Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all. During the 35th month of ownership, I took my '19 CR-V in for an oil change and asked my trusted mechanic to give it a once over and let me know if he saw any issues before the warranty expired. He saw a rear main seal issue so I took it to my dealership for repair. The agreed. After the work was done and I drove away, two miles down the road all of the dashboard lights started flashing and engine died. I pulled over and the dealership sent a tow truck to pick me up. Their diagnosis was a leaking coolant hose, nicked when the engine work was being done on the RMS. Would this cause the dashboard to light up like a Christmas tree and all the idiot lights flash? Also, is there the potential for other short/long term issues with my electrical system, engine, parking brake, etc.? Lots of stuff was happening during those couple minutes.

They are now replacing the hose.

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
364 Posts
Not usually a lot of lights, and usually a heavy coolant loss, you wont know it until its too late, unless their was a head temperature sensor or something along those lines to indicate a malfunction. Honda may very well have something like that and that is what happened, but, coolant temp sensors only detect coolant temp, so without coolant, its air temp and that's not good.

Long term damage, probably not, but if hot coolant sprayed everywhere, its not good.

You said just a nick in the hose, so Im not sure how much was lost or what diagnosis you had, its sounds like something else was loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke with the shop that does my oil changes, different than dealer. Mom and son operation, very trustworthy. They think someone forgot to add the coolant after completing the rear main seal work. No or minimal test drive too. Said the car's value is at its highest now and consider moving on. Trade with the dealer that did the work since they are going to say it is on great shape and get highest value. Something to ponder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up the car, drove 12 highway miles to get home and back/forth to work (35 mph) a couple times and all is well so far. They stuck with the nick in overflow coolant hose which I think is BS. Believe they forgot to refill coolant after rear main seal repair. But I will never know the truth. Said they checked everything out, ran diagnostics, etc. My warranty expires on Oct 22 and they extended it to Jan 31.

Question, do you drain all of the coolant to repair a rear main seal leak? If so, that supports my theory. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
364 Posts
If they just dropped the transmission, possibly not.

I have never done it on this vehicle, but it may have lost some trans fluid, slightly. Drive the car and keep us updated.

- I see last post says overflow hose, which means this is not a lot of fluid at all. Lower or upper is substantial.-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts