Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to disconnect the battery on my 2019 CR-V for 4+ months while away. Rather than hijack old threads, I thought it best to start a new one with my particular question. I asked the dealer what would happen or need to be reset. They didn't know so they said there would be no problem. I have read in other threads issues requiring things to be reset. If it is as simple as resetting the clock or inputting radio presets, no problem. If all of the settings that I input to the infotainment panel are stored in non-volatile memory fine, but I have no way of knowing this. I really don't want to go away with a battery minder or trickle charger hooked up for 4+ months. Any knowledge out there? Thank you, Mark

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,759 Posts
Whether it's four months or four minutes, the result should be the same.
perhaps someone whose replaced the battery themselves can help.
Which spec do you have?

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocky, not sure what you mean by "what spec do you have". Only info I can provide is vehicle is a a Touring AWD.

Regarding "four months or four minutes, the result should be the same", not sure about Honda electronics, but there is a lot of electronic equipment out there that uses capacitors to maintain a charge for a short time so that repairs can be done (hastily) without losing settings. Not sure if Honda does this or not. Guess I'll find out. Thank you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I plan to disconnect the battery on my 2019 CR-V for 4+ months while away. Rather than hijack old threads, I thought it best to start a new one with my particular question. I asked the dealer what would happen or need to be reset. They didn't know so they said there would be no problem. I have read in other threads issues requiring things to be reset. If it is as simple as resetting the clock or inputting radio presets, no problem. If all of the settings that I input to the infotainment panel are stored in non-volatile memory fine, but I have no way of knowing this. I really don't want to go away with a battery minder or trickle charger hooked up for 4+ months. Any knowledge out there? Thank you, Mark
You shouldn't worry about leaving a battery tender hooked up for 4 months. I have two classic cars and leave the battery tenders hooked up all year long. I have done this for years with no problems. Much better for your car and battery. I have a friend who manages an Interstate battery outlet. He is the one that sold me the battery tender for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I think all you lose is the radio settings. The engine/trans may run a little wild until they re-learn your driving habits.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,166 Posts
Radio and car settings settings should be ok. What will happen is when you restart the vehicle you will get all kinds of alarms, like the end of the world is near. This is normal and occurs anytime you disconnect the battery. Various systems have to rerun diagnostics and checks, until these have completed you will see these alarms. The alarms will clear after you have driven the vehicle for a mile or two.
But as others have mentioned, a battery tender/ smart charger is better for the battery than letting it set while it self discharges.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit the bullet and ordered a BatteryMinder. Reviews of Battery Tender lately have been bad, and that's why I was shying away from a tender device. Hate to go away for 4+ months with anything connected , but here goes. Thanks for all of your comments, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bit the bullet and ordered a BatteryMinder. Reviews of Battery Tender lately have been bad, and that's why I was shying away from a tender device. Hate to go away for 4+ months with anything connected , but here goes. Thanks for all of your comments, greatly appreciated.
Been using a Battery Tender on the motorcycles for years in the winter with no issues.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have also used a tender for years, have 2 Tenders. Motorcycle has it plugged in for several months in the winter and would plug the CRV in when planning an absence of over a month. Much better than disconnecting a battery as it keeps the battery nicely topped up and no worry about needing to reprogram the cars settings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Make sure the BatteryMinder restarts automatically after a power outage. It probably does, but still worth a quick check.

More storage suggestions:
-- oil & filter change
-- clean inside & out
-- inflate tires to max
-- car dust cover
-- Scented dryer sheets and/or moth balls: Supposed to discourage vermin... under car, under hood, inside car. (Inside I use dryer sheets, not moth balls, for pleasant scent.)
-- Lift wiper blades away from windshields. Or simply put clean paper between blades and windshields. The goal is prevent the blades from sticking.

When you return after 4+ months, on the driver's seat have a checklist of
Things To Do Before Starting The Car:
-- disconnect battery tender
-- remove underhood dryer sheets and/or moth balls
-- decrease tire pressure
-- inspect under car for fluid leaks
-- inspect for evidence of vermin... food, droppings, nesting stuff, etc.

Not sure why mice like to chew car wiring. And sometimes they hibernate & die in the HVAC system...

Yes, that's a dead mouse & nest in the cabin air filter (C6 Corvette, not mine): https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...bin-filter-with-you-pic-3.html#post1575265566

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boomer, points well taken. Usually the mice prefer my boat! I've got moth balls all over the garage to keep muice from getting to the boat, but I guess I'll get some more and stick them under the hood. (Years ago I had red squirrels get into the air intake on a seldom used Ford Explorer. Wife started the car and all the remnants of air cleaner got sucked into the sensors. We keep the red squirrels under control).

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Not sure why mice like to chew car wiring. And sometimes they hibernate & die in the HVAC system...
ANY cozy place can become a rodent nest. And cozy is in the eyes of the rodent. :)

In the ongoing effort to be more environmentally friendly and "green"... many vehicle manufacturers have switched to wiring with insulation that is derived from soy, rather then PVC. This results in better "green" characteristics of the vehicle both in manufacture and in eventual salvage/scrap. And soy is a renewable material whereas PVC is petrolium derived (40% of PVC compounds are from petrolium and 60% are chlorine derived). Also PVC is toxic when burned.

Even processed for wiring.. some of the attractive food scents to rodents from an edible like soy... manage to remain.. and attract rodent nibbling.

Most manufacturers have extensive "green programs" in place now for their vehicle design, manufacture, and recycling. And not just where emissions and fuel economy are concerned. Here is Hondas: https://www.honda.com/environment/honda-green-path

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a lot of vehicles that sit for extended periods and the newer they are the more problems. This is what you need, it cycles the battery slowly between 80% and 100% and back down...similar to what happens in the car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used a battery tender for several months every winter for the several years I had my motor scooter. I use a solar powered battery tender on my lawn mower year round and have had absolutely no problems with either. Here in the grasslands of Arizona, I only need to mow my two acres a few times every year with my riding mower, so it sits idle most all the time. I have a solar powered minder on it as the shed it is stored in has no electricity.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my BatteryMinders on test with a spare battery and also my 2018 Silverado. Only a week until I head to warmer climates with the truck.. Interesting thing I found on my Silverado, the charging systems now days cyle up and down (as we all know), and seems that my truck was probably at the low point when I shut it off 20 days ago. Well, went to put the Minder on and found my Silverado battery was at 12.0 VDC: 0% !. Now I know to pay attention to the battery level when parking a vehicle for more than a week. Cheers. (Oh, Minders are working fine).

·
Registered
545 Posts
ANY cozy place can become a rodent nest. And cozy is in the eyes of the rodent. :)

In the ongoing effort to be more environmentally friendly and "green"... many vehicle manufacturers have switched to wiring with insulation that is derived from soy, rather then PVC. This results in better "green" characteristics of the vehicle both in manufacture and in eventual salvage/scrap. And soy is a renewable material whereas PVC is petrolium derived (40% of PVC compounds are from petrolium and 60% are chlorine derived). Also PVC is toxic when burned.

Even processed for wiring.. some of the attractive food scents to rodents from an edible like soy... manage to remain.. and attract rodent nibbling.

Most manufacturers have extensive "green programs" in place now for their vehicle design, manufacture, and recycling. And not just where emissions and fuel economy are concerned. Here is Hondas: https://www.honda.com/environment/honda-green-path
I know someone who had a squirrel eat the wiring on their vehicle. It was so bad that after two attempts to fix it the insurance company totaled it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would run the gas down before you store it and put in about a quarter tank of premium "real" non-ethanol gas if possible because it sits for longer periods of time without fuel system issues than ethanol gas.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My lawn mower manufacturer recommends adding fuel stabilizer to the gas tank the last time you run the engine before putting it away for the winter.

This brand also works in vehicles:

• Keeps fuel fresh for long term storage – up to 24 months
  • Eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage
  • Ensures quick easy starts after storage by preventing gum and varnish build up*
  • Effective in all gasoline, including Ethanol and Non-Ethanol
  • For all gasoline engines, including 2-Cycle. Use in your vehicles, motorcycles, small engines, generators, boats

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, Sta-Bil.

In winter for my lawnmower and Corvette (long-gone). In late Spring for my snowblower.

To facilitate thorough mixing, I add some gasoline after the Sta-Bil. Then a short drive to further diffuse & circulate the stabilized gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,958 Posts
So here is a story for you. Skipping the B.S.. It's a Month Later, car needed a Boost on a new battery. Witha trickle solar panel. not enough to Peak the drain. Car gas is not stabilized, or enine smoked. As long as the car gets started, ran, am good.

For all the Haywire bells and whisltes ringing out at you? like in the video. as long as you Get hero started, warmed up and safely rolling, the Rest is History. Just showing what happened when the battery depleted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts