Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6/2020 CR-V VTI LX awd black leather interior.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post :)
I have just purchased a VTILX model, with LED lighting.
I am wanting to connect into the high beam for my LightBar trigger. I am very familiar with standard H4, H3 systems, but have absolutely NO idea where to start with such an array of tiny gauge wires at all of the plugs behind the headlights. At over a grand a headlight, I don't want to mess up. I live in rural SA, and not much in the way of local help. Has anyone successfully tapped into them? Any help and or advice very welcome before I have to take it to the dealer back in Adelaide.
thanks in advance,
Lana

·
Registered
2020 CRV Touring Modern Steel Metallic - Black Interior
11 Posts
Try using pigtails. I used them to connect a LED light bar to the rear brake lights. No cutting to original wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there bclever07 thanks for the reply, I can't do anything like that here, by law the lightbar has to be triggered through high beam, ie it MUST turn off when low beam selected.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
80 Posts
I would think you could remove a plug from the back of a headlight. Use a DVM to find the wire that lights the high beams. Use a relay to turn on the LED light bar and get the trigger for the relay from the wire you find for the OEM LED high beam headlights.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,678 Posts
Yeah.. since local law requires your light bar be driven from the headlight controls and wiring.....the best practice here would be to find the wiring harness that feeds one of the headlight assemblies, and splice in from there.

Thing is.. that particular harness when you find it.. may not have proper fusing behind it to deal with both the headlights and your light bar... so you need to check and verify that, and I personally would follow diymans advice to use a power relay and a separate power routing with fusing to power the light bar and simply use the 12vdc from the high beam cable to drive a relay to connect the light bar. That seams simplest and least likely to create other issues.

DO NOT mess with the headlight assemblies at all. As you noted.. these are not serviceable, but rather field replaceable units.. and are over a grand each. So.. best not mess with them because you break one you buy one.. and that will get painful really fast.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
80 Posts
If there is a separate fuse for your high beams your could use this to trigger the relay.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Hi LanaB! I am not familiar with the CR-V models sold in South Australia. Would you be so kind as to try to share some details about your car with the forum ? Year? What features your CR-V has. In other words, in the USA, the top trim line is the Touring. I am not sure what VTILX is. Thanks!

Also, please update you information here: Please Update the Newest Version of your Avatar

This makes it easier for us to help you in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies guys, yes, I already have separate fusing and the relay in place, all I need now is the trigger wire.
diyman I understand the use of the DVM, but, if the lights are neg switched as I think they are, the DVM isn't much help, because I am then looking for an earth (-ve), and there is more than one.
JBinAZ , I will get as much info as I can for you, I am new to all this online forum stuff, and what is an avatar?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,678 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys, yes, I already have separate fusing and the relay in place, all I need now is the trigger wire.
diyman I understand the use of the DVM, but, if the lights are neg switched as I think they are, the DVM isn't much help, because I am then looking for an earth (-ve), and there is more than one.
JBinAZ , I will get as much info as I can for you, I am new to all this online forum stuff, and what is an avatar?
I believe you are correct about the lights being switched on/off on the ground side. That does seem to be a common approach by Honda.

That makes it a bit harder to track down the right wire in the wiring assemblies, but it should still work. You simply need to seek the wire that goes "open" when the headlight high beams are in the off state and is shorted to ground when the headlight high beams are turned on. It probably requires checking a number of wires each time for a change in connection.. so you need someone to work the headlight switch for you while you are checking each one.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
You did it! THANKS!!!
The Avatar is the picture at the upper left of your post (or is it the upper right in "Oz"?) LOL

Reactions: LanaB
1 - 10 of 10 Posts