Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V. I wanted to know if there are any limitations to using Sport mode. For example, does it wear on the engine significantly more than just Drive? Is there a negative to using it all the time? And is there a maximum RPM / speed?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Sport mode changes 'gear ratio' algorithms to provide more spirited-feeling acceleration.

The higher RPMs should never cause wear. I've always been a proponent of 'exercising' an engine: running them into the higher reaches of the tach.

Depending on your driving style, it MIGHT use more gas. You'll need to do a couple weekly comparisons by tanks of gas, to see. I know there are comparisons here on NORMAL VS ECON modes, not sure about SPORT.

These days, the max RPM is electronically controlled. It MIGHT be different for different conditions. IE, it might cut fuel sooner on a cold engine. I KNOW the ECU won't allow high RPMs in neutral.

Sport Mode also helps you engine warm up faster.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V. I wanted to know if there are any limitations to using Sport mode. For example, does it wear on the engine significantly more than just Drive? Is there a negative to using it all the time? And is there a maximum RPM / speed?
Carbuff covers it well, but just to reiterate I use it on cold mornings to warm up faster. Also use it from time to time to merge or pull out in tight situations, and if I get bored and want to be a little more engaged in my commute.

It is like gear ratios but not totally... Eg you can drop it into sport at 70mph and it isn't like dropping it into 2nd.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use "S" mode quite a bit since I put most of my miles locally around town and on winding roads. I do move to "D" on the freeways but I do enjoy the quicker response. Keep in mind that it really isn't changing the HP output or anything like that it simply puts the engine/turbo more on boost so there is reduced engine and CVT lag when accelerating. I used to own a Mazda Miata and driving long distances at 70+ keep the engining spinning in the 4K RPM range with no long term impacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts