Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were returning from a 250 mile trip (primary interstate travel). Our CRV had been running fine during our 3-day mini-vacation until we got off the highway fairly close to our home. As I was waiting for the signal light to change at the top of the off-ramp, the car started to idle very roughly and the "service engine" light came on. When the light changed to green and the 18-wheeler just in front of me started to make a left turn (I was going the same way), I could barely keep up with it. I called our Honda service center from the car and took back roads to get there. The car wouldn't go faster than around 35mph. Giving it more gas just slowed it down even more.

When I arrived at the service reception area, I showed the guy directing me into one of the the service bays the engine light and he heard the rough idle. As I was waiting for the service advisor to take my information I decided to shut the engine off so as not to create more carbon monoxide. When he arrived at my door about 2 minutes later to get my odometer reading and as I was about to relate the issue, I turned the engine back on. No service engine light and no rough idle. Long story short, they kept the car for a couple of days, extensively test drove it, but could NOT duplicate the problem. This car has been giving us LOTS of issues this year; almost $4,000 in repairs: replacement MAP and AC controller sensors and replaced fuel injectors. The issue was very similar to one that resulted in the MAP sensor replacement 6 months ago, but they said diagnostics showed them nothing. My wife is very nervous about taking the car on any long tripes now, although shorter errands that involved interstate driving over the last two weeks have been uneventful. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. We want to be able to trust our CRV! (The car is garaged, I have Honda service centers perform ALL of the recommended maintenance religiously and the odometer is at 78K.)

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
364 Posts
I have never seen a vehicle not leave history codes just by turning off the car, but I'm hearing this a lot on these cars for some reason...

You will be directed here...good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If the service engine light came on, normally there is a freeze frame left in the ECU, that shows the conditions or readings/ parameters of the engines when the light turned on. It could be a case of a small amount of water in the gas, especially if its been rainy where your at or on your trip. Can't always blame the car for transient problems like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never seen a vehicle not leave history codes just by turning off the car, but I'm hearing this a lot on these cars for some reason...

You will be directed here...good luck.

Thanks very much to both chidog and SVTfocusO3 for your replies. I did check out the merged master thread link that SVTfocusO3 mentioned, and although the thread did bear some issues in common with our experience, nothing identical.

I did review our last service summary from a couple of weeks ago and I was told that the only code that appeared during the initial diagnostic was “u100-00 lin communication failure with ecm/pcm”.

Once they cleared the code, it never reappeared during the two days they had our car and test drove it. It wasn’t rainy during our trip, just a bit misty. And the issue didn’t show up until we’d been driving at highway speeds for several hours and then were waiting at the highway off-ramp traffic signal to change.

The symptoms were very similar to the ones we’d experienced early this year which resulted in the service centers (two different Honda dealerships, both in the Columbus, OH area) installing new fuel injectors and new AC control unit, and MAP/MAF/IAT sensors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts