Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've owned our 2019 CR-V about ten months. It has about 7500 miles on it. Twice now, I've been driving at 45 to 50 mph, with no vehicles in front of me, when the brakes suddenly engaged. The first time there were no cars behind me. The second time there was a car, which was maybe six or seven car lengths behind me. Luckily, the events caused no injury or damage. What concerns me is if this happens when someone is closer to my CR-V, and results in a rear end collision. Or if some loon with an itchy trigger finger thinks I brake-checked him.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, I have experienced it at highway speeds. No vehicle in front, in my lane, there was a truck in the lane to my right.
Dropped me from ~75mph down to ~45mph in a relatively short distance. Good weather. No explanation.

The only good side is, it didn't "slam" on the brakes or come close to using ABS. Also, when the system does this, it does turn on the brake lights for cars behind you. But, if you have a tailgater, it could easily create an accident.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good point, that's ultimately what I had to do. There was quite a delay in that reaction though because I was on the highway with very little traffic, cruise control on, and I don't rest my foot on the gas pedal while the cruise is on...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of curiosity ....

Does your automobile have the lane departure feature ?
And, if it does, is it enabled ?

My CR-V applies the bakes if it thinks it is leaving a driving lane.

I like being informed by way of the lane departure message that appears on the dash, but I so dislike, the car applying the brakes for me.
I find that kind of intrusive.

It's kinda like those Boeing 737's that move the nose of the aircraft up or down automatically without the pilot being involved.

I've turned that feature off because of the automatic braking.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Interesting, I likely did have the LKAS engaged in my instance. I thought it just did the wheel shake & dash message when leaving the lane (without using the turn signal first), never imagined it might apply the brakes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Out of curiosity ....

I like being informed by way of the lane departure message that appears on the dash, but I so dislike, the car applying the brakes for me.

It's kinda like those Boeing 737's that move the nose of the aircraft up or down automatically without the pilot being involved.

What you're referring to is Road Departure Mitigation (RDM).
"If your vehicle is getting too close to detected lane markings without a turn signal activated, the system, in addition to a visual alert, applies steering torque and alerts you with rapid vibrations on the steering wheel, to help you remain within the detected lane.
If the system determines that its steering input is insufficient to keep your vehicle on the roadway, it may apply braking. Braking is applied only when the lane markings are solid continuous lines."

So if you drift from one dashed lane to another, braking will not be applied, but if you drift across a solid line along the road edge, braking may happen.

You can turn RDM completely off via the button on the lower left dash (has green light when active).

If you want RDM to provide a visual alert only, you can set that via the touch screen under Settings/ Vehicle/ Driver Assist System Setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks once again Marty1.

I change my settings to "Warn only".
Then, tested it on the same road that early today, I experienced automatic braking on.

This time however, I only received the "Lane departure" message, and no steering wheel shaking or braking.

Wonderful.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Out of curiosity ....

The way Lane Departure Warning works on the gen5 CRV HondaSensing is that it will first warn you.. and if the vehicle continues to deviate from the lane, the vehicle can and will brake and ultimately pull the vehicle over and to a stop as long as it can detect demarcation lines on the road, if you set it to allow it to do so. This is a protection against a driver who has fallen asleep, or lost consciousness. Of course you can turn it off, but as long as you stay in your lane.. it should never attempt to brake.

That said.. the system does have a few quirks.. in that it can mis-identify lines on the road at time and thus react to them when actually not needed. It can also sometimes be confused on a tight corner on the road, depending on how the road is marked, and if it is marked. This is all controlled by the camera feed from the top center of your windshield. Mis-identification most often happens in my experience with some funky border lines on the right hand shoulder of the roadway.. but it can also react to lines running across the roadway as well (like.. say.. for example.. thick line demarkations alerting that there is a rail road crossing ahead).

LKAS on the other hand is an added feature the driver must enable that works in conjunction with Adaptive Cruise Control. I personally never turn it on as I feel it meanders within the right and left lines of a lane on the road.. and there are enough issues with wandering vehicles where I live (people texting, talking on phone.. talking with passengers, etc).. that I just don't want to be anywhere near the lane lines. I do wish there was a driver option to set the sensitivity level of LKAS to keep it more centered in the lane.. and most likely we will see that in next gen HondaSensing.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
789 Posts
This may or may not be related.

While I was exiting off the freeway today, and ascending a rather steep incline, the "BRAKE!" image momentarily appeared. I think the radar was either reading the ground due to the curve of the incline or possibly the white painted turn lane arrows as I approached them on the pavement. There was no traffic ahead of me. I was the only vehicle on the off ramp.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
This may or may not be related.

While I was exiting off the freeway today, and ascending a rather steep incline, the "BRAKE!" image momentarily appeared. I think the radar was either reading the ground due to the curve of the incline or possibly the white painted turn lane arrows as I approached them on the pavement. There was no traffic ahead of me. I was the only vehicle on the off ramp.
The owners manual actually lists the possible false triggers for the system.. and what you describe falls within the list.

There is a reason why Honda specifically states that these systems are safety enhancement features.. NOT self-driving features.. and that drivers must always maintain control of the vehicle and awareness of the road. :)

Of course some owners that have a false positive immediately claim safety hazard because the vehicle behind them might have had to brake to avoid hitting them in the rear end. Problem with that theory is the CRV is incapable of braking any harder than the driver can... so this is a false narrative in my view. Thing is.. ALL drivers must be aware of the road and vehicles around them at all times.. and drive and if needed brake accordingly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can override the auto braking by touching the gas pedal - you foot should always be ready to brake or accelerate.
The Cruise Control and CBMS are not infallible systems. You, the driver, have to be in control at all times.
You can override ACC braking by lightly pressing the gas pedal, but you have to deeply depress the pedal to override CMBS braking.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
.... you have to deeply depress the pedal to override CMBS braking.
Which makes complete sense.. since the assumption is.. there is an imminent collision.. and if a light touch could override CMBS and there is a real imminent collision... catastrophe results. Considering how litigious minded most vehicle owners are over even minor stuff wrong with a vehicle... I'm sure you can imagine the huge law suits that would result when a CRV allowed a light tap on the brakes to allow a collision. ;)

There is a fundamentally incorrect assumption by some owners about these safety systems --> that they allow the owner to take their attention off of driving.

They are assist systems designed to "assist" owners with avoiding driving safety issues.... but like everything else concerned with driving... the burden remains with the driver to be aware and responsive to anything that happens on the road or with their vehicle.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Just released by Consumer Reports, Their Annual Report on Vehicle Safety Systems:

Drivers of all ages reported in a Consumer Reports survey that they were satisfied with the automatic emergency braking feature on their car and also separately that the safety feature helped them avoid a crash.
In the over 65 age group, 84 percent said they were satisfied with AEB, and 50 percent in the segment reported that the feature helped them avoid a crash. But in the under 35 age group, only 66 percent reported satisfaction, even though 71 percent credited the feature with helping them avoid a crash.
“The results of our survey show that advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) benefit drivers of all ages,” says Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing for Consumer Reports. “But it’s ironic that even though younger people aren’t as satisfied, they're the ones benefiting the most.”

The data suggest that ADAS, though sometimes annoying because of false alerts, are keeping drivers and passengers safer. The data also suggest this is particularly true for younger drivers, including the particularly at-risk group of teen drivers.
Members of Consumer reports can access the formal report online here: https://data.consumerreports.org/au...onsumer-perceptions-of-adas-november-2019.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts