Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 EX-L with a little over 50K miles. Have noticed problem 6-10 times that it will make a sound immediately after shutting it off that sounds like something winding down. After reading some of the conversations on the forum I thought it might be the turbo but none of the comments fit what I'm hearing. I do also hear the turbo sound when slowing down but this is actually when the car is just shut off. Just trying to see if I need to be worried. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I wonder if it is the automatic parking brake engaging.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like the parking brake. By default the 2020 models do not engage the parking brake automatically but you can set it up that way. I only occasionally engage the parking brake, mainly so things don’t seize up. Unsure about 2019 models, but I would bet you can turn this off too, check the manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2018 EX-L with a little over 50K miles. Have noticed problem 6-10 times that it will make a sound immediately after shutting it off that sounds like something winding down. After reading some of the conversations on the forum I thought it might be the turbo but none of the comments fit what I'm hearing. I do also hear the turbo sound when slowing down but this is actually when the car is just shut off. Just trying to see if I need to be worried. Thanks!!
Sounds like the parking brake. By default the 2020 models do not engage the parking brake automatically but you can set it up that way. I only occasionally engage the parking brake, mainly so things don’t seize up. Unsure about 2019 models, but I would bet you can turn this off too, check the manual.
Yes, it sounds like the automatic parking brake. If it is, the parking brake indicator should be coming one without you pulling the switch.

In my 2017 EX-L:
Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature
With the ignition switch is in ON (w*1, carry out the following steps to either activate
or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
  1. Shift the select lever to (P).
  2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
    • Check that the parking brake indicator has come on.
  3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound, release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
  4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the switch.
    • Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
    • One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
    • When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will remain applied after you turn off the engine.
    • To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the parking brake indicator is on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts