Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we brought some bags of mulch home in our CR-V and noted that one bag had a hole and some mulch was scattered around the load area. About a week later we noted a bad and persistent smell. We looked everywhere in the car but found nothing so we vacuumed out the mulch and the rest of the car but the smell got worse. We took everything out of the car, including the rubber mats and found a dead mouse under the passenger seat (first picture) in the place where the screwdriver is pointing (second picture):

Below is the view when the rubber floor mats are in place, the expired mouse was not visible until we took the mats out:

Very obvious, also, are the two ducts that I assume are from the HVAC system to carry air to the back seat area. They also look like a very tempting place for exploration by a small rodent searching for food.

Since we are still getting a smell, particularly when we turn on the HVAC, the question is - how far into the ducts could a critter get? Is it possible a second mouse crawled into a duct and expired in there? Does anyone have info or diagrams of what that duct system looks like?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. David

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
941 Posts
Pop on hondaautomotive parts and you can see the duct routing for that.
Personally i would pull seat shampoo the rugs then disinfect the ducting ... and lastly pour gasoline on the car and torch it lol (jk)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate your thoughts.Had no luck finding the ducts on the Parts site. They must be part of another assembly. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Appreciate your thoughts.Had no luck finding the ducts on the Parts site. They must be part of another assembly. Thanks.
If the rodent was dead and had been sitting on your interior carpeting for a day or more.. I expect the lingering odor is just mouse juices that have soaked into the carpet.

If it was me, I would perform a full cleaning and deodorizing of the carpet before tearing down the ducting to look for a second rodent. On top of that.... let the vehicle air out well for a day or two.

Unless it was a female mouse that laid a nest in your vehicle.. I highly doubt you had more than one mouse corpse in your CRV. :) Mice are fairly solitary except when mating or caring for a litter of babies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts