Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, just registered.

I ordered a 2019 LX and I'm going to pick it up next week. I plan on having the head unit replaced by a professional car stereo installer. I know on the EX, the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors (when shifting into drive for locking or into park for unlocking) is an option controlled by the EX touch screen head unit. Is that feature controlled by the factory head unit in the LX? Also, are there any climate controls in the LX head unit like there are in the EX? I didn't fuss with the LX head unit for very long when buying the car because I knew I was going to replace it and my attention was focused on other things, like sale price and avoiding the 1.5L turbo engine. As soon as I saw the 2020 LX is going to have the same engine as the higher trims, that made the decision to buy the 2019 LX so much easier.

I do not want any automatic locking and unlocking of the doors. The car doesn't get to decide when to do that. Only I do.

If there are any vehicle controls unrelated to the audio system in the LX head unit, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket head unit that will integrate these features so as to not lose any vehicle functionality? I'm looking for something with a SiriusXM tuner that can make full use of the steering wheel controls, headliner bluetooth microphone for voice calls, and can read music off a USB flash drive connected inside the USB port in the center console. Particularly, I'd really like a unit that allows me to access individual music files off that USB using a folder tree system, not the embedded audio information in the individual files. I have about 30GB of music organized in over 500 folders, and I don't want to have to scroll through 300+ album titles to find the one I want when driving 70 mph.

Apple car play would be nice, as would the ability to watch DVDs while driving, but I don't really care about those too much. Unless I can get a head unit that does Apple car play over bluetooth, I'd probably never even use it, since I'm planning to keep that USB drive in the one center console port all the time, and there won't be anywhere to connect the Apple lightning cable. I'll probably just use waze on my phone screen. Unless a second USB port could be added somewhere, but now I'm just rambling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also I want to be able to stream audio from my phone over bluetooth, and the USB portion has to be able to read wma files as well as mp3.

I checked out the online PDF version of the 2019 CR-V owner's manual, and it seems the automatic door locking and unlocking can be turned off by simply using the door lock buttons. I don't think there's any setting in the LX factory head unit that controls any operation unrelated to the audio system. At least it seems unlikely to me at this point. This is good news for me. I think I just have to find a good head unit that does everything I want it to do.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
1) Automatic door locking/unlocking is NOT a feature on the LX. You would already know this if you took the time to check with your dealer, or open an owners manual (the pdf of it is online and readily available) and actually read it. You also could have simply looked up the LX trim level on the honda site and it would tell you what features are active in an LX, vs higher trim levels.

2) You are asking forum members a lot of questions about what you can and cannot do via the head unit of an LX.... yet you could not be bothered to actually test different features and limits before deciding to buy an LX rather than a different trim level. The LX has the most basic head unit, with the fewest features, settings, and options of all the trim levels. And none of us here are able to give you any constructive advice with respect to an aftermarket head unit and what you can and cannot do with it in an LX.

3) Just based on your questions, which I am not going to bother to answer beyond what I have already answered, you bought the wrong trim level for you needs, and are now going to spend a lot of money putting in various after market changes to your LX, probably with mixed success. (yeah.. I know.. you were scared of the 1.5T... but with more then 4 million on the road now days across various Honda models.. I think your fear is unfounded).

My opinion here is that you are going to end up disappointed with the limitations of an after market head unit in terms of how it interacts with the vehicle on anything other then playing music on your new LX. Personally, I would not have gone that route, but hey.. your CRV, your choice. :)

In closing.. take a look over in this thread. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2019-honda-cr-v-lx-aftermarket-head-unit-install-jvc.198597/

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) Automatic door locking/unlocking is NOT a feature on the LX. You would already know this if you took the time to check with your dealer, or open an owners manual (the pdf of it is online and readily available) and actually read it. You also could have simply looked up the LX trim level on the honda site and it would tell you what features are active in an LX, vs higher trim levels.

2) You are asking forum members a lot of questions about what you can and cannot do via the head unit of an LX.... yet you could not be bothered to actually test different features and limits before deciding to buy an LX rather than a different trim level. The LX has the most basic head unit, with the fewest features, settings, and options of all the trim levels. And none of us here are able to give you any constructive advice with respect to an aftermarket head unit and what you can and cannot do with it in an LX.

3) Just based on your questions, which I am not going to bother to answer beyond what I have already answered, you bought the wrong trim level for you needs, and are now going to spend a lot of money putting in various after market changes to your LX, probably with mixed success. (yeah.. I know.. you were scared of the 1.5T... but with more then 4 million on the road now days across various Honda models.. I think your fear is unfounded).

My opinion here is that you are going to end up disappointed with the limitations of an after market head unit in terms of how it interacts with the vehicle on anything other then playing music on your new LX. Personally, I would not have gone that route, but hey.. your CRV, your choice. :)

In closing.. take a look over in this thread. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2019-honda-cr-v-lx-aftermarket-head-unit-install-jvc.198597/
Wow, haters gonna hate.

1) Automatic door locking/unlocking is very much a feature on the LX. Take a look at this thread dealing with a "Personalized settings worksheet."

In the link provided by forum user visiter555, we can see the actual 2019 CR-V worksheet, which clearly indicates auto door lock and auto door unlock are features on "All Models." One of the options for this setting is only available on the EX trim and above, but if we're simply talking about "ON" or "OFF," the LX absolutely has this feature. There's a big difference between researching what features are available on what trims and actually knowing exactly how those features are operated by the driver once situated in the cabin.

2) I wasn't concerned with knowing all the specific features of the LX stock head unit precisely because I don't plan on keeping it. Crutchfield specifically states the head unit on the 2019 EX and above should not be replaced because it performs too many functions relating to the vehicle that have nothing to do with the audio system. A lot of vehicle functionality would likely be lost.

The LX head unit, on the other hand, can definitely be replaced. Crutchfield sells various installation kits and has a list of about 500 different aftermarket head units that would integrate into a 2019 LX rather easily and without losing any non-audio vehicle functions. So don't try to tell me I didn't do any research. If I want a head unit with wireless Apple Car Play, I can have that installed on my LX. Can you find a way to get that feature on your EX or above? :sneaky:

I'm not asking anyone what the LX head unit is capable of doing, because I don't really care. Rather, I'm asking what features, if any, performed by the LX head unit would have to be replaced by an aftermarket head unit capable of performing those same functions. Just because YOU might not be capable of offering advice with respect to an aftermarket head unit, that doesn't mean others are also incapable. You might have 1400 posts, but you do not speak on behalf of the entire forum.

3) If you have no positive contribution to this thread, why did you bother replying? You think I "bought the wrong trim level for [my] needs," and you insinuate that I made a rash impulse purchase without doing proper research, but that's not the case at all. In fact, I did extensive research on the EX factory head unit, and I don't like it. I didn't want to be stuck with it, so the LX, which is a much simpler and much more customizable vehicle, clearly meets my needs better than a higher trim.

I don't want to focus too much on the oil dilution issue because that's not what this thread is really about and there are plenty of other discussions covering the topic, but know that I'm not "afraid" of the turbo engine. I just have no faith and no confidence that it will be trouble free beyond 100,000 miles, and I plan on keeping this vehicle well beyond that. A Honda at 200k is just getting started in my view. I'm also well aware that some have reported oil dilution with the 2.4L engine, but these instances are few and far between compared to the problems with the 1.5L engine. If it's such an insignificant problem with the turbo, why has China halted all sales of this engine throughout its entire country until Honda fixes the problem? It seems China has better government enforced consumer protection than the United States. Or maybe the Chinese government simply doesn't want crappy cars clogging their roads. Either way, oil dilution is clearly a big problem in the 1.5L engine. How would I know any of this if I hadn't done proper research before buying my LX? Direct injection, which has been paired in the CR-V with the 2.4L engine since 2015, is what causes the problem in the first place, and turbocharging makes it worse. A LOT worse.

The takeaway that you don't seem to want to recognize is that I wanted a real car, and a relatively simple one at that, at least as simple as a new car can get in 2019. If you enjoy owning a giant complicated computer with wheels, that's your prerogative. I don't judge you for it, and but clearly you have some kind of problem with my choices. See this thread discussing why someone would actually prefer an LX VERY STRONGLY over the higher trims, and it has nothing to do with sticker price for me, although that's undeniably a legitimate reason too. Your post indicates that you think I'm either crazy and/or asking unreasonable questions, wasting the time of other forum members. If you prefer your seven-inch touchscreen embedded in your 11-inch bezel, have at it. Enjoy it. Learn to use all the features in it, even the ones you don't care about or never knew existed. Personally, I know it's not for me. I wanted less computer, more car.

The combination of all factors I've just explained is why I opted for the LX. I avoided a sun roof that will likely begin to leak after 8-10 years and I also avoided a bunch of useless noise generating safety features I don't need and absolutely abhor, not to mention push button start, of which I am definitely not a fan. I also don't like fake wood trim. The 12-way power seat and intelligent entry system would have been nice, but I can easily live without both. The 2013 Rogue I'm trading in has the intelligent entry system and keyless ignition, but not a push button start. It's a more traditional ignition with OFF/ACC/ON/START positions that operates without the physical key being inserted, although it can be inserted to start the engine if the fob battery dies. I loved that feature on the Nissan, but I don't know of any current vehicle that offers it now. The CR-V LX doesn't come with privacy glass from the factory, but I was concerned that the rear windows on the EX weren't quite as dark as I would have liked. With my LX, I can have the windows tinted and customized based on my specific preferences.

The EX I had signed a purchase agreement for becoming unavailable was a huge blessing in disguise, because upon further reflection, I have little doubt that I would have come to regret that purchase. It gave me time to rethink and reconsider my real needs and priorities, and I'm truly excited about getting the new LX later this week. The dealer had an identical EX with the same color combination coming in and had earmarked it for me until I went in and said I wanted the LX instead. This wasn't an impulsive decision on my part.

In closing, I already looked at that JVC head unit thread you linked. I even posted in it. But thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1) An aftermarket unit will not have access to the factory USB ports. There might be a port on the faceplate and/or a cable coming out the back that you route to wherever. I've installed two AA/CP units so far, and they both had a pair of USB ports; one for AA/CP/iPod, the other for a USB stick and/or charging. And they were attached via a cable it was up to me to route and cut access for.
2) All the car-control functions in the EX and up HU (Climate, locking, maintenance, etc.) are done via specific pulls of switches and levers in the LX; they don't use the HU at all. (Meaning you actually can switch out the LX HU; it's pretty much a non-starter with the EX and up.)
3) Watch DVD's while driving?!?!?! Don't do that. Don't even think about it. I'd just skip a disc player entirely, really. It adds quite a bit to the HU cost and complexity.
4) If you are going to go to all the trouble of putting in a new head unit, it might as well be an AA/CP unit. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but getting HU-integrated nav, and a user interface that isn't horribly awful are strong arguments for AA/CP.
5) I'm not aware of any kits that split off the factory mic into the 3.5mm headphone plug you'll need for the HU. The HU will come with it's own mic (either on a cord and/or part of the faceplate.) An AA/CP unit also has a GPS antenna. (And a Sirius/XM antenna if you get that option.)
6) They do make steering wheel control kits that will work; search on the forum for details.
7) They also make an adapter to make the factory rear camera work.
8) Order from Crutchfield unless you are an experienced DIY radio installer. Their prices are as good as Amazon, they offer a good discount on the installation bits, and have decent phone tech support.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much sirwired for all that useful information. I agree somewhat about Apple CP, but it's not a true screen mirroring system, which is what I would really want from it. I know lots of people absolutely love it and swear by it, but it seems unremarkable to me. I bought a Weathertech Cupfone with extension and I'm very accustomed to using Waze directly on my phone, which works fine. I know it could work better, but I'm simply unmoved by CP I guess. I'm not saying I won't get it, but it's not a huge priority.

I will update once I pick up the vehicle and decide what to do about upgrading the speakers and adding an external amp. I think I'll do that (and window tinting) first before replacing the HU, take some time to get a feel for everything about the car, and then take my time deciding which direction to go for the HU.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the update. I got the windows tinted and I also got the factory head unit to read the ~27GB of mp3 music files from my USB flash drive in a manner that is acceptable, although not quite as efficient as I would have hoped. Long story short, it only reads folders that actually contain music files. It shows pieces of the entire folder tree, but does not make them fully accessible.

The head unit in my 2013 Nissan read all the folders and allowed me to jump up and down the folder tree with ease, making it easy to organize by artist, album, or whatever I wanted.

For the Honda, I ended up putting all albums in their own unique individual folders in the USB drive's root folder and labeling (naming) each one with abbreviations that are easy to interpret and contain as much information as will fit on the 5-inch screen. There are 356 total albums to scroll through, which can be a little time consuming. But at least I know where everything is and I know I can get to anything I'm looking for.

Other than that, the only thing missing is satellite radio, but I have the SiriusXM app on my phone and I can stream it over bluetooth. There are more channels available that way as well. So it looks like I'll be keeping the stock head unit after all, at least for now. I love having the option to replace it in the future without any headaches if I should change my mind.

sirwired is absolutely correct, there are no functions in the LX head unit that have anything to do with any part of vehicle operation other than the audio system.

Part of why I'm keeping it is that I really like its simplicity. It has grown on me since I took delivery 12 days ago. 80% of the time, I listen to E Street Radio or some other classic rock station on SiriusXM, so dealing with having to scroll through lots of folders on the USB drive when I'm looking for something specific isn't really a big deal. I'm not going to be using it that often.

I also have those same 356 albums (and then some) in my iPhone, and I can stream the native Apple music player to the head unit over bluetooth as well. So I'm basically satisfied at this point with how I listen to music in the car, although I concede it could be more effectively integrated.

Weathertech's CupFone is a great little phone holder. It's kind of expensive for what it does, but I think it's worth the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts