Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Got a new LX with 1000 miles on it. The oil smells like gas and I have the 2.4L. I wouldn't say it's overly strong but it for sure has a gas smell.. Oil doesn't really have a distinct smell to me. I took some from my garage and it doesn't have a hint of gas. Should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
is it a turbo.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
You have been reading too much internet... which can and does have any and every wild observation imaginable shared as fact.. as well as opinion regularly presented as fact.

Besides.. the nose is a very subjective organ on the human body, and is easily confused by hydrocarbons... of which your oil, the gas in your fuel tank, and the various additives applied to the gas in your fuel tank all fit somewhere on the hydrocarbon list. Not to mention.. all of these intermix to some degree during normal operation of your vehicle and the engine has systems deliberately designed to purge any intermixing that takes place.

The only qualitiative measure of your oil and it's quality and contaminants is to have it tested by a reputable oil analysis company.

The only sensory measure a human can perform with any degree of objectivity is visual... as in... visually monitoring the oil level on your dipstick, per the manufacturer procedure in your owners manual.

Short answer.. stop worrying. :) check your oil routinely when you refuel.. and keep note of any irregularity in oil level (high or low), discuss accordingly with your dealer, as needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All,

Got a new LX with 1000 miles on it. The oil smells like gas and I have the 2.4L. I wouldn't say it's overly strong but it for sure has a gas smell.. Oil doesn't really have a distinct smell to me. I took some from my garage and it doesn't have a hint of gas. Should I be concerned?
I own a 2014 LX 2.4l since new, the oil definitely smells like gas. I believe it has to do with direct injection, and If this is something to worry about it is perhaps difficult to answer.
Opening the oil fill cap smells like gas.
I’m at 60k miles with no oil related engine issues.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I think so many people who come on here just don't understand how a DI engine works.
It also does not help that we have an OD thread that is full of the same people posting a hundred times on the same issue. Yes we do have people with real issues but we have a lot more that don't have an issue but just cannot get over the fact that they smell gas in their oil or that the oil level will rise and fall.

Once again for those concerend people watch this video and learn what to expect as normal oil dilution.

Oil Dilution Expectation

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey All,

I have to agree with Williamsji 100 %. Relax and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V Touring
29 Posts
Just because fuel dilution is common doesn't make it a non-issue and nothing to worry about.
If I had enough fuel in the oil to make the oil level rise, I'd be worried.
Oil always has a slight gas smell to it from gas vapor, and I've noticed that for decades, but there shouldn't be enough gas accumulated in the oil to make it rise, and I've never had my oil level rise.
Measurable gas in the oil will make a difference in engine life, even if it's only slight and only in the long run. There's really no way to defend that. You can't argue against physics.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It isn't a non-issue as the few but persistent Honda fan boys will spin. It's easier for us to change our behavior than expect Honda to fix the problem. Honda finally acknowledged the issue and threw some feeble fix attempts at it as well as I recall some warranty changes. It isn't your imagination.

We can always change the oil more frequently to reduce risk. Probably is wise to change oil more frequently if you plan to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time. Also, probably a good idea to identify the verbose and seemingly always present Honda fan boys and take them with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
It isn't a non-issue as the few but persistent Honda fan boys will spin. It's easier for us to change our behavior than expect Honda to fix the problem. Honda finally acknowledged the issue and threw some feeble fix attempts at it as well as I recall some warranty changes. It isn't your imagination.

We can always change the oil more frequently to reduce risk. Probably is wise to change oil more frequently if you plan to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time. Also, probably a good idea to identify the verbose and seemingly always present Honda fan boys and take them with a grain of salt.

The engine being discussed is the 2.4L in the LX. ;)

Nice try though.. you probably just forced the thread to be locked.

If you spend some time on recent posts in the OD thread, you will see that even on the 1.5T, with measurable rise in oil level... multiple successive oil analysis at 4K changes.....shows the oil to be fine in terms of viscosity, contaminants, and no signs of metals which would indicate abnormal wear. I know that these facts as presented over in that thread undermine your narrative, as well as your pejorative implications toward other forum members, but they are what they are and you can bury your head in the sand, but that won't change actual qualitative results from another forum member who chose to put aside opinion, and test for facts.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V Touring
29 Posts
The engine being discussed is the 2.4L in the LX. ;)

Nice try though.. you probably just forced the thread to be locked.

If you spend some time on recent posts in the OD thread, you will see that even on the 1.5T, with measurable rise in oil level... multiple successive oil analysis at 4K changes.....shows the oil to be fine in terms of viscosity, contaminants, and no signs of metals which would indicate abnormal wear. I know that these facts as presented over in that thread undermine your narrative, as well as your pejorative implications toward other forum members, but they are what they are and you can bury your head in the sand, but that won't change actual qualitative results from another forum member who chose to put aside opinion, and test for facts.
Why would what he said lock the thread?
I'm sure he knows what engine the OP has, but you told the OP that he's been "reading too much internet" , seemingly implying that he's been reading all the thousands of posts about the 1.5L oil dilution problem. And the discussion had shifted to fuel oil dilution in general anyway because you said:
It's not.. but it is also a fallacy that fuel only gets into the oil on turbos. In reality... ALL DI engines push some fuel into the oil.

Even if a few UOA's have been fine for some people, you can't ignore that it's also caused problems for others.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
See master thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.