Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing new speaker components in all 4 doors. (Kicker 46CSS654 6-1/2" Component System with adapter set.) Thanks for your thoughts on these questions:
  1. Is there a crossover in the door when the car comes from the factory?
  2. Would you recommend that I install a crossover or use the CR-V's native unit?
  3. If I use a new crossover, what pair of wires do I use--the woofer, tweeter or upstream? (and where would I find the upstream wires?)

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
481 Posts
Let me state from the beginning that I do not own stock in, work for, nor have any relatives who do the same for Crutchfield. Have used their products for over 20 years on 4 different vehicles with excellent results & fantastic customer service. As always, use your own judgement as to your purchases.

If you pull off the door panel & the remove the OEM speakers, I think you'll not see any separate crossovers.

Kicker 46CSS654 CS Series 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield shows separate crossover. Crossover has 3 leads clearly labeled: input, mid, tweeter. Connect OEM lead from radio to input, then connect tweeter & mid outputs to correct speaker. Tie OEM tweeter wire to OEM tweeter lead. then tie Kicker tweeter lead to same OEM lead to keep it neat. Should have no problem using electrical ties to attach crossover to inner door frame. Use more ties to create neat, uncluttered look.

If you are replacing speakers, I have 2 other suggestions:

1.] add some sound deadening material of your choice to the inner door frame and to the inner door surface. After you remove the inner panel, carefully remove the plastic weather seal. Keep the sticky stuff separate from other parts of this film so that you can reapply the weather seal when finished. Carefully wipe down the inner door surface and apply your sound deadening material. I found using trim removal tools helped create a tight bond between the metal and the sound deadening material. How much further to go into sound deadening your vehicle is up to you.

2.] a small amp, somewhere along these lines kicker amps at Crutchfield. will greatly add to your audio enjoyment.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm installing new speaker components in all 4 doors. (Kicker 46CSS654 6-1/2" Component System with adapter set.) Thanks for your thoughts on these questions:
  1. Is there a crossover in the door when the car comes from the factory?
  2. Would you recommend that I install a crossover or use the CR-V's native unit?
  3. If I use a new crossover, what pair of wires do I use--the woofer, tweeter or upstream? (and where would I find the upstream wires?)
Use the door woofer cables and put them into your kicker crossover, those are full spectrum and your kicker crossover knows exactly which frequencies to send to your tweeter and woofer. Abandon the Tweeter cables completely. This will give you the most correct install.

There is no factory crossover in the doors. The factory tweeters themselves likely have a capacitor in there somewhere to drop out the low frequencies.

I chose to keep the head unit. I added a software equalizer to the head unit which gave me all the control I needed to really fix the mid-range, which for some reason is tuned to be gone in the factory setup. my goal wasn't sound level it was sound quality.

I'm not sure if you have the factory sub or not, but replacing the sub also makes a big difference.

See my signature for some of that work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! I did exactly as you said: connected the woofer wires to the crossover and ran the crossover wires to the tweeter and the mid. I have an EX-L and hoped to not need a sub, but alas. I'm now shopping for a sub that I can put at the back of the cargo area without taking up cargo space. Wow, there's not much room there! I don't like the sound and sonic inefficiency of a spare tire sub so I'm trying to use the little niche at the back of the cargo area. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks so much! I did exactly as you said: connected the woofer wires to the crossover and ran the crossover wires to the tweeter and the mid. I have an EX-L and hoped to not need a sub, but alas. I'm now shopping for a sub that I can put at the back of the cargo area without taking up cargo space. Wow, there's not much room there! I don't like the sound and sonic inefficiency of a spare tire sub so I'm trying to use the little niche at the back of the cargo area. Any recommendations?
Great to hear. I don't know any elegant solutions... I have the touring and just re used the OEM enclosure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,025 Posts

jbl basshub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts