Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused2: I've read a few threads about transmission fluid leaks on 2017-2018 CR-Vs. So I'm confused, a little more than normal. I can't find a transmission fluid dip stick, I checked in the user manual and there was no mention of a transmission dipstick or transmission fluid fill port. My thinking originally was it is a CVT transmission, it doesn't use hydraulic fluid to operate. But now with people reporting leaks, I'm second guessing my original conclusion. Anyone have the facts?
Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t believe any of this generation of CR-Vs have a transmission dipstick.

Here’s a video of someone changing their transmission fluid, in which he shows where everything is that has to do with the transmission:

https://youtu.be/jYx5bXiBD3c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The CVT uses Honda HCF2 transmission fluid. There are 3 items of interest on the CVT related to the fluid. A drain plug. An overflow plug. A plastic filling cap.

There is no specific way to check the level. The only thing you could do is open the overflow plug, add a little fluid (a few oz) and see if it comes out of the overflow plug. You would know it's topped off that way.

But that's a lot of work and not worth it if you don't have a major leak.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I believe the "leaks" are assembly lube from when the motor/tranny were originally mated together at the factory. I noticed the drips on our CRV when doing the 1st oil change......cleaned the drips off and they have not returned after a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts