Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's early, but I'm wondering if any new owners of 2019 CR-Vs have noticed any oil dilution and/or low heat issues yet. Perhaps Honda has re-engineered the engine at the production stage with more success than the reverse engineering they have tried with the recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 EX-L two days ago. It was explained to me that the 31 mile vehicle is not involved with the issue and was repaired. I believe it had to do with the fuel injecting spray when cold. Honda reprogrammed the injector system so as to not be a problem (work done by dealership, I think). Believe me when I say I am going to be checking the oil closely. When I got the car, I noticed the oil was ever so slightly darkened. The color tone was almost undetectable but knowing how new oil looks in my 2010 Civic, I could discern a difference. I think that maybe they repaired the issue after some time running and neglected to change the oil because it was fine. As far as the heat, it is not cold enough here to need quick heat. The engine did warm up in two short miles. At the Dealership, I noticed that the engine did not warm up at idle beyond a mark or two. The engine was a large part of why I chose it over the old 2.4 L. It has much better mid range torque and is even more efficient.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Its been mentioned before that fixes go into production vehicles before they are released to already sold vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So in if they have 2019s on the lot after the fix was announced the service department would proactively apply the fix before it is sold?

I’m looking to buy in the next few days but looking at all these oil dilution threads has me thinking twice. I’ve had several Honda’s and enjoyed them all. Love virtually everything about the 2019 CRV Touring.

I would love to hear opinions on this.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So in if they have 2019s on the lot after the fix was announced the service department would proactively apply the fix before it is sold?

I’m looking to buy in the next few days but looking at all these oil dilution threads has me thinking twice. I’ve had several Honda’s and enjoyed them all. Love virtually everything about the 2019 CRV Touring.

I would love to hear opinions on this.
My recommendation is if you can wait, wait to see if 2019 is fixed. So far, the "fix" is not working for 2018.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Good point........is the “fix” different for ‘19s vs ‘17s-‘18s?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
waiting for a flying car instead my next one

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
When I got the car, I noticed the oil was ever so slightly darkened. The color tone was almost undetectable but knowing how new oil looks in my 2010 Civic, I could discern a difference.
Fear not. This dark color has nothing to do with oil dilution.

Rather, it is a result of Honda's years-old practice of using a high-moly oil in the factory fill. Some owners prefer this type oil for the first few thousands of miles, and they buy Toyota-brand oil because it too is high-moly. :wrenchin2::uhoh3:

(This info is from the analysis of factory oil posted at BobIsTheOilGuy)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My original Honda oil fill is long gone.......Mobil 1 and QState have both turned dark rather quickly, somewhat quicker than I recall seeing in other EFI vehicles. Oil level remains steady, however.

·
Registered
434 Posts
does anyone have a 2019 crv yet?....didnt think they was on the lots yet?
My local dealer shows 4 LXs (with the 2.4 engine), 1 EX-L and 3 Touring on their website. Don't know if they are actually there or not but they do show the VIN numbers - could be that they are on transport.

Just had a thought. Why don't you buy one and let us know if the dilution / heat issue is solved... :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Its been mentioned before that fixes go into production vehicles before they are released to already sold vehicles.
Tell me,

what kind of fair and equitable logic goes into denying the fix to ALL the 2017 and 2018 vehicles for instance sold in Maryland, but yet ALL the 2019 vehicles yet to be sold will have it regardless of whether any of those vehicles will develop the problem. After all, Honda repeatedly states "“ it occurs primarily in the northern areas of the country during extreme cold weather conditions combined with short, intermittent driving.” Well , Maryland certainly doesn't fit that category does it??? I mean after all, that's why they are leaving Maryland out the fix in the first place. So whats changed??? Why is Maryland in the fix now?? Or for that matter, why Miami or Baja ,California?

Its all about fresh sales and capital vs. the abandonment of the current owners because they already have that money.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My local dealer shows 4 LXs (with the 2.4 engine), 1 EX-L and 3 Touring on their website. Don't know if they are actually there or not but they do show the VIN numbers - could be that they are on transport.

Just had a thought. Why don't you buy one and let us know if the dilution / heat issue is solved... :)
no way am I buying...oil is staying level and heating is decent and will keep what I have,,,thank you mr FIX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil dilution recall CR-V 2018

Just had the oil dilution 'fix' by the dealer. The recall is noted as a '18-114 software update with AC control unit replacement'. The service guy explained that the spark had not been properly controlled, thus gas was getting through without combustion. The replacement part number 79600-TLA-A62 is described as CPU ASSY on the invoice. According to the dealer, being in a cold climate state helped in getting the part required.

They also replaced the synthetic oil but did not reset the percentage indicator, meaning I still need to come in for oil/filter on schedule.

I'm at 5500 miles including a 3000 mile trip this summer. The dealer said there was no damage resulting from diluted oil.
It would appear driving the car before the 'fix' is not a major concern.

This was all done under warranty with no charge.

Suggest not waiting for the recall notice. Call your dealer and ask about the oil dilution problem. Some CR-V's may not need it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Tpm316-The roll out of the fix depends on parts availability. Same thing happened with the Takarta airbags.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tpm316-The roll out of the fix depends on parts availability. Same thing happened with the Takarta airbags.
I understand that Rocky, my point is if Maryland isn't even included in the original repair campaign, why is a car that's yet to be sold ( 2019 models) getting a scarce part and being shipped to a state that isn't even in the campaign when that SCARCE part could be given to someone who HAS a vehicle WITH the problem??. Its all about money, nothing else- A future sale for Honda clearly trumps someone who currently has a problem and needs that part immediately.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
I understand that Rocky, my point is if Maryland isn't even included in the original repair campaign, why is a car that's yet to be sold ( 2019 models) getting a scarce part and being shipped to a state that isn't even in the campaign when that SCARCE part could be given to someone who HAS a vehicle WITH the problem??. Its all about money, nothing else- A future sale for Honda clearly trumps someone who currently has a problem and needs that part immediately.
It's extremely likely that these parts are not being retrofitted to 2019s, but being installed at point of vehicle assembly, before the new CR-Vs leave the plant. Hence they "shortness" of supply of these parts. The parts manufacturer has to supply the Honda assembly plants as well as dealers for retrofit needs.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.