Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new 2018 CRV about 2 months ago, it got about 31 mpg on a 1000 mile road trip, but in town it's consistently getting 21mpg. This seems too low. No deluxe add-ons, pretty basic model. I drive very conservatively, use regular from Fred Meyers, which has never been a problem with our other cars. The temp gauge doesn't register anything until I'm approximately 2 miles, doesn't get too cold usually in this part of the northwest. Cabin heat takes a lot longer than my wife's Honda Fit and my old Scion XB.

Lots of starts and stops, though. This could be normal.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If I were having this problem with our car, I'd be experimenting with some card board in front of the radiator to see how that effects warmup and general running. I'd caution you to be very careful if you try doing this as it could lead to an overheat condition if not monitored closely. Wouldn't want to fry your engine now would we.
FWIW, we get about the same 'in town' mileage with our '13 model if it's driven by me mostly. But when my wife uses it the mileage is usually around 18-19 or so. This is fine by me since it still beats the heck out of what her old Mustang used to deliver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Purchased new 2018 CRV about 2 months ago, it got about 31 mpg on a 1000 mile road trip, but in town it's consistently getting 21mpg. This seems too low. No deluxe add-ons, pretty basic model. I drive very conservatively, use regular from Fred Meyers, which has never been a problem with our other cars. The temp gauge doesn't register anything until I'm approximately 2 miles, doesn't get too cold usually in this part of the northwest. Cabin heat takes a lot longer than my wife's Honda Fit and my old Scion XB.

Lots of starts and stops, though. This could be normal.

Any thoughts?
Bairi, when you start out 1) put the transmission into “S” (Sport) mode and 2) turn the HVAC to off. I read in another post this speeds warm-up.

Well, I confirmed this works in an experiment this morning. On a 30 degree morning, I normally put the transmission in “D” and the HVAC in “AUTO”. After driving 1.5 miles the coolant temperature is still pegged on COLD. Today, when I put the transmission in “S” and HVAC to off. At the same 1.5 mile mark, my coolant temperature was at 1/4.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I believe that you should turn the AC compressor to the OFF mode...not the entire HVAC.

Works well here in Montana.

Had the 'update' done and it defaulted to the AUTO mode and the shutters were open when I remotely started the car. Changed the AC to OFF and the shutters are closed.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.