Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have done searching on here, but all I am seeing if LED and HID upgrades. I want a direct bulb replacement. What are my best options? What have people done? Looking for more Lumens and brighter stock light on the Low and High Beams.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
There are several aftermarket bulbs that advertise more light output, but pretty much always at the expense of shorter life. Here's a handy list, and I think it covers the major manufacturers: Top 5 Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs, April 2020 - AutoGuide.com You should still get at least a couple hundred hours out of even the brightest bulb.

Definitely stay away from the LL (long life) bulbs; they definitely will decrease output. And also avoid 65W "upgrades"; you don't want to be the one to find out that it's too much heat for the housing, or current for the wires.

I suggest you get your bulbs from RockAuto (maybe comparing with Amazon); bulbs (and wiper blades) are a huge profit center for auto parts stores.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several aftermarket bulbs that advertise more light output, but pretty much always at the expense of shorter life. Here's a handy list, and I think it covers the major manufacturers: Top 5 Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs, April 2020 - AutoGuide.com You should still get at least a couple hundred hours out of even the brightest bulb.

Definitely stay away from the LL (long life) bulbs; they definitely will decrease output. And also avoid 65W "upgrades"; you don't want to be the one to find out that it's too much heat for the housing, or current for the wires.

I suggest you get your bulbs from RockAuto (maybe comparing with Amazon); bulbs (and wiper blades) are a huge profit center for auto parts stores.
Thanks for the reply sirwind. After reading it looks like the Phillips is the better choice. I just feel the stock headlight bulbs could have been better. I have seen the 65watt upgrades all over the internet. Their is one for my ram truck that I currently own. I have not seen any results on the rams that it melted the headlight housing, but I have not seen where anyone with a CRV has done this mod. Have you seen if people have tried to put the high beam bulb in the low beam socket? With the projector cut-off I wouldn't think it would be a problem for blinding people, and since its used for the high beams, I don't see any issues from melting the housing or over heating wires. What I do like about my new CRV is replacing bulbs is super simple. On my ram the whole headlight needs to be removed and its a major PITA.

These are what I installed in mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWF2JXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXP4KRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Way better than stock and wouldn't dream of going back to halogen unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for the reply Spectreniner, I am only seeking a halogen bulb replacement. I am read in many places that LED sometimes is worse light, even though it seems brighter and issues with the vehicles having flickering issues with aftermarket LED kits. So I am not really sold on the idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
These are what I installed in mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWF2JXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXP4KRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Way better than stock and wouldn't dream of going back to halogen unless absolutely necessary.
As I've mentioned before; aftermarket LEDs are 100% illegal (by definition, they cannot meet NHTSA specs for headlamps that have OEM halogens) and give out the wrong light in the wrong places (because of how LED chips distribute light in a fundementally different fashion from a filament), meaning they could very well blind other drivers and/or mess up your own visibility. They are (sometimes) legal for fogs, because those aren't under NHTSA headlamp rules, nor are the optical assemblies for fogs built to the same super-precise specs as headlamps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that’s what I have read too. Another reason why I am not considering them.

As I've mentioned before; aftermarket LEDs are 100% illegal (by definition, they cannot meet NHTSA specs for headlamps) and give out the wrong light in the wrong places, meaning they could very well blind other drivers and/or mess up your own visibility. They are (sometimes) legal for fogs, because those aren't under NHTSA headlamp rules, nor are the optical assemblies for fogs built to the same super-precise specs as headlamps.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Thanks for the reply Spectreniner, I am only seeking a halogen bulb replacement. I am read in many places that LED sometimes is worse light, even though it seems brighter and issues with the vehicles having flickering issues with aftermarket LED kits. So I am not really sold on the idea.
Oh, in that case, Philips Xtreme-vision. They last 150-200hrs.

·
Banned
249 Posts
As I've mentioned before; aftermarket LEDs are 100% illegal (by definition, they cannot meet NHTSA specs for headlamps that have OEM halogens) and give out the wrong light in the wrong places (because of how LED chips distribute light in a fundementally different fashion from a filament), meaning they could very well blind other drivers and/or mess up your own visibility. They are (sometimes) legal for fogs, because those aren't under NHTSA headlamp rules, nor are the optical assemblies for fogs built to the same super-precise specs as headlamps.
You have mentioned that before. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant find anywhere on here where people have done the H11 to H9 conversion. I am worried about power draw and melting of the headlight issues. My goal is I want more Lumens in a halogen bulb. Just cant seem to find what people have done. All I see is LED and HID which I do not want to do.

H9 bulbs. They won't be the cool bright white light, but they do provide better usable lighting in all situations in comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am personally using Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED headlight bulbs both for my low beams as well as my high beams.

While I generally dont recommend using LED bulbs on typical reflector style low beams due to possible uneven lighting patterns, my 2019 EX-L has projector style low beams, which work very well with LED bulbs, and produce an even light with a sharp cutoff. The output of these LED bulbs is incredibly bright, and the 5700K color temperature provides a perfect white light, thats not too blue. Overall, they have a very OEM look. I also use them for my high beams, and while the pattern isn't perfect due to it being a reflector style - its still VERY close to the OEM pattern, and greatly outperforms any halogen bulb.

These LED bulbs are high output, and as such have a built in fan to provide proper cooling. The fan does make a low audible hum, but you can only hear it if the engine isn't running. Morimoto is a VERY reputable company, and i've been using them since 2016 on my previous CR-V without any issues. I would also suggest purchasing them from theretrofitsource.com, as they are US based, and provide warranty coverage for all Morimoto products.

Ill snap some pics this evening, so you can get an idea of performance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts
You have mentioned that before. :D
:)

Well.. he happens to be correct though.. and since the discussion continues with some owners retrofitting H11 Halogens with H11 LED assemblies.. it is worth repeating.

Just because you can buy them, and they fit... does not mean they are legal, or even more effective in lighting. The key advantage to LEDs in my view is lifespan, but with some of the rather funky heatsink/fan designs to manage the heat from the LEDs.. I'm honestly not sure that they will last as long as some manufacturers claim. Heat is death to LEDs.

And for doubters..... quick search on the internet confirms.. that H11 LED ligthts are not legal in the US. Other countries.. I don't know.

Example of a good detailed write up on the matter: LED headlight bulbs legal? — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice

Of course some states actually are sticklers in vehicle inspections for things like this, and other states really don't care... so YMMV.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I cant find anywhere on here where people have done the H11 to H9 conversion. I am worried about power draw and melting of the headlight issues. My goal is I want more Lumens in a halogen bulb. Just cant seem to find what people have done. All I see is LED and HID which I do not want to do.
I have. I did it on both my old 2014 Accord and my 2018 CRV. No issues whatsoever. Bright and cheaper than any H11 halogen bulb available in the US.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the most part, H11 halogen bulbs won't get much brighter. If they do, its more yellowish. I purchased Philips or aftermarket lights that give a whiter look but they end up. I know Philips has H11 bulbs have higher lumens but have a shorter life. I personally prefer the white look.

I purchased Morimoto 2Stroke LED bulbs. Morimoto are well known in the HID/Retrofit scene. I have them installed on all my cars and no regrets and no complaints. The lights are brighter than stock, whitish to match the fog and I no longer have to worry about the bulbs being burnt out and having to replace them. Its $120 but well worth it. Any exterior lights you DO NOT want to skimp on for the safety of you, your passengers and other drivers on the road. Safety is #1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.