Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a roof rack and am considering an exl vs. A touring. The touring has the rails on it, but the exl is really all I need spec wise.
I look on honda accessories under this trim and it says cross rails but there is no picture. Does it come with the side roof bars as well? Is that the only add on i’d Need to get a roof rack on an exl?
To look for a photo i looked outside the honda website, I also saw on another auto parts website and saw part SKU (roof rack) 08L02-TLA-100A has a photo of the cross bars - is that all i need or i need to add the side running rails too?

Doesn’t seem like i need to pay extra for the touring if i can add on roof rack to exl
Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
IF the SIde rails came standard and not an option there will be clips to pop off and add Hex bolts two on each side of the cross bars.

At Handa-accessories $252 give or take the instructions https://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/17rack.pdf

I suggest tto add BLUE locktite on the threads of the bolts away from plastic and allow to dry then apply the racks

good luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
Have you considered a "Clamp On" roof rack?
I also have an EXL and I was going to get one of that type for my canoes because their spread is longer. Alas, when I did a dry run I realized that the CRV was a little too tall for us old folks to hoist a canoe onto, we were used to a Passat wagon.
The super nice thing about the clamp on is the ability to easily remove it and it's noise when not in use.

etrailer and rackattack are 2 good resources for information.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you considered a "Clamp On" roof rack?
I also have an EXL and I was going to get one of that type for my canoes because their spread is longer. Alas, when I did a dry run I realized that the CRV was a little too tall for us old folks to hoist a canoe onto, we were used to a Passat wagon.
The super nice thing about the clamp on is the ability to easily remove it and it's noise when not in use.

etrailer and rackattack are 2 good resources for information.

Bob, have you looked at getting a trailer for your canoes? https://www.rackwarehouse.com/malon...DlTVCfwT8VcAxldH3z-eMIJ4M_V_y55UaAhOoEALw_wcB

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have two kayaks I need to haul as well

when my wife bought her CRV I thought it had a delete installing a roof rack

So I'll be watching this thread hopefully there's a good solution

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks FASTFJR,

I had two Royalex canoes when I bought the CRV, the iconic 12’ 33 lb Old Town Pack single and a 14.7’ 55 lb Mad River Quest double.
I bought each of them barely used for peanuts and had them for almost 20 years. In recent years we tended to use only the larger one maybe once a year.
When I considered the cost of the trailer and all that entails in Pa I decided against it. Just the cost of the trailer was 3 times my total investment in the canoes.
I decided to sell them because they were great canoes made of now unavailable Royalex that others could enjoy. In 17 I sold the Pack in 3 days to a professor from Maryland. In 18 I sold the Quest in a week to a lawyer from the Mainline.

How’s the Pilot working out?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Here's another option......https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660342_200660342. Should be easy to add a tongue extension.

I bought one from Northern (the cheaper steel version) and it has been handy as pocket on a shirt for all kinds of light hauling. I also like being able to stand it up out of the way (easy one man operation up/down), out of the weather, in the garage. I've added easily removable sides for loose gravel hauling.:thumb:

fullsizeoutput_43.jpg

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist adding to this post.

My garage has 12 foot ceilings, so I decided to take full advantage of this.
Above our minivan is an aluminum trailer, with a bed 54 inches wide, 10 foot long.

Using a system of pulleys and a 1500 lb hoist in the garage attic, I can simply lower the trailer to the ground. Takes less than 5 minutes to complete the process.

Also, behind the trailer is a shelf 20 feet long and 4 feet deep. I put things in the trailer, and lift them up to the shelf. I lower the trailer tailgate to bridge the gap from the trailer to shelf.

So, lawnmower and other summer stuff go up in the fall, and are swapped out with the two snowblowers in the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Now how cool/clever is that.:doublethumb:

·
Registered
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
124 Posts
Even though your post was hijacked into a totally different area, I’ll answer that yes, you can get a Honda roof rack. The price lists are rather vague but you do need the rails and the crossbars. We have one on our 18 CR-V EX-L, and it was about $500 installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ooops, sorry for the hi-jack.....I think we were trying to provide other, more versatile, options.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Now that's dayum slick.:thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I want a roof rack and am considering an exl vs. A touring. The touring has the rails on it, but the exl is really all I need spec wise.
I look on honda accessories under this trim and it says cross rails but there is no picture. Does it come with the side roof bars as well? Is that the only add on i’d Need to get a roof rack on an exl?
To look for a photo i looked outside the honda website, I also saw on another auto parts website and saw part SKU (roof rack) 08L02-TLA-100A has a photo of the cross bars - is that all i need or i need to add the side running rails too?

Doesn’t seem like i need to pay extra for the touring if i can add on roof rack to exl
Any advice?

Any advice?
I went Yakima.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Rack section.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts