Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has any tips when installing a JVC head unit in my 2019 Honda CR-V LX.
I have the Axxess ASWC-1 and the Harness, the 12v to 6v converter for the camera, and the Antenna adapter.
The last head unit I attempted to install did not work with the steering wheel controls because it was a cheap China radio and did not function with the ASWC-1.
Does anyone have the wire diagram for the 2018/2019 CRV? I think I'll be able to get steering wheel controls working if I can find enough time to install the head unit. Mainly I believe I will have issues finding out how to get my stock camera to work with the JVC unit.

Want to make sure I am doing everything right because I haven't found much info online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

John

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has any tips when installing a JVC head unit in my 2019 Honda CR-V LX.
I have the Axxess ASWC-1 and the Harness, the 12v to 6v converter for the camera, and the Antenna adapter.
The last head unit I attempted to install did not work with the steering wheel controls because it was a cheap China radio and did not function with the ASWC-1.
Does anyone have the wire diagram for the 2018/2019 CRV? I think I'll be able to get steering wheel controls working if I can find enough time to install the head unit. Mainly I believe I will have issues finding out how to get my stock camera to work with the JVC unit.

Want to make sure I am doing everything right because I haven't found much info online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

John
I guess it's too late now, but my advice would have been "Buy From Crutchfield"; they do a great job on compatibility info, have good install instructions, incredibly helpful (VA-based) Tech Support, prices usually around the same as everywhere else for the head unit, discounts on the install stuff (vs. gouging you like many places) and for $30, will pre-assemble all the wiring correctly.

I installed a unit in my wife's '06 Solara, and we talked through a problem getting CAN information off the OBD connector, and when we figured out that the instructions were incorrect (mid-year change in the Toyota harness), they even sent me a photo of the electrical panel with the correct wires circled to compensate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please report on your progress. I bought an LX about a month ago and still have not decided if I am going to upgrade or stay with the stock head. I would be very interested in learning what your experiences are, especially related to the steering wheel controls and the back-up camera.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
According to Crutchfield, you can retain the factory camera, but nobody yet makes a steering wheel control kit, which is unfortunate. Axcess has said that the AWSC-1 isn't tested with the Gen5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after working on installing my head unit for a few days I finally got it installed. Its not the best looking dash kit install but I was able to get all functions working, Steering wheel controls, Backup camera, parking break bypass.
Ill post some instructions on what wires I tapped into and some photos of my install including what devices I installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please report on your progress. I bought an LX about a month ago and still have not decided if I am going to upgrade or stay with the stock head. I would be very interested in learning what your experiences are, especially related to the steering wheel controls and the back-up camera.
Well after working on installing my head unit for a few days I finally got it installed. Its not the best looking dash kit install but I was able to get all functions working, Steering wheel controls, Backup camera, parking break bypass.
Ill post some instructions on what wires I tapped into and some photos of my install including what devices I installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds good. Look forward to that. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I guess it’s good to know that the steering wheel control kit works!

I'm curious to know what you did for the p-brake... For my wife's Kenwood, I just grounded the sense wire, but for my friend's Alpine, I had to actually hook it up because of the need to pulse the signal before it would believe you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Just FYI,I read, in another install thread here, where there is a relay or some sort of device available that can be spliced into that parking brake wire that solved the issue for like $12. Can't find it now, but I just saw it in the last couple of weeks, on here.

Reactions: billyrule

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I ended up buying a different head unit since that Chinese head unit was not working properly. I ended up grabbing a Sony XAV-AX5000 (its pretty basic but it works well) comes with Android Auto/Apple car play. After installing it I had major issues getting my steering wheel controls to function I spent hours on it. Turns out the best thing to do was toss the Axxess ASWC-1 away and wire directly into the original SWC lines on the harness I purchased for the radio install. Guess I could have saved $75.00 if I would have known that earlier. Backup camera took some time as well since I needed to locate the backup lights wire near the fuse box. But after doing all that I am happy to say it works well. Also since my Metra dash kit didn't allow me to push the head unit flush against the front of the dash kit I had to really break down the frame. To make sure all gaps had been completely sealed up I ended up designing a bezel to go around my installed head unit.

I'll post some photos of the harness wires I was able to tap into if it helps so you don't have to locate them like I did (Might save you a weekend)

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in anyway... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to Crutchfield, you can retain the factory camera, but nobody yet makes a steering wheel control kit, which is unfortunate. Axcess has said that the AWSC-1 isn't tested with the Gen5.
I was able to use the ASWC-1 with the JVC I installed shortly before buying the Sony head unit I installed this week. It worked well with the JVC with not much issues getting it programmed. I ended up taking the ASWC-1 out because the Sony would not play nice with it. Best suggestion I can give is (Tap directly into your aftermarket harness SWC wires) that works so much better...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just FYI,I read, in another install thread here, where there is a relay or some sort of device available that can be spliced into that parking brake wire that solved the issue for like $12. Can't find it now, but I just saw it in the last couple of weeks, on here.
I was able to ground the head units parking break wire into my harness ground. This removed the required parking break connection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks mrnachoman! Look forward to seeing what is involved from a wiring perspective to get everything working. I greatly appreciate you taking time to share your experience!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Doesnt look too great with the trim in the center.
Any reason you didnt just source an ex &up HU and make a plug and play harness for it?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Doesnt look too great with the trim in the center.
Any reason you didnt just source an ex &up HU and make a plug and play harness for it?
I doubt it would work... The fancy HU is going to be expecting a lot of things it would not find, and would probably need to run different software to handle the different environment.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I doubt it would work... The fancy HU is going to be expecting a lot of things it would not find, and would probably need to run different software to handle the different environment.
Yea its a little involed but can definitey be done.
I wired up a oem complete navigation in my 2006 civic si when they were like a month old.
Back then the harnesses were complete, now its super easy to source the connectors from honda and repin them.

Lx radio is about 2/3 plugs
Ex 10/11 plugs
ExL/touring navi are like 11/12 plugs

Maybe i’ll pull the electrical schematics and fab up some conversion harnesses

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Adding a photo showing what wires I connected for full steering wheel controls. The wires shown are on the harness (Metra 70-1731) What I did was strip wires from a 3.5mm headphone plug.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts