Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Vermont. It can snow, rain, sleet anytime here unexpectedly. I took delivery of my new Honda CRV six days ago. I was taking a 50 mile trip today when I encountered snow, sleet and freezing rain and orange lights flooded my dashboard saying driver assistance features were disabled and radar was obstructed. I’m 76 years young and went in to panic mode. I was halfway to my destination. I pulled off the road, shut the car off and turned it back on hoping it would reset. No luck. I continued my trip minus the safety features (one of the reasons I bought this car). When I got where I was going I stopped at the Honda garage. Service man took a look at the car and showed me where the ice had backed up on radar panel. He cleaned it off and all was ok. I called my dealership and spoke to the general manager. He said unfortunately that is a problem that Honda has not been able to correct. I asked if this would happen every time it snowed. He said probably. I’m not okay with that. Has anyone in snow country had this problem and is there a fix?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi,
The honda sensing is driver aides, if snow is disabling the sensors/radar the dash is just letting you know.
Its common with build up in cold/snowy areas, just remember that 90% of the cars on the road dont have it and get along just fine & honestly you shouldnt be using half of the sensing in snow.

Congrats on the car & dont let that get you down

·
Registered
865 Posts
I live in Vermont. It can snow, rain, sleet anytime here unexpectedly. I took delivery of my new Honda CRV six days ago. I was taking a 50 mile trip today when I encountered snow, sleet and freezing rain and orange lights flooded my dashboard saying driver assistance features were disabled and radar was obstructed. I’m 76 years young and went in to panic mode. I was halfway to my destination. I pulled off the road, shut the car off and turned it back on hoping it would reset. No luck. I continued my trip minus the safety features (one of the reasons I bought this car). When I got where I was going I stopped at the Honda garage. Service man took a look at the car and showed me where the ice had backed up on radar panel. He cleaned it off and all was ok. I called my dealership and spoke to the general manager. He said unfortunately that is a problem that Honda has not been able to correct. I asked if this would happen every time it snowed. He said probably. I’m not okay with that. Has anyone in snow country had this problem and is there a fix?
I haven't tried but you might try white silicone spray. I use it on my snowblower with mostly good results. Have to reapply each storm though.

It won't cure it but may help it clear quicker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
I haven't tried but you might try white silicone spray. I use it on my snowblower with mostly good results. Have to reapply each storm though.

Good idea! AND I'll try it on my snow blower as well!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Spraying silicone spray on a $500 sensor Doesn’t seem like the best idea imo
But whatever blows your hair back

·
Registered
865 Posts
Spraying silicone spray on a $500 sensor Doesn’t seem like the best idea imo
But whatever blows your hair back
The sensor is behind the grill. The plastic cover is just that, a piece of plastic that isnt connected. But yes, if it's not for you don't do it. Probably a good idea to spray it on a rag and wipe the cover to prevent overspray to your point regardless.

Silicone spray isnt permanent fwiw. It's not a sealant or caulk or anything like that. More like wd40 but better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.