Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,I have a question...
I have a 2018 CR-V Touring I bought new last year. The car has 19000 miles on it.
One of the tires is almost bald. Two others are worn down pretty good.
Is this a known issue or did I just win the shit tire lottery ?
How long are these tires supposed to last ?
Will the dealer do me a solid and give me new tires or prorate the replacements ?
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Semper Fi !

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
The OEM tire quality has been a sore subject for many 'generations' of V.

The factory chooses the tires based on rolling resistance (for MPG), ride, and quietness when new. They never seem to last as long as a good replacement set.

That said, have you been rotating your tires when the Maintenance Minder says indicates? At 19K miles, it should have been called out 2 or 3 times already. If you have one tire with a poor wear pattern, you might have hit a pothole and thrown the settings out of kilter.

Quite frankly, I don't think the dealer will do anything for you. (Never hurts to ask, though.) Save your $$$ for some new rubber, and get an alignment when you buy your new set.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Never buy tires from the dealer, you will pay more. The factory chooses the OE tires based on the price per unit for trainloads of tires shipped to the assembly plant in question. So what comes on new cars changes based on what they can get for the least money. Replace them with brand name quality and not Chinese made.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
Proper Inflation, rotation, alignment. All, maybe even more, necessary with newer cars. I have 15000 miles on my original tires and they still look like new.
I've had brand new Hondas out of alignment. I always ask for free alignment check. Honda pays for one up to 12000 miles. My dealer will do this upon request.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes. Even new vehicles sometimes need an alignment. One day, I was waiting for my wife and watching a truck driver unload vehicles from his long trailer. One of the vehicles was backed up, pulled into the dealer's lot and he "winged" a sharp curb with the brand new vehicle's front right tire. Wow - that's gotta hurt. Bet he didn't tell the dealership of his great driving skills. LOL! Thus, some brand new vehicles at the dealership need alignments as well.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think my 2014 CR-V has the original tires on it, except one tire that was replaced due to a blowout about three years ago. The Honda dealer sold me a matching tire they took off one of the CR-Vs on their lot.
I'm coming up on 40,000 miles on my CR-V and will probably replace the tires later this summer.

As I did the last time I bought tires (for an earlier CR-V I owned), I'll use Tire Rack to research new tires, and then order the tires from them. And I'll have them ship the tires to one of their local installer partners and then call the installer to schedule the mounting and balancing, and probably will also have them do an alignment. The two Tire Rack installers where I live are both Firestone stores, and one of them is within a block or two of several restaurants, so I'll try to schedule a morning appointment, drop the CR-V off, and then get some breakfast.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My OEM Michelin Latitude Sports are still well above the wear marks at 35K km of summer driving. 4 mm total, I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello folks,I have a question...
I have a 2018 CR-V Touring I bought new last year. The car has 19000 miles on it.
One of the tires is almost bald. Two others are worn down pretty good.
Is this a known issue or did I just win the shit tire lottery ?
How long are these tires supposed to last ?
Will the dealer do me a solid and give me new tires or prorate the replacements ?
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Semper Fi !
I have a 2018 CR-V and my tires are bald 26,000 miles. This is my 3 rd CR-V and this one and my last one seem to blow through tires. Is there any type that people are having long tread wear? Thanks, Aimee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same situation here - 2018 CRV EX, 22K miles, just told our tires need to be replaced.
Spoke with the dealership - willing to work with us (minimal discount expected/inflated price - no pun intended).
What are some good tires for my car? Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2017 CRV has 30K miles on it and the OEM Hankook tires show little less than 1/2 wear. I had the alignment done very early on and maybe two rotations since. Looks like 50K is going to be an easy stretch. My first experience with this brand tire but no complaints so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My 2017 AWD Touring has 18k miles on the OEM Hankooks and they are nearing the wear bars. There is more wear on the inside of the rears so it will likely need an alignment but overall they are wearing pretty consistently. They were rotated every MM service but I do drive on local winding roads so it certainly does add to the tire wear. As a matter of fact I really don't spend much time on the freeway unless we are going on a long weekend trip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm at about 32k miles on my '17 Touring, and was told I will need tires soon.

I have Hankooks on mine. I wonder if one can make a warranty claim against the tire manufacturer, as I have to imagine these tires have a 50k - 70k tread warranty on them. Does anyone here know?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
I'm at about 32k miles on my '17 Touring, and was told I will need tires soon.

I have Hancooks on mine. I wonder if one can make a warranty claim against the tire manufacturer, as I have to imagine these tires have a 50k - 70k tread warranty on them. Does anyone here know?
Normally, tires that are original equipment on new cars do not come with any mileage warranties.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring
111 Posts
Same situation here - 2018 CRV EX, 22K miles, just told our tires need to be replaced.
Spoke with the dealership - willing to work with us (minimal discount expected/inflated price - no pun intended).
What are some good tires for my car? Thanks!
If you haven't bought already check out Michelin. You might pay a little more but the tread life and ride comfort will more than make up for it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
My local dealer no longer rotates tires automatically. Perhaps its their new game.

What puzzles me about the OP is that they say only one tire has worn out. That raises questions of alignment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hankook shows 70K for the Kinergy GT which is clearly not even remotely realistic. I have 19K on mine and they are close to the wear bars and the winter season is approaching. I have Michelins being installed on the the 29th of this month and are more than happy to see these go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts