Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was told by my local dealership that my honda crv 1.5T purchased in 2019 need to be serviced (oil change) every 5k due to this being a direct injection turbo engine. How true is this?馃

Registered
The they would love to have you get an oil change more frequently than recommended, more money in their pocket, less in yours.

There can be legitimate reasons for more frequent oil changes due to OD though.

Registered
Hi,

I was told by my local dealership that my honda crv 1.5T purchased in 2019 need to be serviced (oil change) every 5k due to this being a direct injection turbo engine. How true is this?馃
That would be a dealer that is in violation of Honda recommendation to owners. If they press it, I would report them to Honda Corporate.

IF you are not in the "every 3 months or 3000 miles" camp, and if you are not having any incidence in oil rise due to some fuel dilution (weekly check and monitoring of your oil via dipstick) .... then just follow the MM for when to change your oil.

The MM is very smart in how and what it measures and calculates to determine when it is time for an oil change in your CRV.

Registered
With my driving style, have yet to reach 4K miles before the MM displays.

Not-a-Mechanic
Hi,

That's simply not true. It took me a while, but I've learned to trust the maintenance minder system.

Registered
With my driving style, have yet to reach 4K miles before the MM displays.
Same here. But I know a few CRV owners that generally go about 7K before the MM pops for an oil change. My wife generally goes 6-7K on her 2018 Accord before the MM pops.

The intelligence in the current generation MM is an asset for low mileage drivers like you and me. :)

Registered
^^^^^^You got that right.(y)

Registered
Hi,

Yes as many have mentioned, the MM is your friend. Two things though, never let oil/filter go more than a year and brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage.

Registered
Same here. But I know a few CRV owners that generally go about 7K before the MM pops for an oil change. My wife generally goes 6-7K on her 2018 Accord before the MM pops.
Mine just popped at 8200 miles but I don't know if it was due to miles or exactly one year.

Registered
I go every 5000 because I rotate the tires exactly every 5k, so it just saves me time to do both jobs at once.
This is what I do. Plus most mechanics recommend changing synthetics every 5 months/5000 miles along with a tire rotation. Yes, good synthetics can go WAY above that, but some companies also provide high mileage engine guarantees by sticking with their recommendations ;) Plus, you can reset the tire rotation/oil change MM both at once.

Registered
This is what I do. Plus most mechanics recommend changing synthetics every 5 months/5000 miles along with a tire rotation. Yes, good synthetics can go WAY above that, but some companies also provide high mileage engine guarantees by sticking with their recommendations ;) Plus, you can reset the tire rotation/oil change MM both at once.
I鈥檓 a mechanic and I agree with your statements!

Registered
Can the MM tell what brand of oil is being used (good or not so good synthetic) along with the viscosity?

Registered
Can the MM tell what brand of oil is being used (good or not so good synthetic) along with the viscosity?
No. It is not a sensor, it is a computer algorithm that takes input from a lot of sensors and bases it's decision on those.

Registered
You are correct.......I was being facetious toward a couple of previous posts.

Registered
This is what I do. Plus most mechanics recommend changing synthetics every 5 months/5000 miles along with a tire rotation.
Yet to meet this most mechanic. Just to tell them to stop wasting environment and everybody's money.

Registered
My past 2009 CRV always went about 10,000 miles between MM oil change reminders. She was a great vehicle with very few problems and we traded it in with 123,000 miles on the clock.

Our current 2014 CRV routinely goes 9,000 miles between MM oil change reminders. I don't have an explanation for the 1,000 mile difference since driving habits are the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.