Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts
Ive searched high and low... does anyone know if and when the CRV Hybrid will come to the USA ?
Only Honda USA knows for sure, and they are typically mum on it. I am eagerly awaiting this Hybrid CR-V as well.

The RAV 4 current has a hybrid model, and the redesigned 2019 will as well, but a delayed release after the gas versions get released. There are rumors that the Ford Escape, which should be re-designed for 2020, will again have a Hybrid, after dropping it in this Gen (2013-2019) in favor of the poor selling, and discontinued C-Max Hybrid. We'll see how Honda decides to play in this market. It's unsure, as the CR-V 1.5L already beats all the competition in fuel economy, I believe.

EDIT to add: Also, gas prices play into the manufacturer's decision to sell Hybrid models in a particular region. Europe having much higher gas prices than the USA, probably figured into Honda's decision.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Accord Hybrid is a good indicator for what Honda may or may not do with other model hybrids.

Dealers are quickly selling every unit they get in because volumes are very low, not because demand is high.

How much more would you pay for a Hybrid version, knowing the battery pack warranty varies state to state (8 years in Wisconsin) and costs $3-4000 to replace?

·
5,191 Posts
The Accord Hybrid is a good indicator for what Honda may or may not do with other model hybrids.

Dealers are quickly selling every unit they get in because volumes are very low, not because demand is high.

How much more would you pay for a Hybrid version, knowing the battery pack warranty varies state to state (8 years in Wisconsin) and costs $3-4000 to replace?
I don't think hybrid battery costs should be a big concern. Taxi companies nation-wide have been using Hybrids since the Prius and Camry Hybrids, and last Gen Escape Hybrids were released, and they put lots and lots of miles on them... over many years, and no major reports of big battery expenses.

EDIT: Found this:
Q:I’ve heard that hybrid car batteries must be replaced every few years, costing thousands of dollars. Is this true? If so, why would anybody buy a hybrid?

A: Urban legend holds that buying a hybrid car will eventually subject the owner to the expensive nightmare of replacing the hybrid car battery pack, but urban legend in this case is wrong.

While there are exceptions, hybrid car batteries rarely need replacing. Hybrids now have a 12-year history in the United States, and most of the cars on the road are still on their original packs — even many of the 300,000-mile Ford Escape Hybrids used as taxis in New York and San Francisco. The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority says only two of its 182 hybrid taxis have needed new batteries.

Toyota officials report that of the 1.1 million Prii sold in the United States over the past 10 years, only about 500 batteries have been replaced (0.05 percent). The batteries were originally built to last 150,000 miles, but they have exceeded expectations, with many Prii logging more than 250,000 miles on the original battery packs.

Further, the cost of buying replacement packs has fallen, and inexpensive “remanufactured” used batteries are widely available.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I believe hybrids sold in the USA have a 8yr/100K mile warranty Federal mandate. Not buying a hybrid because of the battery is lame, in my opinion. The ‘17 RAV4 hybrid was our 2nd choice when we settled on the CRV.

·
5,191 Posts
I believe hybrids sold in the USA have a 8yr/100K mile warranty Federal mandate. Not buying a hybrid because of the battery is lame, in my opinion. The ‘17 RAV4 hybrid was our 2nd choice when we settled on the CRV.
Yes, and some states mandate a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Not buying because of the battery just got lamer....is that even a word?:Dunno:

·
Registered
351 Posts
You're mistaken and even foolish not to consider the cost of a hybrid battery replacement if you plan to keep the car beyond the battery warrenty period.

And I never said every three years, I only mentioned my States mandated warranty of 8 years. Again, warranties vary by State. Only Cali to my knowledge has a 150,000 and 10 year mandate. Shocking.

Consider motors that need a timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles but now its 3-4x more costly. Sure you can go longer than 100,000 miles, but there is limit.

Rechargeable lithium batteries live a hard life in the automotive world and 10 years is a LONG life.

And its not just the long term battery cost, you still have all the same maintenance costs of a non-hybrid.

Over 8 years, the math technically does work out in favor of the Accord Hybrids, but only if you use claimed MPG numbers. When you plug in real world averages and a battery replacement at the 8-10 year mark, it all equals out.

One last note if you still think you can go more than 8-10 years on the original battery...it significantly reduces the value of your car. It's already a thing, happening right now. Look it up! You may not care if you keep the car longer, but again, you're on borrowed time at that point. Replacement is inevitable!

·
5,191 Posts
You're mistaken and even foolish not to consider the cost of a hybrid battery replacement if you plan to keep the car beyond the battery warrenty period.

And I never said every three years, I only mentioned my States mandated warranty of 8 years. Again, warranties vary by State. Only Cali to my knowledge has a 150,000 and 10 year mandate. Shocking.
...[/B]
Without arguing the benefits or negatives of buying a Hybrid vehicle, I submit the following to clarify the battery warranty issue...direct from Honda:

http://owners.honda.com/documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL03168.pdf

● A – Minimum coverage for all vehicles in all states
● B – Vehicles registered and normally operated in Delaware, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington
● C – Vehicles registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont
(Additionally, Vehicles registered and normally operated in Oregon receive 10/150)

Hybrid System .... A .. .... B ..... .. C
Battery Module 8/100 8/100 10/150

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Doesn't take long for the name calling/criticism, does it.:Notagain:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Without arguing the benefits or negatives of buying a Hybrid vehicle, I submit the following to clarify the battery warranty issue...direct from Honda:

http://owners.honda.com/documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL03168.pdf

● A – Minimum coverage for all vehicles in all states
● B – Vehicles registered and normally operated in Delaware, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington
● C – Vehicles registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont
(Additionally, Vehicles registered and normally operated in Oregon receive 10/150)

Hybrid System .... A .. .... B ..... .. C
Battery Module 8/100 8/100 10/150

Google does not provide all the answers folks.

I will see your Honda publication that does not cover every State and raise you a direct email communication backing up my statement.

·
5,191 Posts
Google does not provide all the answers folks.

I will see your Honda publication that does not cover every State and raise you a direct email communication backing up my statement.

In your state, hybrid warranty is 8 years 100,000 miles. So we agree on that. Read what I posted again. It covers all states, "Minimum coverage for all vehicles in all states" 8/100,000, and adds that a few have longer warranties, and identifies them. Your state is not specifically mentioned, but is included in the "all states".

It is certainly acceptable for you to feel that a Hybrid purchase doesn't make sense if one plans to keep it beyond the battery warranty. Hybrids are used extensively by taxi companies, and I doubt they would have that kind of following if the long term costs were prohibitive. Everyone has choices. As an example, I wouldn't consider anything less than the Touring CRV when I decided to purchase one, but I have no issue with others not wanting to pay for features they don't want or need. I have owned several Hybrid vehicles, and have chosen not to buy others due to the higher dollar premium at purchase over the gas only version of that particular vehicle. But then the decision to buy a Hybrid vehicle is not always entirely a financial one. They typically have more acceleration than the gas only engine based similar vehicle, are quieter, and oh yeah, get much better fuel mileage.

With that said, to use an old phrase, lets just agree to disagree.

So, do you currently own an Accord Hybrid? What was the reason Honda sent you that mail regarding the battery warranty?

·
Registered
351 Posts
So, do you currently own an Accord Hybrid? What was the reason Honda sent you that mail regarding the battery warranty?
Let's just say buying another CR-V was a last minute decision. We opted save our big gas guzzling SUV just for towing our RV and my wife began demanding another AWD/4WD vehicle for the winter at the last possible moment. Guess who won.

I was shopping new Accord for the past year and held off until I could have a Hybrid for long test drive over Summer. Well, that turned into multiple long test drives of all Accord models and engines. I'm not sure I could have done all that with any other dealer. (Wilde Honda in Waukesha WI)

·
5,191 Posts
I was shopping new Accord for the past year and held off until I could have a Hybrid for long test drive over Summer. Well, that turned into multiple long test drives of all Accord models and engines. I'm not sure I could have done all that with any other dealer. (Wilde Honda in Waukesha WI)
This is a smart way to proceed prior to spending a large sum of money on any vehicle if the dealer will comply. :HighFive:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
From post #8:

You're mistaken and even foolish not to consider the cost.......

It's becoming a habit.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
383, in today’s society that doesn’t even rate. Yep, I remember the good old days when I worked from Abilene to Midland but unfortunately they are long gone.
In a way, you are correct and it's really sad. In the good old days, no one had a keyboard to hide behind. In the good old days, words were said to one another face to face, not while hiding behind a keyboard. Back in the good old days, thumbs were used to signal approval/disapproval....not to tell the world "I got up this morning and put on my socks".:Huh: Back in the good old days.....Abilene to Odessa, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.:thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
A hybrid option would've been nice for the 2018 model I just picked up. Here in NY as well as some other states (not certain if all states have this law) you're allowed to enter the HOV lane alone without additional occupants. Which would save a lot of time since our CRV is dedicated for mostly highway use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.