Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have just purchased a 2019 CR-V with manual gearbox and it has an electric handbrake.

All other vehicles I've had (non-Honda) with the electric handbrake are set so that when the engine is switched off the handbrake (parking brake) automatically engages. The CR-V doesn't do this.

I have looked online and can find instructions how to get it to do this but only with the AUTOMATIC gearbox.

Does anyone here know if I can set it to automatically engage on a manual gearbox ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Per page 524 of your owner's manual:

Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature

With the ignition switch is in ON (w*1, carry out the following steps to either activate
or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
1. Shift the select lever to (P.
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
u Check that the parking brake and brake system indicator has come on.
3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound,
release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the
switch.
u Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
u One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
u When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will
remain applied after you turn off the engine.
u To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the parking brake and
brake system indicator is on.
If you need to temporarily deactivate the feature for when putting your vehicle
through a conveyor type car wash or when having your vehicle towed. You can
follow the procedure explained below.
1. Depress the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0*1 and then within 2 seconds push down the
parking brake switch.
u Activation and deactivation settings for the feature will not be affected.
u Before temporarily deactivating the feature, make sure to first turn off both
ACC with LSF and the automatic brake hold system.
*1: Models with the smart entry system have an ENGINE START/STOP button instead of an ignition switch.

Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Per page 524 of your owner's manual:

Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature

With the ignition switch is in ON (w*1, carry out the following steps to either activate
or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
1. Shift the select lever to (P.
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
u Check that the parking brake and brake system indicator has come on.
3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound,
release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the
switch.
u Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
u One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
u When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will
remain applied after you turn off the engine.
If you need to temporarily deactivate the feature for when putting your vehicle
through a conveyor type car wash or when having your vehicle towed. You can
follow the procedure explained below.
1. Depress the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0*1 and then within 2 seconds push down the
parking brake switch.
u Activation and deactivation settings for the feature will not be affected.
u Before temporarily deactivating the feature, make sure to first turn off both
ACC with LSF and the automatic brake hold system.
*1: Models with the smart entry system have an ENGINE START/STOP button instead of an ignition switch.

Cheers!
I wonder if that will work with the manual transmission since there's no P. But when I drove a manual I always pulled the handbrake before even shutting down the engine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
BigMo - looks like those are for an automatic (okay, CVT) transmission, which is the only transmission option we get in the US. But the OP, wonkyd, has a manual transmission CR-V. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oooooops sorry all, I wasn't paying attention.

You can't set this option on an M/T.

The VSA modulator for the M/T is different from the A/T plus there is no transmission gear position coming over the FCAN bus from the PCM/TCM so you couldn't even trick the VSA modulator if it did have the capability.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys .... looks like i’ll have to remember to apply the parking brake myself. i just chnged from a Peugeot 3008 (not sure if you guys in the US have that model) and that has the automatic parking brake when the ignition is turned off hence why i asked.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi Everyone
I have just purchased a 2019 CR-V with manual gearbox and it has an electric handbrake.

All other vehicles I've had (non-Honda) with the electric handbrake are set so that when the engine is switched off the handbrake (parking brake) automatically engages. The CR-V doesn't do this.

I have looked online and can find instructions how to get it to do this but only with the AUTOMATIC gearbox.

Does anyone here know if I can set it to automatically engage on a manual gearbox ?

Many thanks
You are most likely not in the USA, as Honda does not sell the CR-V here with the manual transmission (gearbox) for the 5th Gen.

I suggest that you read your owner's manual that either came with your car, or may be available as a download...OR check with your dealer. Most respondents here are in the USA.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys .... looks like i’ll have to remember to apply the parking brake myself. i just chnged from a Peugeot 3008 (not sure if you guys in the US have that model) and that has the automatic parking brake when the ignition is turned off hence why i asked.
So... in practical terms.. the vehicle has to have a way to tell if the vehicle is moving and in gear or not, and it appears that is missing on the manual transmission version, for whatever reason.

Why? Lets say you accidentally, or intentionally switch off (or it turns off due to a failure) while the vehicle is moving and in gear... and the parking brake deploys.

Surprising to me, given Honda's attention to detail on engineering of features in their vehicles that they did not account for this on the manual transmission version. Then again.. we don't even have that as an option here in the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
williamsji
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing