Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 EXL that we purchased new in February that has around 5000 miles on it. In the last couple of days an interesting issue has popped up. I frequently get tools out of the back of this vehicle so I use the button on the back of the vehicle to activate the power liftgate and leave the fob in my pocket. Yesterday morning I did just that before I left for work and no issues. Drove to work approximately five miles and got out walked into the building and came back out to retrieve something from the rear of the vehicle and nothing. Tried many times during the day and it never worked. Checked the setting for the liftgate on the head unit and they were set correctly as before. Parked in the garage overnight and went out this morning and it was working normally. Opened and closed it with the button three times no issue. I then drove to work parked, let the car lock itself and tried the liftgate and NOTHING at all no actuator button or lock button. I tried it several times today to no avail. Drove it home and parked in the garage and it is now working just fine! The only thing that I can see at this point that this could be is the first day we had wet roads and raining all day, the second day it had just rained and we again had wet roads but it cleared up and was dry on the drive home. Does anyone here know if there have been any issues like this with the 2017/2018 vehicles with the power liftgate? My dealer claims they have never seen this before. It seems very odd to me that the switch could be getting water in it as light as the rain was both days but is the only common denominator I can think of.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a 2018 EXL that we purchased new in February that has around 5000 miles on it. In the last couple of days an interesting issue has popped up. I frequently get tools out of the back of this vehicle so I use the button on the back of the vehicle to activate the power liftgate and leave the fob in my pocket. Yesterday morning I did just that before I left for work and no issues. Drove to work approximately five miles and got out walked into the building and came back out to retrieve something from the rear of the vehicle and nothing. Tried many times during the day and it never worked. Checked the setting for the liftgate on the head unit and they were set correctly as before. Parked in the garage overnight and went out this morning and it was working normally. Opened and closed it with the button three times no issue. I then drove to work parked, let the car lock itself and tried the liftgate and NOTHING at all no actuator button or lock button. I tried it several times today to no avail. Drove it home and parked in the garage and it is now working just fine! The only thing that I can see at this point that this could be is the first day we had wet roads and raining all day, the second day it had just rained and we again had wet roads but it cleared up and was dry on the drive home. Does anyone here know if there have been any issues like this with the 2017/2018 vehicles with the power liftgate? My dealer claims they have never seen this before. It seems very odd to me that the switch could be getting water in it as light as the rain was both days but is the only common denominator I can think of.
Appears the vehicle is not detecting the key fob when at work. The hatch buttons won't work if the fob isn't detected. Are you keeping your fob beside a cell phone or other electronic device when at work? That could do it. Fob should be in a separate pocket. Are the fob batteries borderline? Is there work equipment causing electro-magnetic interference?

What's different at your house?
1) Less electro-magnetic interference
2) Are the doors unlocked? If so, the hatch OPEN button will work even if the fob is not detected. (If you have 2 step unlocking, the hatch OPEN button works without the fob only when all 4 doors are unlocked)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,669 Posts
In addition to what marty1 said, I seem to remember that some LED light bulbs may create or cause some kind of interference...i know it has caused garage door remotes to not work properly. Not sure if this is the issue, but marty1 lead me down the thinking that it may be location specific. Maybe there are LED lights near your parking spot at work? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you have another fob or phone in your pocket or BETWEEN the fob and vehicle sometimes it wont send the commands.
Ive had it happen a few times pushing lock while key was still in my pocket, then i’ll move rhe fob next to our other car one and works fine.

Maybe something at the work site is interfering like the other people said

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,759 Posts
I've had the phone between the fob and car and yes, the phone wins, masking the fob. Result car won't unlock, doors won't open...
I call that an educational moment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after much trial and error I may have this issue narrowed down. Like I said I have owned this vehicle approximately 8 months and have never had this issue present itself. I park in exactly the same place every day, and have worked for this company for thirty five years. I work for an electric utility in a service center, we have no electric distribution equipment at this location. We are however less than a mile as the crow flies from our local CBS affiliates tower. This does seem to be an interference issue of some kind that has just presented itself. I can pretty much park ANYWHERE other than this spot and the rear button will work. We have also in the last two weeks or so had IT and communications folks at or location working on our equipment addressing some type of problem but due to being in the field I have not been able to inquire as to what if anything is going on. Thanks to all that offered suggestions, Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well after much trial and error I may have this issue narrowed down. Like I said I have owned this vehicle approximately 8 months and have never had this issue present itself. I park in exactly the same place every day, and have worked for this company for thirty five years. I work for an electric utility in a service center, we have no electric distribution equipment at this location. We are however less than a mile as the crow flies from our local CBS affiliates tower. This does seem to be an interference issue of some kind that has just presented itself. I can pretty much park ANYWHERE other than this spot and the rear button will work. We have also in the last two weeks or so had IT and communications folks at or location working on our equipment addressing some type of problem but due to being in the field I have not been able to inquire as to what if anything is going on. Thanks to all that offered suggestions, Jim
One difference is your fob battery is now 8 months old and weaker. I'd try changing it. It's easy to do. Instructions on P. 609 of your manual. The CR2032 battery is inexpensive and readily available.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You may want to contact the FCC Region 1 office, and file a radio interference complaint. They actually have vans of equipment and engineers dedicated to finding the source of problems like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts