Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bummer

Crawled under my car yesterday to do an oil change and found a small leak at the bottom of the drivetrain where the transmission and engine meets. Im guessing it is the rear main seal. A small area was coated with oil and there was a hanging drip ready to fall onto the skid plate. There was probably several drops on the skid plate that has spread over time and is now covered in dirt and such. I should have taken pictures....

Anyone seen this in their 1.5L CRV?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
IIRC, a couple folks have mentioned a bad transmission seal. Not a common problem, but one that exists.

Don't mess around; take it to your dealer for a warranty claim, preferably with pictures. It's certainly not something you can, or should, be touching.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried about this. It is most likely assembly grease that melts off when the vehicle gets warm. I'd wipe off the spots and see if they reappear. If the spots don't appear again, then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

This was a common misguided complaint with the 2018 Odyssey. Several people thought their vehicle had an oil leak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't get too worried about this. It is most likely assembly grease that melts off when the vehicle gets warm. I'd wipe off the spots and see if they reappear. If the spots don't appear again, then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

This was a common misguided complaint with the 2018 Odyssey. Several people thought their vehicle had an oil leak.
I wiped it down and will recheck in a thousand miles or so. Melted grease does not sound possible but hoping it is just that

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture for reference. Ignore the other picture as it does not point out where the leak is.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a bummer

Crawled under my car yesterday to do an oil change and found a small leak at the bottom of the drivetrain where the transmission and engine meets. Im guessing it is the rear main seal. A small area was coated with oil and there was a hanging drip ready to fall onto the skid plate. There was probably several drops on the skid plate that has spread over time and is now covered in dirt and such. I should have taken pictures....

My 2018 is in the shop now rear main seal replacement 9000 miles on it
1.5 turbo

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

This was my same experience.......drips there 1st oil/filter change, wiped off, drips have not reappeared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a bummer

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a bummer

Hello i just bought a brand new honda crv now its only bout nearly 4 weeks old so i decided to lift up the car took a cover off and i notice oil leak next to transmission looks like rear main seal is leaking car is only done 1000 km

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,019 Posts
Ah crud! It looks like my 2019 EX with 20K miles on it has a rear main seal leak. My local mechanic (was a Honda Service Dept mechanic until he went out on his own) showed it to me this morning when he was changing the oil and oil filter.

Attachments

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,583 Posts
Good that he caught it.

Under warranty??

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,583 Posts
One less headache to contend with I guess 👌

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ah crud! It looks like my 2019 EX with 20K miles on it has a rear main seal leak. My local mechanic (was a Honda Service Dept mechanic until he went out on his own) showed it to me this morning when he was changing the oil and oil filter.
This from the Acura RDX site and I have no idea if it also applies to CRV's but it's worth considering before going too far into the engine. The pertinent part starts at about .25 into the video.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,019 Posts
This from the Acura RDX site and I have no idea if it also applies to CRV's but it's worth considering before going too far into the engine. The pertinent part starts at about .25 into the video.

Thank you for this. The difference in my case is that my CRV is not "new". It has 20K miles on it. Furthermore, I get under the car while it is raised up for oil changes/service and I look around. What you see in the pic wasn't there any of the other times when I've had the oil changed and it gets done every 5K miles. However, it is possible that it's only the coating your video speaks of. My mechanic worked in a Honda Service Dept for years before he went out on his own so I trust him completely. Furthermore, one of my close friends is a manager at a local Honda Parts dept. He is going to speak with one of the guys in the service dept about this. It's nice to have connections...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts