Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months and 2500 miles in my new CR-V Touring AWD. Very surprised that whenever I drive in very heavy rain or ice/snow, the dash tells me that the driver safety aids (lane departure, collision avoidance) have been turned off because the radar is blocked. So.... Honda engineers designed a system that cannot cope with a bit of rain / snow, and turns off these things at precisely the time I may actually need them?

· Registered
430 Posts
as far as I know, all vehicles that has these safety features disengages them when there is heavy snow and rain, I don't think any system can detect the lane markings when it is covered with snow or rain. Snow and rain also impedes the radar to give accurate reading on cars in front. Slowing down is the best policy. If your thinking of "AI" capabilities, get a Tesla, I bet those $100k+ cars can't do it either.

:kaboom

· Premium Member
5,909 Posts
as far as I know, all vehicles that has these safety features disengages them when there is heavy snow and rain, I don't think any system can detect the lane markings when it is covered with snow or rain. Snow and rain also impedes the radar to give accurate reading on cars in front. Slowing down is the best policy.
Which makes me question if we will ever really see true autonomous vehicles.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
2 months and 2500 miles in my new CR-V Touring AWD. Very surprised that whenever I drive in very heavy rain or ice/snow, the dash tells me that the driver safety aids (lane departure, collision avoidance) have been turned off because the radar is blocked. So.... Honda engineers designed a system that cannot cope with a bit of rain / snow, and turns off these things at precisely the time I may actually need them?
I have been driving my 2017 Touring since Jan. of 2017 and put over 20k miles on it in all sorts of bad weather. I can think of only two or three times when the safety aides turned off. To be fair when it did happen the weather was really bad! Snow and ice packed up on the front of the car and once or twice during Monsoon like rains. I just don't see it as a problem as I think back about how nasty it was out when it occurred and how very few times it even happened at all. As for being the time you actually needed them most, the conditions when I saw mine shut down were so bad I probably should have stopped and took a break from the extreme weather. No system is perfect and those lawyers know if they don't shut down and someone crashes they will be in court. Its clearly presented as a "driver's aide" not a system that will protect you under all circumstances. Welcome to the real world where technology does have limits.

· Registered
858 Posts
Which makes me question if we will ever really see true autonomous vehicles.
The next big jump is about high resolution maps and GPS. If you can get rid of the reliance on vision and use radar only and maps, weather is less of an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,565 Posts
The trouble with relying on maps is, will they be updated often enough (and, FOR FREE)?

I know of several of our family's in dash GPS systems that have never been updated because A. they want $100 to do it ONCE and B. Phone guidance apps are better.

I'm sure eventually that everything will be ironed out, but what happens when the GPS system is upgraded, and 15 year old cars can't use it? :Hmmmmm:

Advances in technology and new demands on the existing system have now led to efforts to modernize the GPS and implement the next generation of GPS Block IIIA satellites and Next Generation Operational Control System (OCX)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

· Registered
278 Posts
GPS technology will completely outpace my intended length of ownership for this car and therefore, the GPS in it, which felt cumbersome and outmoded the day I bought it. The GPS/map on the iPhone is leagues better in terms of detail, speed, accuracy, touch response, and fluidity of the graphics. This is no surprise of course, it's just a shame that they don't allow us to option out the GPS in place of some other feature.

· Registered
85 Posts
Service dept. tells me that one of the sensors is blocked: there are 3-one on the front windshield where the rear view mirror attaches, one on the front grill where the H is attached and one on the backup camera in the middle of the back door. When mine had that radar notice I just cleaned off the front windshield totally and it disappeared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.