Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Has anyone swapped out their stock halogen low beams with leds on their 2019 CR-V EX? I want to get some bit I'm concerned about the clearances on the passenger side with the neck of the washer fluid tank. I was told by cougar motor that there needs to be at least 45mm to accommodate the fan and heat sink. Auxito looks to be about the same size. If you guys have replaced them what brand did you use? Did you have any issues with the install on the passenger side? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put some in my 2019 ex. And I didn't think I had a issue.
Then I got in a accident and the body shop replaced the lights and fixed a bunch of stuff and now the heatsink does push on the windshield fluid tank. Not a big deal

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
On a general basis, there are no aftermarket LED solutions that produce the correct pattern. They'll produce a sharp cutoff, because that's what projector housings do, no matter the light source, but the light will not be distributed correctly within the cutoff. A housing designed for a very narrow filament in a specific location will simply not focus properly when the light originates from a different spot. There are ways to properly measure the range and light dispersion, and somebody taking a picture of their car lighting up a wall aren't it. More details here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

(It was originally written for HID conversions, but also applies to LEDs; the guy that wrote the article is pretty much the guru in the US that even automakers call when they have a question about lighting. He knows what he's talking about.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put some in my 2019 ex. And I didn't think I had a issue.
Then I got in a accident and the body shop replaced the lights and fixed a bunch of stuff and now the heatsink does push on the windshield fluid tank. Not a big deal
So the heat from the heat sink isn't hot enough to melt the plastic? That was my concern.

What brand did you buy?

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Interesting, yes. Halogen propaganda ??? leds are cheaper...
???

Halogen bulbs (and housings) are quite a bit less expensive than their LED counterparts. (Headlight LED assemblies are a quite a bit more pricey than the kind in bulbs meant for your house.) You certainly aren't getting an automotive LED (factory or otherwise) for the $4 or $5 perfectly-acceptable halogen bulbs go for.

The article is not arguing that Halogen bulbs are superior form of lighting to LEDs or HIDs (they aren't), just that if you have a headlight designed to take a Halogen bulb, you cannot substitute another source of light, because of how the light is collected and focused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was planning on putting LEDs in my 18 CRV EX, then someone told me to think hard on that while living in Montana during the winter. He needs the non-LEDs to help melt the snow accumulating on the headlamps, to maintain visibility. I'll pass for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was planning on putting LEDs in my 18 CRV EX, then someone told me to think hard on that while living in Montana during the winter. He needs the non-LEDs to help melt the snow accumulating on the headlamps, to maintain visibility. I'll pass for now.
If you are looking for the best halogen headlight bulb IMHO take a look at the PIAA Extreme White Plus. I use them and am quite satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the Sylvania LEDs and they work perfectly for the fog lights. You can replace the fog lights with LEDs but not the halogen headlights in the US. You can in Canada, but not in the US if the car came with halogen headlight.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
60 Posts
Someone help me understand the projection bulb issue with LED. I was reading on the HIKARI page about some issue with LED and projection bulbs.

I have a 2012 and am honestly impressed with whatever bulbs are on there (I bought it used), but I drive a night a lot so I wouldn't mind some upgrades to see better. Almost hit a deer on Saturday, that would have sucked.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The housing and lens are depending on the light originating from a particular place, length, and direction, (specifically, the filament in an SAE-standard bulb.) If the light originates from a different place (an array of LED's necessarily being a different size and shape vs. a linear filament), the distribution of the light will be all off. Because of the way projector housings work, the light cut-off will remain the same, but within the cut-off things are far different. (e.g. the light may be biased towards close-up vision, instead of the more-useful light farther down the road, you may dazzle oncoming drivers, etc.)

The best thing you can do is make sure the auto high-beams stay enabled, assuming your vehicle is equipped with that feature. High-beams do way more for your vision than any sort of magic bulb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.