Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honda recalls 118,000 U.S. SUVs for sudden air bag deployments

Reuters Reuters 2 hours 10 minutes ago

• Honda Motor Co's U.S. unit said on Wednesday it is recalling 118,000 new U.S. SUVs following reports of three injuries tied to sudden air bag deployments. The Japan-based automaker said it is recalling the 2019 Honda CR-V to replace steering wheel wire harnesses and supplemental restraint system cable reels after six unexpected driver air bag deployments that occurred without a crash. There are so far no reports of related crashes, the automaker said.
    Metal burrs on the interior surface of the steering wheel may result in damage that could lead to a short circuit and overheating of components, Honda said.
    The issue is separate from a series of recalls Honda has conducted over the last decade to replace more than 21 million defective Takata air bag inflators in about 12.9 million U.S. vehicles that Honda has said are responsible for 16 U.S. deaths.
    Honda also said it was recalling 19,000 U.S. vehicles that may have had Takata inflator replacement kits that were improperly installed before May 2018.
    (Reporting by David Shepardson, editing by G Crosse)

·
Registered
530 Posts
rd082298 said:
Easy check if any of your Honda model is impacted, no matter what model or year

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
If it ain't one thing it's another. ?
Indeed. 3 years in to the current generation and the factories are still letting defects escape into the field. Random defects can be hard to squelch completely, but this is clearly a line assembly/part defect that should have not gotten into the field (metal burrs inside the steering wheel... seems like that should never make it to the assembly line).

That said... generally Honda has been pretty on top of things like this and catch and repair early. But it is still frustrating to the new owners to see their car into a safety recall just months after taking ownership. I had that happen with my 2017 CRV.... about two months after I took delivery... boom... recall to have the fuel feed line from the gas tank replaced (a limited number of VINs had possible incorrect installation that could lead to fuel leaks). My car never showed any signs of fuel leakage.... so I bet they bracketed a production run around when they knew they had the issue, and recalled them all just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Easy check if any of your Honda model is impacted, no matter what model or year

Sage advice from hondo here. I check each of my Hondas every few months...since actual paperwork via mail can be slow on recalls sometimes. Hondas online system is great.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Reuters Reuters 2 hours 10 minutes ago

• on a dealer's lot in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S. June 1, 2016. REUTERS/Gary Cameron/File Photo
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co's U.S. unit said on Wednesday it is recalling 118,000 new U.S. SUVs following reports of three injuries tied to sudden air bag deployments. The Japan-based automaker said it is recalling the 2019 Honda CR-V to replace steering wheel wire harnesses and supplemental restraint system cable reels after six unexpected driver air bag deployments that occurred without a crash. There are so far no reports of related crashes, the automaker said.
    Metal burrs on the interior surface of the steering wheel may result in damage that could lead to a short circuit and overheating of components, Honda said.
    The issue is separate from a series of recalls Honda has conducted over the last decade to replace more than 21 million defective Takata air bag inflators in about 12.9 million U.S. vehicles that Honda has said are responsible for 16 U.S. deaths.
    Honda also said it was recalling 19,000 U.S. vehicles that may have had Takata inflator replacement kits that were improperly installed before May 2018.
    (Reporting by David Shepardson, editing by G Crosse)
I can't think of anything worse than having an airbag deploy when you're traveling down the interstate at 70mph.
It's a disaster waiting to happen. For those who have not experienced airbag deployment it's totally disorienting.
It puts you in a fog for about 20 seconds, your senses get distorted, your ears ring. It sounds like somebody put a
12 gauge shotgun next to your head and pulled the trigger - plus the propellant gas is everywhere.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I can't think of anything worse than having an airbag deploy when you're traveling down the interstate at 70mph.
It's a disaster waiting to happen. For those who have not experienced airbag deployment it's totally disorienting.
It puts you in a fog for about 20 seconds, your senses get distorted, your ears ring. It sounds like somebody put a
12 gauge shotgun next to your head and pulled the trigger - plus the propellant gas is everywhere.
Very much so. My wife had an airbag deployment on her prior car, and she experienced everything you are sharing here.. and she also got a minor flash burn on her right hand. The airbags did their job though.. she walked away from a bad accident with no injuries other then the small flash burn on her hand which healed up in about week or so.

The other bad thing is once airbags deploy in a vehicle, it is incredibly expensive to replace and recertify them ... so often the vehicle just gets totaled and written off by insurance.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
The original link has gone weird so here is another

Here's recall info on NHTSA site:
And two associated PDF's:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since the 19s are unchanged (minus a few small details like one color change and lack of volume slider), why exactly would this only affect the 19s and not the 17s and 18s?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Since the 19s are unchanged (minus a few small details like one color change and lack of volume slider), why exactly would this only affect the 19s and not the 17s and 18s?
Manufacturing defect that escaped the factories.... caused by a lot of bad steering wheels (burrs inside that can cut and short wires). In other words..... it appears to have only affected some of the 2019 run of CRVs... just like the recently TSBed battery depletion due to the fuel purge pump turning on and not turning off when the car is at rest.

Pretty much the same as other recalls that only affect selected VINs.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Just received my 2019 CRV Touring recall Notice - Canada

View attachment 134642
Appreciate seeing the letter, even though it does not apply to my CRV.

Heh.. "smoke coming from the steering wheel" would most definitely result in my CRV being immediately parked.. and a request that it be towed to my dealer.

·
Read Only
12 Posts
Today is July 10, 2019.. Has anyone gotten this repaired? How long did car have to be at the dealer? Did they give you a loaner?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Received my letter yesterday (July 11) and will call dealership on Monday to schedule. I'm in Florida and have a 2019 EX-L manufactured in March of this year. Not the first factory recall I've ever had so not too upset. Had ones on previous Kia, Jeep, and Hyundai. These things happen with complicated devices. Hopefully won't take too long to get it fixed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Received my letter yesterday (July 11) and will call dealership on Monday to schedule. I'm in Florida and have a 2019 EX-L manufactured in March of this year. Not the first factory recall I've ever had so not too upset. Had ones on previous Kia, Jeep, and Hyundai. These things happen with complicated devices. Hopefully won't take too long to get it fixed.
According to the TSB the repair takes 0.8 hours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts