Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few dealers in the Midwest that have 2019 CR-Vs with VINs that start with "J" indicating they were manufactured in Japan. Outside of those manufactured in Canada, I was unaware that any new CR-Vs were imported for sale in the US.

Does anyone know why there are a few 2019s for sale imported from Japan?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi!

I just picked up a 2019 AWD EXL and my engine, transmission and final assembly is in JAPAN. I was pleasantly surprised because i thought all CRVs sold in north america was made in north america. I feel pretty good about my purchase since the japanese typically have better quality standards and controls. I got mine in the bay area, california.

unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is so funny because I was going to create an account to see if anyone knew why US has japanese manufactured CRV's for sale here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Odd, can't make edits to your post on this forum?

I think demand is high here which is why we are seeing japanese assembled ones...I believe i read somewhere that 40k+ units were sold in DEC 2018 in north america.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Given the choice, I'd take one made in Japan over the other factories.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,786 Posts
You can edit but there is a limited amount of time in which to edit.
I suspect J vin CRVS are mostly found on the west coast

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My dealer says they still cannot get enough of them from the factory so I think this is very plausible that Japan is making more vehicles to boost availability. We also have less than stellar reviews coming out about the Rav4 so maybe a lot of undecided buyers are now jumping on the CRV band wagon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My dealer says they still cannot get enough of them from the factory so I think this is very plausible that Japan is making more vehicles to boost availability. We also have less than stellar reviews coming out about the Rav4 so maybe a lot of undecided buyers are now jumping on the CRV band wagon.
The new RAV4 was one big disappointment!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This is a surprising move. I wonder what Honda's CR-V inventory is? Is OH, IN, and ON not enough or does Japan just have too much capacity, and this is a way to keep the line running?

Interesting it still has 45% NA Parts Content. The interior maybe?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The new RAV4 was one big disappointment!
Yeah I am hearing that from a lot of sources. It's also interesting that none of the big YouTube review sites have done a good head to head match up yet. I would have thought by now that Kelly Blue Book would have done one.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This is interesting. If I was in the market, I would definitely choose one of these over the NA model. Maybe these are the '19's with the "fix" they were referring to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The UK spec CR-V's are all manufactured in Japan. Vin starting with a J. The manual transmission car is 173hp, the CVT 193hp and higher torque, however the 0-60 is slightly faster on the manual transmission. The Civic is made in Swindon, the engine is rated at 182hp.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The UK spec CR-V's are all manufactured in Japan. Vin starting with a J. The manual transmission car is 173hp, the CVT 193hp and higher torque, however the 0-60 is slightly faster on the manual transmission. The Civic is made in Swindon, the engine is rated at 182hp.
Surprised the cvt wasn’t quicker.
Most likely would be in real world with a non-professional driver.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Exact same price? Should be some different tax tarrif #’s
Cost and price need not be connected. As an end-buyer, you never see how much tax was or wasn't paid, any more than you know the import duties for an iPhone. That's between the importer and exporter; you aren't a party to that transaction.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts