Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week my sister's push button on her 2017 CRV popped out leaving her stranded. I have a 2018 CRV EXL. I called Honda this afternoon and asked them if mine was covered under warranty. They said with hesitation, "NO." But said if it pops out they would replace it. I have a very early 2018. Is this problem restricted to 2017 models? I feel very uncomfortable with this situation.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It was an issue with the 2017 models.
Been very few reports of problems with 2018 models.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Dealer will install a new one.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,017 Posts
only till people come forward.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The service writer, where we bought our V, just laughed when I called about the button......said they had replaced a number of them. He said bring it in, give us 30 minutes, we'll have you on your way. Covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
It's a common known defect, and the dealers now have a TSB which instructs them to replace the old buttons with a new design one when your vehicle is brought in for routine service and maintenance. All dealers my not yet be stocked with sufficient parts and doing routine replacements yet.

As for is this covered by warranty... YES .. it is. It is also now covered by TSBs in the US and also in Canada to eventually replace every old button design in the field.

The reason some dealers will wobble or waffle on the question of is it covered under warranty is because they typically do not warranty plastic parts like knobs, buttons etc... but in this case the button is integral to the safe operation of the transmission so any owner who gets told otherwise should simply remind them there is a formal TSB in place for an admitted button defect during manufacture.

Out of warranty... the button is about $12 and is easy to replace by an owner if they know how to put the shift lever all the way down past "L" which frees the interlock rod inside the shifter so you can remove and replace the button. Dealers have a bit different procedure that requires disassembly of the shift lever (as outlined in the TSB)

My suggestion is for any owner with this issue or who will be visiting a dealer for routine service or maintenance.. print out a copy of the TSB and bring it with you and make sure they apply it to your CRV. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160912-0001.pdf

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just don't buy the button from your Honda dealers parts department because they will hose you for $38.00 Buy it online and save a bunch. Id go so far as to buy it ahead of time just in case, you never know when it will happen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This past week my sister's push button on her 2017 CRV popped out leaving her stranded. I have a 2018 CRV EXL. I called Honda this afternoon and asked them if mine was covered under warranty. They said with hesitation, "NO." But said if it pops out they would replace it. I have a very early 2018. Is this problem restricted to 2017 models? I feel very uncomfortable with this situation.
Yep. Happened on my wife’s 2017. A common issue. I was able to get it into drive by putting a screw driver into the hole left by the missing button.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep. Happened on my wife’s 2017. A common issue. I was able to get it into drive by putting a screw driver into the hole left by the missing button.
I also have 2017 CRV EX
I was stuck in Costco parking until I found a bandaid to hold button in & played with it pushing Release button different ways to connect‼‼
Honda replaced it under warranty & I was out a 45 minutes 1 way & my time while they fixed THEIR MISTAKE -
Once again‼‼
Not REAL HAPPY WITH THIS VEHICLE -should have stayed with Toyota??

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,017 Posts
think they were 11.00 Yep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Happened with my 2017 also. Popped out into my hand, quite a surprise. Merely stuck it back into the hole from whence it came and it worked the way it always had. My fear was that some day it would not, Took it back to the dealer, took them about 20 minutes to replace, and that was that. They told me that was a design issue and they have done several.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It is so common down in South Texas. You just pull in and they put a new plastic part in under the greeting area. 5 minutes tops..

·
Registered
277 Posts
My dealer is swamped with recalls. If you want to wait for a any work they give you a 2.5 hour wait time. This is if you have an appointment time.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
Happened with my 2017 also. Popped out into my hand, quite a surprise. Merely stuck it back into the hole from whence it came and it worked the way it always had. My fear was that some day it would not, Took it back to the dealer, took them about 20 minutes to replace, and that was that. They told me that was a design issue and they have done several.
Yeah.. mine popped onto the floor one morning. I picked it up, slid it back in and as long as I did not let the spring snap it back (I just removed the spring) .. it stayed in and worked fine until I got to the dealer to have it replaced. Some have put tape on it as an extra measure to keep it from popping back out once it breaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts