Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is several threads regarding gas in oil so I hope my question hasn’t been brought up. I have a 2018 AWD Touring, bought new in NC. I have been noticing extreme gas odor when the climate control is set to fresh air. The issue is more prevalent just after start.

Have any of you noticed this?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
There's always a first time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please take the time to read through the other threads on this same topic. I am fairly positive the insights you gain from that information will help with the question you are asking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please take the time to read through the other threads on this same topic. I am fairly positive the insights you gain from that information will help with the question you are asking.
I’ve read through countless threads about the oil dilution and what Honda has been doing. I do not have the slow to heat issue but I’m going to have the oil changed at the dealership and see if I do have fuel in oil.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I’ve read through countless threads about the oil dilution and what Honda has been doing. I do not have the slow to heat issue but I’m going to have the oil changed at the dealership and see if I do have fuel in oil.
I wouldn't count on the dealership to help you determine oil dilution. Start checking it yourself. Wait about three minutes after you turn off the engine. Check once a week. Also note it is common for the engine oil to be overfilled from the dealer, even when new. Also if you are concerned, draw a little oil out and send it in for analysis.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What's the update? I read elsewhere there is no fix or patch for this problem?

BTW, I have found that if I turn recirculate on before turning the car off it prevents the smell.
Have you checked your oil? If not, check it right now and let us know how full it is. If it's overfilled enough (either due to being overfilled at the factory or due to gasoline dilution) it could wreck your engine. You need to drain the oil and get it to the correct level. Just turning your stupid fan to the recirculate mode isn't the right way to fix the problem.

And yes their "fix" for this problem has to to with the programming for the heating unit. Honda USA has been very careful to not admit to having any issues with oil dilution or to make any mention of it with their recalls or service bulletins. Supposedly by reprogramming how the heating system works, it somehow helps with the dilution problem.

I've read that it's not easy to get Honda to agree to give you the software update, but if you and/or your dealer make enough noise you should be able to get it.

Keep us posted as to what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have this symptom, usually after a drive and a startup shortly right after. Not all the times but not very rarely either. Of course if you can't reproduce it at the dealership then it is not an issue as far as they concern. Very weird problem indeed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts