Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the answers to at least some of these questions is RTFM, so I apologize in advance for not RingTFM. I did a forum search and couldn't find answers to what I'm looking for.

(1) I drove about 50 miles in my new CR-V last night, and I noticed after about the first 10-20 miles, a small bar showed up displaying my present-time MPG, with a range from 0 to 80 from left to right. I wasn't sure if I had done something with one of the two cluster knobs (the trip knob above the fuel gauge on the right, the other above the temperature gauge on the left) that caused this to happen. I'd been fussing around with them a little, but I don't remember exactly what I did. Is this something that just shows up after a while, or is it my fault? I tried to make it go away, and I couldn't. I sometimes find this feature useful and interesting, but I'd rather not have it on 100% of the time. Was it not coming on for the first 10-20 miles of driving simply because the CPU hadn't yet accumulated enough data?

(2) Above the tach, there's a bar that changes color between white and green, with green seemingly indicating less fuel consumption. Can I turn this off? If I'm correct about what it is, I think it's redundant and annoying.

(3) I found this quick video demonstrating how to reset the maintenance minder on an LX:

The guy in the video did it entirely with the trip knob on the right. I haven't yet discovered any use for the other knob on the left. What does it do exactly? I tried pressing and releasing it quickly, holding it, twisting it, and nothing.

(4) Is there any other MM screen or menu other than the one that shows up when cycling through the different screens using the trip knob? All it says right now is oil life is 100%. Is that it? That's all it does on an LX?

(5) When lifetime odometer is on the screen, trip odometer A shows up below it. Is there any possible way to get the lifetime odometer to show up on the screen simultaneously with odometer B?

(6) Under the traction control button just inside the door to the left of the steering wheel is some sort of tire pressure system button. I saw a different video in which this was described as a reset button for the tire pressure monitoring system. How does this work? Pressing and releasing did nothing. Holding it for up to 10-15 seconds did nothing. Also, someone mentioned in another thread here that there are no TPMS sensors inside the wheels. How does the CPU know the tire pressure?

(7) Why is there no AWD Lock button? Is there no way to keep the propeller moving and transmitting power to the rear wheels at low speed? Is the system really that automated?

(8) Is the weird letter that keeps showing up in my radio the compass?

Thanks in advance for your patience, understanding, and shared knowledge.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, I know the answer to all of your questions! And yes, all except 7 are in the Owners Manual!

It's a great read, and the perfect accompaniment to your CR-V. However, the document in your glove box isn't the complete Owners Manual. The easiest way to get the complete manual is to go to https://owners.honda.com/, use the drop down boxes to tell it which year and model you have, and then click the appropriate options until you get to the link to download the Owners Manual's PDF file. I just did that for a 2019 CR-V and the highest page number is 669.

You don't have a lock button because you have no control over the AWD system in your CR-V, and have no way to "lock" the differentials.
It's an automatic system that is able to recognize when your front wheels are slipping, and very quickly transfer some power to the rear wheels. During those few seconds when the system is active is the only time you get power to the rear wheels. And you should know that the rear differential uses a special Honda fluid and nothing else should be used in the rear diff except that Honda fluid. It's called Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.

·
Registered
167 Posts
(1) Press the "I" button on the left steering control, then press left and right arrows on the circular rocker control to display a whole bunch of different things.

(2) I have another trim so i dont know how to configure it on the LX - best bet is to download the manual as suggested.

(5) I don't think so

(6) No pressure monitor; all based on relative wheel rotation: a lower pressure causes a smaller diameter and faster rotation, which triggers the alert. Read the manual for the reset procedure.

(7) answered

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The printed owner's manual I was given only has 406 pages, while the online PDF version has over 500. It's frustrating trying to read both at the same time to make sure I don't miss anything.

Anyway, between reading the manual and reading the replies so far, I'm no longer confused about questions 3-8.

However, I didn't find anything in the manual about the white/green bar changing color above the tach, and information about what they call "Instant Fuel Economy" was vague, described on pages 118 and 126 of the online PDF manual.

I don't have the "I" button in the LX. The instrument panel screens are less involved than on the higher trims.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
However, I didn't find anything in the manual about the white/green bar changing color above the tach, and information about what they call "Instant Fuel Economy" was vague, described on pages 118 and 126 of the online PDF manual.
Green = optimal acceleration for fuel economy purposes
White = too much foot on the gas for fuel economy purposes
Light Green = not white, and not green... so.. obviously.... only semi-optimal acceleratiojn for fuel economy purposes.

This system has been a thing now in Hondas for years.. to help the owner better moderate their accelerator use for better fuel economy. Same with the instantaneous mpg readout.... and honestly.. this readout is a better metric for an owner to use to refine their habits and use of the accelerator pedal. Instantaneous fuel economy is exactly what it says it is... it shows you what fuel economy you should expect based on where your accelerator pedel is at that instant in time. Adjust your push on the accelerator and watch the readout change. Obviously.. your vehicle speed at that instant is also factored into the equation that generates the readout.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My 2013 Rogue had a gauge for instant fuel economy too. It just didn't force me to look at it all the time. I could cycle away from it when I didn't want to see it.

Took an afternoon drive into evening earlier and drove 56 miles round trip. The CR-V and I are settling in nicely together. Mileage is currently at 122.0 in the garage. I love that the trip odometers have never been reset and are synchronized with the vehicle odometer. I'm never going to reset trip odometer A. Hopefully whenever the battery needs replacement, I'll be able to find a way to preserve that information. I wonder if that could be manipulated with HondaHack or even some generic OBD II reader/computer.

So far my only complaints are that I can't display trip odometer B and remaining mileage range on the same screen, I can't shut off instant fuel economy, and I have the not so unusual experience of feeling hard plastic on my right knee against the dash, which can be mildly painful. I'm sure I'll learn the proper postion to avoid discomfort and it will become instinctive for me to remain in a good position without thinking about it. Overall not a lot to complain about. I'm even starting to like the radio. I may keep the head unit and just upgrade to an external amp and better speakers with a small subwoofer in the back. I'm getting my completely clear windows tinted on Tuesday morning, 50% on the driver and passenger windows, 15% on everything behind the B pillars. :)

I really wanted 5% on all the rear glass, but New York only allows 70% in the front, so technically 50% will be a violation, and the contrast between 50% in front and 5% in the back would make it look a little funky, since it's a black car. With a lighter colored car, it would be more normal looking. Compromises. :p

Also, the CR-V in eco mode feels like it has about the same power as the 170HP Rogue in normal mode. The Rogue's sport mode wasn't anything to write home about either. Turning off eco mode and shifting to S in the CR-V going up a steep hill was fun! Technically I didn't even test drive it before I bought it. The only one I drove was an EX-L. The turbo definitely has some additional power, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the 2.4.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,213 Posts
I have an EX-L 2018, so it might be different... but i set the trip A to reset after each gas fill for correct MPG calculation. I usually leave trip B alone unless need to reset for some circumstance

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine type is confusing. I have AWD. Port of entry was Buffalo, NY. Country of origin for the engine is Canada. Country of origin for the transmission is USA. Final assembly point was Alliston, Ontario.

The Honda website lists the 2019 LX engine as having displacement of 2356 cc.

However, when I go to hondapartsonline.com (or other OEM parts sellers) and I try to select my vehicle, I'm shown two possible choices:

24LX (AWD/ONT/HCM ENG)
24LX (AWD/ONT/AEP ENG)

When I go to advanceautoparts.com and I try to select my vehicle, I'm shown two possible choices, one with 2351 cc and the other with 2354 cc. On this website, there's no mention or distinction between HCM vs AEP. However, both selections mention the "VIN" is K24V9. On my window sticker, the listed engine number starts with this followed by a dash and seven digits of numbers.

Does anyone know what this is about? Which engine do I have, and what's its actual displacement?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The dash illumination is controlled by headlights, but make sure the dash lighting is not set to max bright--turn the Trip meter knob (upper right in center display) one notch off full clockwise, When you turn it all the way clockwise it beeps to indicate the dash illumination is overridden to full bright. One exception:
When it is bright outside and the headlight
integration with the wiper is activated, the
instrument panel brightness does not change.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dash illumination is controlled by headlights, but make sure the dash lighting is not set to max bright--turn the Trip meter knob (upper right in center display) one notch off full clockwise, When you turn it all the way clockwise it beeps to indicate the dash illumination is overridden to full bright. One exception:
When it is bright outside and the headlight
integration with the wiper is activated, the
instrument panel brightness does not change.
I don't think the LX has any wiper integration with the headlights, but I'll try adjusting the dash brightness to only 5/6 dots with headlights on as you said. Right now it's on 6/6. Hopefully that will allow the head unit to adjust brightness automatically between day and night. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts