Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local Honda service department located in the middle of Long Island NY for my 2018 CRV EX-L oil change.

Total paid for oil and filter change, multipoint vehicle inspection and top off all fluids was $68.92 I thought nothing of the price because it was at a dealership.

Curiosity got me and called 2 Honda dealerships; one west and east of this delearship. Their cost was $39.95

Called the service department and spoke with the service manager. Told me they were loosing money at the lower price and had to charge the higher price. The service manager compared the higher price in line with Pepboys and Firestone. Funny.

Also I asked why I was charged for 5 quarts of oil when my CRV 1.5L turbo engine with filter takes only 3.7 quarts of oil. He said it was a typo. To this date, I did not receive a refund for being overcharged for extra oil. Also, the service manager did not ask me to come in to verify proper oil amount.

Definetly lost all faith and trust in this dealership's service department.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Went to my local Honda service department located in the middle of Long Island NY for my 2018 CRV EX-L oil change.

Total paid for oil and filter change, multipoint vehicle inspection and top off all fluids was $68.92 I thought nothing of the price because it was at a dealership.

Curiosity got me and called 2 Honda dealerships; one west and east of this delearship. Their cost was $39.95

Called the service department and spoke with the service manager. Told me they were loosing money at the lower price and had to charge the higher price. The service manager compared the higher price in line with Pepboys and Firestone. Funny.

Also I asked why I was charged for 5 quarts of oil when my CRV 1.5L turbo engine with filter takes only 3.7 quarts of oil. He said it was a typo. To this date, I did not receive a refund for being overcharged for extra oil. Also, the service manager did not ask me to come in to verify proper oil amount.

Definetly lost all faith and trust in this dealership's service department.
Was the oil level correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the first oil change. Somewhat forced to go to the dealer for warranty and extended warranty work.

Don't expect to be overcharged for an oil change and charged for oil that was not poured in.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Who was the Dealer Do not be afraid to mention their name.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,107 Posts
That isn't going to happen, 4 qts. Mobile 1 and a filter are more than that [$15]....... jim
Granted, but with Mobil's rebates and an OEM filter from an online dealer, you could get below $20 USD as I write this (October 2018)

You would have to work the rebates and buy multiple filters to get the bargain, though.

+++++

PS: Don't be too hard on folks who don't DIY. Some folks don't care to...others live in apartments or communities where working on cars is against the HOA rules. :glare:

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts

PS: Don't be too hard on folks who don't DIY. Some folks don't care to...others live in apartments or communities where working on cars is against the HOA rules. :glare:
And some folks are physically unable to crawl under cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For what it's worth, most dealers will take competitor coupons. I always search all the dealers in the area (for my previous Subaru, Toyota etc...) and find the best coupon for the work. Most dealers will even take coupons from non-dealer shops as well as long as they are reputable. Haven't paid more than $30 for an oil change in years (been using synthetic since 2014).

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The service department's cost charged:

$40.00 Labor
$06.13 Filter
$00.42 Drain Washer
$13.40 5 quarts 0/20 oil $2.68 each
$03.50 Environmental
$05.47 Tax

$68.92 Total
You have to love that "Environmental charge" :)
My local race club has a large container for dumping used oil into. At first one company begged to be able to empty it for free once per month. Now we have offers from several companies and they are willing to pay for the oil by the gallon. You can bet a dealer never spends a cent for disposing of used oil.

Rob

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That isn't going to happen, 4 qts. Mobile 1 and a filter are more than that....... jim
Nope you are wrong. Mobil 1 runs $12 off rebate almost all year long. $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart. $13 after rebate.

Vehicle takes 3.7 quarts. $9.50 for 3.7 Quarts of oil. Honda Filter is $5-6. I keep the extra oil between uses. Super cheap for full synthetic.

I just got 5 quarts and a filter for $31 from Autozone with a $17 rebate.

Here's the deal https://goo.gl/Q28p4q No longer valid but it's very common throughout the year.

Again, a DIY oil change can be done for $15 regularly.

EDIT: https://goo.gl/Z2UPvN Here's a Penzoil Platinum deal. Basically watch for this stuff and stock up.

·
Banned
350 Posts
It was the first oil change. Somewhat forced to go to the dealer for warranty and extended warranty work.

Don't expect to be overcharged for an oil change and charged for oil that was not poured in.
What do you mean you were "forced to go to the dealer for warranty work" for the first oil change?

You absolutely do NOT need to have your vehicle serviced by the stealership in order to maintain the factory warranty.
This myth is perpetuated by dealers so they can continually take your money.

I avoid dealerships at all cost, only using them for recall notices or warranty repairs.
Virtually all dealerships are overpriced and inept for routine service work like oil changes.
The dumbest box of rocks at the dealership is the one changing your oil, rotating tires, ect.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
What do you mean you were "forced to go to the dealer for warranty work" for the first oil change?

You absolutely do NOT need to have your vehicle serviced by the stealership in order to maintain the factory warranty.
You're absolutely correct, you do not need to have services done by a Honda dealer in order to maintain the factory warranty coverage.
But if you have the services done somewhere else, or do them yourself, then keep all receipts to prove that they were done.

But, repair work that is covered by the vehicle warranty or extended warranty probably does have to be done by a Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,209 Posts
my dealer quoted me a $45 for oil/filter change (forgot to ask if they was complete-taxes, recycling).
and to add a tire rotation is $10 more.

i will go there for 1st few times.. he gave me a loaner when they did the detail on my crv, and will probably when they have to replace the HU. so we will see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.