Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,001 Posts
Always best to start with the basics.

1. When the engine is cold, have you checked the coolant level?

2. If the level is correct for both the radiator and the overflow tank, then get a code reader to find out if there is a coolant temp related code stored.

3. Finally, see if the connections from the coolant temperature sensors are tightly connected.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
after driving 20 minutes, and engine is at operating temperature, temperature gauge went to zero, then gauge started moving up and down. anybody having similar problem?
What is the outside temperature under these conditions? AND.. what are your driving conditions? I ask because in cold weather with stop and go traffic driving.... I would fully expect to see the gauge moving between normal set point all the way down to one, or no, tick marks displayed. Reason: very thermally efficient engine, and a very non-linear temperature gauge which is completely misleading.

Are you getting normal cabin heating, regardless of what the faux-temperature gauge shows?

And..... please see my response to your other post here: Temperature gauge question

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the outside temperature under these conditions? AND.. what are your driving conditions? I ask because in cold weather with stop and go traffic driving.... I would fully expect to see the gauge moving between normal set point all the way down to one, or no, tick marks displayed. Reason: very thermally efficient engine, and a very non-linear temperature gauge which is completely misleading.

Are you getting normal cabin heating, regardless of what the faux-temperature gauge shows?

And..... please see my response to your other post here: Temperature gauge question
Outside temperature was in lower 30's F. I don't remember if were getting normal cabin heating or not.
If you don't mind me asking.....Are you a auto mechanic, Honda or other?
I did see your previous message.....I am new to this forum, and hope this reply is comes through better.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Outside temperature was in lower 30's F. I don't remember if were getting normal cabin heating or not.
If you don't mind me asking.....Are you a auto mechanic, Honda or other?
I did see your previous message.....I am new to this forum, and hope this reply is comes through better.
Stop and go driving in low 30s weather can and WILL produce the see/saw effect you are observing and reporting.... at least until the engine is truly up at normal temperature (170+ F). Cabin heating before the engine reaches full temperature can also aggravate this for a time, because the vehicle is bleeding heat to the cabin heating system. Cabin heating, when the climate control system is set to automatic, appears to kick in before the vehicle even warms up enough to trigger the first tick mark on the gauge.

Once the engine is at normal temperature, the actual coolant temperature (if you performed a OBDII temp readout) would also see/saw too under the same driving conditions, it's just that you cannot see it on the gauge because the temperature gauge is not really a linear temperature gauge (as already explained by myself and others) and once it hit's 170 and higher.. the gauge no longer moves.

As for me, I am a retired electrical engineer with a healthy intellectual curiosity common in engineers as to why things work the way they do, and what is normal vs abnormal. :) I am certainly not an auto service person (can't really call them mechanics anymore), nor do I need to be in order to determine how the temperature gauge actually operates, and what it means when I see the tick marks on the gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.