Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of used winter tires for my 2019 ex-l ' wondering if other auto makes (Ford , or other ) would fit as long as size needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question... if a tire's the right size and speed rating, then it'll work. There's no such thing as a "Ford" tire, "Honda" tire, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Don't use Ford tyres on your Honda...They don't work properly...The TPMS can only read genuine Honda tyres so the warning light will stay on.
LOL sheesh...It's a tire brand not a vehicle brand.
I prefer Bridgestone Blizzaks...quiet, great ride and they go through near anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
I'm a fan of Tire Rack when researching tires. They help you find the correct size based on the vehicle you drive, and the tires have ratings and comments from people who actually use the tires.

And no, I am not suggesting you buy from them, but it's a good place to do research.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
I'm not sure why would you want used tires on a brand new vehicle, but whatever.

Just keep in mind that winter tires tend to wear down quicker than normal ones, and once they wear down a little bit then they're really no better than stock tires any more.

Also, be mindful of tire date codes, especially on used tires. It is recommended that tires be discarded at 10 years old, no matter what the tread depth is. You might not get the great deal that you think you're getting if the tires were made 9 years ago.

To answer your question though, the tires that the CRV use are a relatively unique size. There are not a lot of other vehicles out there that use the same size.

You could consider changing the size slightly, but different sizes can have trade-offs such as a messed up speedometer and worse handling. For example, wider tires are generally worse in ice and snow, and a tire that's too wide or too tall can rub on stuff when you turn.

If you are considering different rims too, things get even trickier. First you need to make sure the wheel is big enough to fit over the brakes, which are fairly large on the CRV's. Then you need to consider that different wheels have different offsets, which will mess with the suspension geometry and cause handling problems and uneven tire wear.

Your best bet would be to stick with new winter tires (and wheels) that are the same size as the OEM ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Also keep in mind the Blizzaks are 55% snow tread and the remaining 45% are all season tires and become DANGEROUS in snow and ice after the 55% mark.

Michelin, Toyo and Nokian make excellent studless snow tires with 100% snow tread/rubber compound.

Let us know what you buy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Also keep in mind the Blizzaks are 55% snow tread and the remaining 45% are all season tires and become DANGEROUS in snow and ice after the 55% mark.

Michelin, Toyo and Nokian make excellent studless snow tires with 100% snow tread/rubber compound.

Let us know what you buy!
Anyone have Michlin Defender and how is ride, noise, and traction?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
I have 225/60R18 Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 on the CR-V and can recommend them, excellent in permanent snow, good grip and no mushiness on dry pavement (we get several months of freezing temp in the winter, mandatory snow tires Dec/Mar). Had Kumho something on my Gen3, they were not good at all.

Not sure if you have them in your region tho. Tirerack has a very limited selection of sizes for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
OP - probably better off using the wheels/rims that came on your ride instead of the ones from another manufacturer. Unless the local Honda Dealer or tire shop has 4 nice rims that will work for you.
 

·
Guest
Joined
·
43 Posts
I live in northern Michigan snow belt...

Michelin Defender - I do not have them on our CRV, but do have them on my F150 and my son has them on his Honda Pilot. First be aware that there is a Defender LTX M+S version, and a standard Defender...the standard version comes in smaller sizes and is more for cars.

I am referring to the LTX M&S version and love them, great all season tire. But they are expensive, and this thread was referring to snow tires...they are not snow tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I went with the Hankook I Pike RW11 snow tires for my 2018 CR-V and really liked them this past winter.

Picked up rims off an old Acura MDX in a junkyard and saved a lot of money there. From what I understand, typically slightly smaller rims and bigger tires are ideal for snow. So my snow tire rims are 17” vs. stock 18” rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I think the OP might be referring the wheel assembly as a tire? He/she may not realize the difference between a wheel/rim and a tire. Many people don't know the difference and use a generic term. It doesn't make them dumb, just not educated in the world of cars. I applaud the person for asking questions on subjucts unfamiliar. It's how we learn. That said there are a few good responses on wheels and tires in here already. Just double check with someone who knows before placing them on your vehicle. The wrong ones can cause mechanical, safety, stability, and/or mileage issues in any combination. Good luck and keep asking questions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
When I bought my ‘19 Touring I pulled the Hankooks and installed the Nokian WRG4 four season tires. I have been using the WRGs for over 10 years and in Canada where we get a lot of snow and they handle the roads & snow fine.

They beat changing the tires twice a year.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top