Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day
Have 2019 CRV and today it started making a noise while driving.
At first I thought it might have been snow rubbing on a tire or something
like that but hosed out the wheel wells and it's still there. Think it might be a wheel
bearing because it gets louder with speed, but sounds different that ones on past cars,
not as high pitched sound. The car also only has 15000 km on it. Will take it in to
the dealer but might take some time, they are busy doing tire swaps. Just want
to know if anyone else has had one go bad with such low mileage.
Thank You

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
For that low kms it could be a bad belt inside the tire. Is it only 1 tire ? Was anything done before this happened? There is also a possibility that it's a bad wheel bearing but I highly doubt it as the mileage is very low. does the noise goes away when you turn? Let me know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another person on here had a wheel bearing go out with very low miles. If it is indeed a wheel bearing sounds like they have a couple ones with defects from manufacturing. Overall Honda does not have a track record of wheel bearing problems in the same way Subaru does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out it was a nail in the tire. In the past when this happened it would make a ticking sound every time the nail would hit the
road, this time it sounded like a thud / thumping sound instead. That is why I didn't think it was a nail. The dealer said it was close
to the side wall and the sound was probably the nail hitting the rim. Will take the tire off the rim in the spring when I do the winter
tire / summer tire swap. Thankfully I purchased the tire / rim coverage when I bought the CRV so both would be replaced at no cost
to me. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
thanks for letting me know. I agree with you ticking sound. I have that happened to me this summer. Most of the time it won't be a thumping sound. Usually the tire will have the manufacturer's warrant for road hazzard but not the rim. Be sure that they actually replace the rim too. If you like you can make a mark on the rim with a Permanent marker only you would know about it. Just to be sure that they replace it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Turns out it was a nail in the tire. In the past when this happened it would make a ticking sound every time the nail would hit the
road, this time it sounded like a thud / thumping sound instead. That is why I didn't think it was a nail. The dealer said it was close
to the side wall and the sound was probably the nail hitting the rim. Will take the tire off the rim in the spring when I do the winter
tire / summer tire swap. Thankfully I purchased the tire / rim coverage when I bought the CRV so both would be replaced at no cost
to me. Thanks for the replies.
Heh... I was going to suggest you check the tire carefully for a nail or bolt in it, then I saw you had already resolved it accordingly. :)

I had the same issue 2 months after I purchased my 2017 CRV. Turned out to be a 1/4 inch machine bolt had punctured my tire and while it did not cause any real loss of air.. the mere fact that bolt was embedded in my tire tread was enough to make notable speed related road noise. I imagine that with the rather notable bolt head hitting the pavement.. it was the main contributor to the noise before the tire was replaced.

Rule of thumb is to ALWAYS suspect something wrong with the tire first.. when something like this happens. :)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Heh... I was going to suggest you check the tire carefully for a nail or bolt in it, then I saw you had already resolved it accordingly. :)

I had the same issue 2 months after I purchased my 2017 CRV. Turned out to be a 1/4 inch machine bolt had punctured my tire and while it did not cause any real loss of air.. the mere fact that bolt was embedded in my tire tread was enough to make notable speed related road noise. I imagine that with the rather notable bolt head hitting the pavement.. it was the main contributor to the noise before the tire was replaced.

Rule of thumb is to ALWAYS suspect something wrong with the tire first.. when something like this happens. :)
I totally agree with you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts