Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CR-V did not come with roof rails. I am debating adding roof rails and then the cross bars and a luggage or cargo carrier. Should I go with the roof rails or just install a roof rack ?? What is your opinion? Thanks

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
My opinion is the OEM rail system is flimsy (and expensive). I went with a used Rhino-Rack system, including a bike carrier, for $70. Original owner claimed they originally cost $500. I don't know if that's factual but it is quite robust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im not at all a fan of the new rails and crossbars system. It may work OK for a fixed structure load(like a cargo carrier, bike carrier, boat- though there are issues w lift gate and load conflicts because crossbars are in fixed positions) but for irregular loads I think this new system is a huge step down from the 2005 I had, no good tie points for lashing, not as heavily built, less clearance under bars. Theres a bunch of threads on this

Look at the bottom of this post in the section roof attatchments

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
My opinion is the OEM rail system is flimsy (and expensive). I went with a used Rhino-Rack system, including a bike carrier, for $70. Original owner claimed they originally cost $500. I don't know if that's factual but it is quite robust.

View attachment 134689
I wouldn't say OEM is flimsy but it is expensive. (BTW you scored paying $70 for yours.) What I would say is that OEM is a LOT more attractive but you're correct in that if bang for the buck is the object then OEM is not the way to go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2017 EXL and recently went with the factory Honda Rook Racks. You do not need to buy the rails and crossbars if you go this route. It would be like less than half price of the rails and crossbars. You do have to cut the top trim piece to install it but otherwise no big deal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the OEM roof rails and crossbars installed and prefer the factory look. They are sleek. Not sure why the poster above said they are flimsy - they are anything but and rated for 160 lbs which is more than my large Thule Box is rated for.

Aftermarket options on the CRV look tacky and bolt on including Thule's own...

None of this is cheap.

·
Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
182 Posts
Stupidly paid over $700 for the Honda OEM rails and crossbars When we bought our 2018 EX-L. Never again as we’ve never used them for anything but to mount Christmas lights on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts