Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 2018 EX-L has 28,700 on it. One owner. Service and bought locally. Attaching service record and would like your learned opinion on what I should ask to checked/done before I buy. IF I BUY.

Most recent service is at the top. Thanks in advance. If I am in the wrong place for this on the forum, I apologize.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
You're lucky to have all these service records available for a used car ... and to me all looks great. It still has an unexpired comprehensive warranty available which should really help with any used car concerns. If you're happy with the price and look of the vehicle you should go for it IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're lucky to have all these service records available for a used car ... and to me all looks great. It still has an unexpired comprehensive warranty available which should really help with any used car concerns. If you're happy with the price and look of the vehicle you should go for it IMO.
I have been wanting a gen 5 CR-V. The difference in cost to me between the above 2018 EX-L and a 2020 EX I have been looking at is $2,400 otd. With trade in. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It does seem like the 2018 was maintained. Wonder if the recalibration of sensors was done with the windshield replacement? If somebody sells a 2 year old car you need to consider why? Maybe he was unhappy with it? If you are comparing with a new or low mileage 2020 I would definitely grab the 2020 even if no leather, but that is just me, I buy new and keep for a long time. Several improvements with the 2020, likely no worry about oil dilution, heater in winter etc and 2 model years newer!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does seem like the 2018 was maintained. Wonder if the recalibration of sensors was done with the windshield replacement? If somebody sells a 2 year old car you need to consider why? Maybe he was unhappy with it? If you are comparing with a new or low mileage 2020 I would definitely grab the 2020 even if no leather, but that is just me, I buy new and keep for a long time. Several improvements with the 2020, likely no worry about oil dilution, heater in winter etc and 2 model years newer!
Off the top of my head,
Advantages 2018 EXL-
Power Tailgate (I'm one of those senior citizens); Leather seats (easy to maintain); save $2,400 (important on my budget); Decent remaining warranty; Somebody else took the big hit on depreciation.

Advantages 2020 EX-
All the new warranties (important to me) has to be number 1; 4th model year in Gen 5 (improvements/changes over 2018?)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Looks like a normal, and complete, record of dealer performed maintenance and service.

Clearly it was maintained.. if anything.. maybe over maintained (see wheel alignment, which some dealers love to push).

So.. final question.. is it Honda pre-owned certified, and sold by a dealer? If so.. go for it. If I recall correctly, pre-owned Honda certified qualify for HondaCare pre-owned extended warranty as well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Mine also has MM codes, spare parts and tech's notes visible there but other than that looks good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a normal, and complete, record of dealer performed maintenance and service.

Clearly it was maintained.. if anything.. maybe over maintained (see wheel alignment, which some dealers love to push).

So.. final question.. is it Honda pre-owned certified, and sold by a dealer? If so.. go for it. If I recall correctly, pre-owned Honda certified qualify for HondaCare pre-owned extended warranty as well.
I have never seen a certified vehicle at this dealership. They just don't go that route. Maybe the added cost? Don't know.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
No questions about the previous maintenance in my mind.

I'm thinking the $2,400 difference in the OTD price isn't enough to get me to move forward with the used CR-V especially since it isn't certified. A little over 2 years ago I was in a similar position with the exception that the two year old CR-V was the final year of the 4th generation compared to the recently released 5th generation (2016 compared to 2018). The delta of over $5,000 was enough to convince me that I should buy the certified 2016 as opposed to the new 2018. If the difference would have been $2,400 I might have made a different decision.

With that being said some of this depends upon personal factors such as finances and how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. I would have needed to liquidate some investment funds (not retirement) to keep the monthly payment in the range I wanted and to cover the difference in taxes. But the biggest factor for me is that I typically keep my vehicles for several years and now don't put a lot of miles on them so the benefit of letting someone else take the hit on depreciation allowing me to save the $5K worked for me. After my two plus years of ownership I would make the same decision again.

Your circumstances and results may be different. Good Luck with your decision as I don't think either would be one you would regret!

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Ask about the windshield replacement - why was it replaced, and why was the camera not calibrated? (Now, if it doesn't have a forward-looking camera, that's your answer.) In order for the forward collision warning (and a few other things, I believe) to work properly, the camera must be calibrated.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Ask about the windshield replacement - why was it replaced, and why was the camera not calibrated? (Now, if it doesn't have a forward-looking camera, that's your answer.) In order for the forward collision warning (and a few other things, I believe) to work properly, the camera must be calibrated.
It was Honda doing the replacement, so it is almost certain it was OEM glass. Honda tends to balk at aftermarket glass, saying it could interfere with proper camera operation, but that has NOT been my experience.

In my experience, if the windshield is installed properly, no recalibration of the camera is required. [Modern glass windshields, and the mount brackets on them for electronic sensors are very well controlled largely computerized production parts these days in the small number of large glass makers that serve the auto industry]. But you do need to perform a good road test to check all the HondSensing is working correctly after the glass is replaced.

The only thing that would mis-align the camera on a glass replacement is the windshield being misaligned during installation, which is pretty hard to do actually, because it wants to fit and align by design. The replacement glass, OEM or after market, has a precision placed mounting bracket on the glass designed to hold the camera module exactly where it should be and how it should be.. so it is essentially bullet proof. Same for the mirror, and even the rain sensor if you have a Touring trim.

When I had my glass replaced some time back (road hazard impact induced crack), I opted for aftermarket glass, as it is much less expensive and it actually is run on the same production lines as the OEM glass and is sourced by the same few glass producers that provide Honda their OEM glass. The installer made me sign a liability wavier noting that the camera "may" need recalibration... but also said that for Honda's it was easy to verify in a road test first, rather then assume mandatory recalibration would be required. A road test of all the HondaSensing systems after the install did in fact confirm there was no need to recalibrate in my case. If the road test had failed, I had already secured agreement from my insurance company to pay for recalibration if required.

In other words, recalibration is more of a liability protection for the service provider than an actual technical requirement in Honda in most cases. The camera mounted behind the glass is not a twitchy or sensitive assembly in Hondas... it is pretty bullet proof as long as it is not damaged or defective. But for anyone with a concern or worry, recalibration would put that to rest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my only thing is the front windshield OEM. You don’t want to get into an accident and have that front cheap windshield explode all on you. Something I never thought about. When I was looking for a use car this was a tip I read and made sense. Should have Honda logo on it. If so go for it.
(Just scrolled up. Looks like you know this)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
my only thing is the front windshield OEM. You don’t want to get into an accident and have that front cheap windshield explode all on you. Something I never thought about. When I was looking for a use car this was a tip I read and made sense. Should have Honda logo on it. If so go for it.
Honda does not make their own glass; in my ride's case, it's a Pilkington windshield, who is also a major player for aftermarket glass. And certainly any windshield is unlikely to explode unnecessarily; the feds would come down like a sack of bricks on a company that didn't make windshields up to spec.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
You are living in the past with this comment. Like more than a decade in the past.

The same companies that make the OEM glass for Honda also make the aftermarket glass to serve that market. They also use the same exact production lines and materials. Further.. every piece of glass that goes into a motor vehicle in the US must meet DOT specifications and requirements.

We no longer have an aftermarket glass industry of small no name providers. They have all been bought up by the handful of big glass makers, or driven out of business by the big glass makers.

The biggest issue with windshield replacement these days is proper installation and proper use of adhesives when placing the glass into it's proper position. Which is why you want to go with one of the handful of big glass replacement companies, as that will insure the best chance of proper installation and compliance with laws.

On my 2017 Touring, the original glass from factory assembly was Pilkington for the front windshield and FuYao for all the other glass pieces. After my windshield was cracked due to a road hazard hitting it, it was replaced with a FuYao aftermarket windshield, and now my CRV is exclusively FuYao glass on all windows. The FuYao windshield that replaced my original is actually a bit better quality in terms of any distortions or other optical effects compared to the original Pilkington unit the vehicle shipped with. As for tint, transparency, etc..... both the OEM and the aftermarket were labeled exactly the same. The only thing missing on the new FuYao windshield is the Honda logo, and an extra $700 for the Honda logo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments here. Appreciated. I went ahead and bought the 2018 listed in this thread. Has a window chip (ironic given the above discussion) but the dealer has told me to get it fixed locally and send in the bill. Covid does strange things. That molten lava is a nice color and the outside of this car is really in fine shape. The usual tiny stone chips on the front edge of the hood. I hope to get a plastic deflector installed when they get them in stock. Also mud guards, which they do not have either. Covid again? Every Honda I have owned, and this is number 3, has had the danged tire pressure warning light come on when I drove it home. This one, too. Usually turns out to be the reset or a missing pound in one of the tires. I will deal with that tomorrow. Drove 6 hrs today to get the car and back. Too old to enjoy it. (ignore errors. long day)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts