Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Honda CRV EX-L which I purchased in January had a noise coming while I was driving on the highway near LA this weekend. It only has 6k miles on it. Upon taking it to the dealership, they inspected and found that oil wasn't circulating to the top half of the engine that led to the failure. Also, they claim that this isn't a normal failure from the engine and its due to "other issues" ex. due to improper management of the vehicle. The inspection also revealed that the top cylinder is completely worn and beyond repair (so replacement of top half cylinder or entire engine will be required). I had the vehicle serviced at 5k (for oil change) at another dealership in Bay Area and they performed multi-point inspection and claimed everything was working fine.

To me this seems its either the dealers fault or lack of improper diagnosis on Honda's front. How do I take this forward and identify the right party to take ownership of this issue? Any tips or suggestions in this regard will be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Definitely a warranty issue, but since they've got the engine torn apart taking it to a different dealer would be difficult.

So show them the receipt from the other dealer showing that you did have the oil changed. If they still refuse to fix it, then it's time to call Honda Corporate and open a case.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
To the OP, would it be possible to post exactly, in the dealership’s exact words, what they found upon engine tear down?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,069 Posts
That would still be a warranty issue. Drive in take a look at your car. Betcha it's still in one piece.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hope the OP keeps this thread alive. The details would be interesting.?

Reactions: GDCRV18

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2018 Honda CRV EX-L which I purchased in January had a noise coming while I was driving on the highway near LA this weekend. It only has 6k miles on it. Upon taking it to the dealership, they inspected and found that oil wasn't circulating to the top half of the engine that led to the failure. Also, they claim that this isn't a normal failure from the engine and its due to "other issues" ex. due to improper management of the vehicle. I had the vehicle serviced at 5k (for oil change) at another dealership in Bay Area and they performed multi-point inspection and claimed everything was working fine.

To me this seems its either the dealers fault or lack of improper diagnosis on Honda's front. How do I take this forward and identify the right party to take ownership of this issue? Any tips or suggestions in this regard will be highly appreciated!
Definitely a warranty issue, but since they've got the engine torn apart taking it to a different dealer would be difficult.

So show them the receipt from the other dealer showing that you did have the oil changed. If they still refuse to fix it, then it's time to call Honda Corporate and open a case.
The challenge for me is that my CRV broke down (started making a squeaking noise from engine and stopped running while in parking lot) 350 miles away from home and I had to take a rental to get back. So changing a dealer now would be a bit of challenge. Going by the suggestions here, I am planning to call Honda and open a case.

I have forwarded my oil change and inspection report that was done at 5k miles to the current dealer (LA) and he is trying to determine if the dealer in Bay Area (SFO) will bear the cost for taking apart the engine and doing any repairs. It sounded like Honda is backing away from taking up ownership of the issue here, given that the dealership would be paying.

The number I plan to call is 1-800-999-1009. If there is a better helpline, let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were they more specific than "it's due to other issues ex. due to improper management of the vehicle"? Was there an inadequate level of oil in the engine, oil filter failure. What are they implying?
They haven't given a very conclusive answer yet. The initial suspicion is that improper circulation/blocking of the engine has led to no oil on the top cylinder/compartment (I might be mis-using some terms here) as per the verbal update I got from service advisor. One possibility that was hypothesized was that some thing was erroneously done during the oil change that led to the fault. I have asked for a written report of the initial inspection to have a more accurate understanding of the problem which I haven't received yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To the OP, would it be possible to post exactly, in the dealership’s exact words, what they found upon engine tear down?
They haven't given a very conclusive answer yet. The initial suspicion is that improper circulation/blocking of the engine has led to no oil on the top cylinder/compartment (I might be mis-using some terms here) as per the verbal update I got from service advisor. One possibility that was hypothesized was that some thing was erroneously done during the oil change that led to the fault. I have asked for a written report of the initial inspection to have a more accurate understanding of the problem which I haven't received yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like a warranty issue so the dealership doesn't bear any cost for the work.
They do the work and submit claim to Honda for reimbursement.

If its truly a problem with a cylinder being worn or scored then the block is ruined and its either a new engine or short block assembly.

Good luck with the repair.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
" The initial suspicion is that improper circulation/blocking of the engine has led to no oil on the top cylinder/compartment"

Try to get this in writing. This doesn't sound like they are actually telling you what is wrong, it sounds like an effect, not a cause, or it is just BS.

Either the SF dealer somehow messed up the oil change and didn't put enough oil in there or didn't tighten the drain or filter (unlikely since no oil light), or the engine is defective in some way, such as a bad oil pump, defective pick up tube, some metal debris in the engine... all explanations are actually unlikely since you had no oil light. So maybe that is also defective. Either way why is this your problem?

" It sounded like Honda is backing away from taking up ownership of the issue here," Did you call Honda? It's bizarre they wouldn't take ownership of an engine failure in car with 6000 miles on it. Doesn't even sound possible. Call them up and if you get a hassle tell them you are going to hire a lawyer and sue them. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
426 Posts
One of the first things the LA Dealership likely did was to check the oil level when it arrived.

If it was at a proper level then the oil change probably didn't cause the problem and you have a warranty issue.
If it was not at a proper level then the Bay Dealership may be at fault.
If it's a blocked oil filter I'd think it would go back to warranty since it was changed at a authorized Dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
One of the first things the LA Dealership likely did was to check the oil level when it arrived.

If it was at a proper level then the oil change probably didn't cause the problem and you have a warranty issue.
If it's a blocked oil filter I'd think it would go back to warranty since it was changed at a authorized Dealership.
Either way.. it is up to Honda Corporate to get involved and resolve the issue and get the engine fixed. Both dealers are authorized Honda dealers according to what we have been told here.. and if the dealers cannot agree.. it is up to Honda to keep them honest and resolve the issue. By the way... Honda is pretty tough on their dealers when they do not treat the customer well.. and Honda can and will force a resolution here. Most dealers are genuinely scared to get a bad review from a Customer when Honda sends the customer a feedback request on service or maintenance.

So.. owner needs Honda corporate involved here to end the finger pointing between dealers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
" The initial suspicion is that improper circulation/blocking of the engine has led to no oil on the top cylinder/compartment"

Try to get this in writing. This doesn't sound like they are actually telling you what is wrong, it sounds like an effect, not a cause, or it is just BS.

Either the SF dealer somehow messed up the oil change and didn't put enough oil in there or didn't tighten the drain or filter (unlikely since no oil light), or the engine is defective in some way, such as a bad oil pump, defective pick up tube, some metal debris in the engine... all explanations are actually unlikely since you had no oil light. So maybe that is also defective. Either way why is this your problem?

" It sounded like Honda is backing away from taking up ownership of the issue here," Did you call Honda? It's bizarre they wouldn't take ownership of an engine failure in car with 6000 miles on it. Doesn't even sound possible. Call them up and if you get a hassle tell them you are going to hire a lawyer and sue them. This is ridiculous.
Today, the dealer from LA spoke to the dealer in Bay Area and has received authorization to take the engine cylinder apart and get a replacement. The suspicion now is that there could have been a blocked plastic/air filter cover that got in the way during my first service (in Bay Area). So the dealer will be replacing the engine cylinder at no cost.
However, I am concerned that integrity of my new car's engine is compromised due to no fault of mine. I am thinking of asking for the dealership at fault to provide an extension to my vehicle warranty. Is this reasonable or should I call Honda directly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The suspicion is that oil was filled correctly but filter might have been inserted with plastic on it which could have blocked the circulation

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.