were more (here's a picture of one). I drove home slowly and carefully and on Monday tried to call the dealer but they're closed due to COVID-19. I can't believe that every system on the car went kablooie at once so it's got to be a single chip/sensor issue, or worse, an electrical issue. I started an inquiry with Honda but that's long and slow and I have a feeling ultimately futile. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm very leery of going to a garage because I don't want to void the warranty. Paula

·
2,791 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Gen 5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Larry - thank you for the welcome. Forgive me, but how do I find Gen 5 - or did you move this there? (I'm new to the forum as you can probably tell.) Many thanks to you. Paula

·
2,791 Posts
You bet. In the CR-V main section you can see the generations. Gen 5 is from 2017-present.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Check Oil levels to make sure there isn't high oil/gas in oil issue
Take to O'Reilly / Autozone and see if there are any Check Engine Codes
If you can't do any of those, you could try a battery reset by removing the negative terminal for 15 min to reset the vehicle systems.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,763 Posts
While you can't really diagnose from the warning indicators, you can get a pretty good idea as to where the problem lies.
1. You don't have a check engine light so you don't have a problem with the emissions or the engine
2. You do have a red brake light (on the right). This is caused by a low brake fluid or a problem with the the electronic power brake module, not to be confused with the electronic parking brake.
If the red (right) brake light comes on, all the auto braking functions will be disabled. This will cause the amber warnings for ACC, collison avoidance, vehicle stability, road departure, amber brake light (left) to come on.
3. The warning message in the center ((P)) is telling you the stop the car, put it in park and set the parking brake.

So it appears you have a power brake issue and if you have checked the brake fluid level, I would guess the brake module has an issue.

You are wise not to trust just any garage to diagnose the issue since it requires the proper equipment and knowledge to resolve these issues on these newly introduced electronic systems.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
While you can't really diagnose from the warning indicators, you can get a pretty good idea as to where the problem lies.
1. You don't have a check engine light so you don't have a problem with the emissions or the engine
2. You do have a red brake light (on the right). This is caused by a low brake fluid or a problem with the the electronic power brake module, not to be confused with the electronic parking brake.
If the red (right) brake light comes on, all the auto braking functions will be disabled. This will cause the amber warnings for ACC, collison avoidance, vehicle stability, road departure, amber brake light (left) to come on.
3. The warning message in the center ((P)) is telling you the stop the car, put it in park and set the parking brake.

So it appears you have a power brake issue and if you have checked the brake fluid level, I would guess the brake module has an issue.

You are wise not to trust just any garage to diagnose the issue since it requires the proper equipment and knowledge to resolve these issues on these newly introduced electronic systems.
he said it had a "critical engine failure " message.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
he said it had a "critical engine failure " message.
I know he said that, but I believe he meant "Critical Failure Detected. Stop Vehicle When Safe" message. There is no "critical engine failure" message.
But as I said before, until you plug in a proper diagnostic scranner you can only make an educated guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After letting the car sit in my driveway for 2 weeks (local dealer where I bought the car is closed due to Covid) I called Roadside Assitance and had it towed to a Bay Ridge Honda; they said it's the brake booster and should be done this week. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After letting the car sit in my driveway for 2 weeks (local dealer where I bought the car is closed due to Covid) I called Roadside Assitance and had it towed to a Bay Ridge Honda; they said it's the brake booster and should be done this week. Here's hoping!
I just experienced a similar issue with my 2018 CR-V (less than 25k miles)...called my dealership and they said it's a low battery issue. Once the battery starts to go bad, the sensors stop working one by one which causes all the error messages. I'm headed there shortly...we shall see!

After looking through a few other posts, it seems this Gen and others have had issues with battery drain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my car back yesterday. The receipt says "PERFORMED DIAGNOSIS DTC C0049 - 7B Brake Fluid too Low. REMOVED AND REPLACED BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AT THIS TIME". I'm assuming that either the brake fluid was not too low or they topped it up.

But isn't it odd that the master cylinder would go on a car that's less than 3 years old and has less than 5,700 (yes, five thousand seven hundred) miles on it?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Got my car back yesterday. The receipt says "PERFORMED DIAGNOSIS DTC C0049 - 7B Brake Fluid too Low. REMOVED AND REPLACED BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AT THIS TIME". I'm assuming that either the brake fluid was not too low or they topped it up.

But isn't it odd that the master cylinder would go on a car that's less than 3 years old and has less than 5,700 (yes, five thousand seven hundred) miles on it?
If they believed the brake fluid level sensor was the issue, they have to replace the master cylinder, reservoir and sensor as a single assembly. The level sensor is not a single replacable item.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they believed the brake fluid level sensor was the issue, they have to replace the master cylinder, reservoir and sensor as a single assembly. The level sensor is not a single replacable item.
Thans Traylaw. When the service rep spoke with me on Tuesday he did say that the brake booster had gone bad. I guess it's all integrated. But it's still shocking (to me at least) that a car less than 2 1/2 years old with fewer than 5,700 miles on it should require a major repair. I'm not sure I"ll stay with Honda when my lease is up next March.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts