Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise on the advantages or differences in the wheel size option?
I’m comparing 2018 leftover on the lot an exl awd with a touring. The touring already has the 19” wheels.
I think it feels like it handles tighter but wondering if it’s in my head bc I know there is a difference in wheels size....but only one inch?! Can anyone advise on if it’s worth the money for the bigger wheels?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Heavier, slightly harsher ride, more susceptible to damage from a pot hole, I believe 19” replacement tires are more expensive than 18”, shorter sidewall (less flex) equals slightly better cornering performance.

Worth the money?.......that’s got to be your call.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
that 1 inch will take your radius turn away look at the specs you'll see the diffferences there

·
Registered
751 Posts
that 1 inch will take your radius turn away look at the specs you'll see the diffferences there
You're way off base here, given the 19" wheels are through the dealership, I'd bet the overall tire diameter is still the same due to the lower profile sidewall. The OP didn't say what size the tires are but even if they were larger, as long as they don't rub, and driver can still use the full steering angle, the vehicle will turn within the same radius regardless the larger tire. What determines turning radius is wheelbase and steering angle, not wheel size.

My recommendation would be to stick with the factory size, the dealership only added the 19" wheels and tires to mark up the vehicle and increase their profit margin. However, if the dealership is willing to include the upgraded 19" at no extra cost (which I doubt) they do have the advantage of being unique as very few buyers upgrade to the 19" wheels.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Bigger wheels/low profile tires are trendy. This is what most people want these days.

As was mentioned they provide for better handling on dry pavement.

Downsides = worse handling in wet/icy conditions, harsher/bumpier ride, more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The 235/55/19 tire/wheel combo (that Honda uses) on the CRV is virtually the same overall tire diameter (mathematically) as the 235/60/18 tire/wheel combo. Less than 8/100" difference in overall tire diameter.

I notice Honda wants almost $2300 for the 19" wheel as an accessory but Cheaper Honda parts charges $246/wheel as a replacement price (19"). As I stated, the ride will be slightly harsher, the cornering will be slightly better but watch out for those big pot holes.

Wow, just noticed that butt-ugly 18" ninja wheel costs slightly more to replace than the 19" wheel (at Cheaper Honda Parts)....go figure.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Duplicate post......sorry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2019 came with 17" wheels and Bridgestone tires. You can have the same overall diameter with a 15" wheel and a 20" . The tires aspect aka sidewall being the determining factor. The smaller the wheel the more forgiving the ride. The tire flexes and takes more of the hit. Speaking of flex,ever seen a wrinkle wall slick at the drag races.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
2 questions for the OP: what tires are on the 19" Touring? Second question is are they charging MSRP for both vehicles? This time of year you should be getting some deals. I'd lean towards the Touring unless you drive on a lot of very rough roads. The CR-V is a relatively light vehicle and the lower profile tires on the 19" are not going to be stressed by normal pounding. And the trade-off is crisper response, more feedback and higher cornering capacity in both dry and wet. Snow is a whole other story but the difference between the 18"s and the 19"s there would be much more determined by tire type than the difference in profile. The OEM A/S tires on either sized wheel are both going to be a compromise in snow.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Aspect ratio AND section width of the tire factor into over all tire diameter. The aspect ratio is a percentage of the section width. Gotta use both, along with rim diameter to mathematically determine overall tire diameter.

Section Width X Aspect Ratio X 2 / 25.4 + Rim Diameter = Overall Tire Diameter. This applies to metric sized tires.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I find it baffling why someone would want to put 19" wheels on a CR-V. Must be for looks only as you're never going to corner hard enough in a CR-V to notice the difference, IMO.
I have 19's on my Accord and can attest to the harshness of the ride. I'm almost to the point of getting rid of it just to get a nicer ride in my old age.

Forgot to add, you might just want to check the price of replacement tires before deciding too. 19's ain't cheap.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The 19” tire has a 55 aspect ratio and the 18” tire has a 60 aspect ratio. Section width is the same (235).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 20 inch rims on my 2017 CRV Touring awd with Michelin Premier LTX 255x45x20 tires and I really enjoy them. They looks great and quality of ride are close to OEM. The original Touring rims and tires I installed on my 2012 CRV EXL AWD.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Another excellent example of plus sizing wheels on a 2017 CRV AND maintaining the all important factory original overall tire diameter.:doublethumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts