Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,006 Posts
I would agree, time to close this thread when people are attacking each other with comments that have nothing to do with the thread title. It's kind of like the original oil dilution thread that went sideways.

Moderators...what are your thoughts?

After receiving a few suggestions:

Rather than close it, we are moving it to the SHOPPING & TEST DRIVING area. That is where these comparisons belong.

(And you thought the Mods subscribed to EVERYTHING? LOL)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Beats me as to why all of the Mazda talk on a Honda forum. I guess the conversation levels on the Mazda forums must be low, so there is not much going on over there....
Any car forum that is worth anything, has talk of competitive vehicles. But, this thread never belonged in the Gen 5 CR-V forum. As it clearly was upsetting too many owners. I was surprised it took so long for the mods to move it.

On the CX-5 forum speculation... You are correct. Not much going on over there. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 · (Edited)
Now that this thread has been moved and is 25 pages long, I will repost my impressions, although I'm sure the know-it-all CX-5 owners will continue to trash this thread. If that continues to happen, I'll fully understand if the moderators want to close this thread. I stand by my original post, I don't mind good conversation about pluses and minuses of each vehicle, particularly from others who have also test driven both.

Over the holidays I stopped by the Mazda dealer to check out the latest CX-5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The engine, which was in the much larger CX-9 has been added to the two top trim levels of the CX-5. This is something that was not available when we purchased our CR-V back in 2017, so I felt I owed it to myself to check it out.

First impressions:

Exterior
1) Looks significantly smaller than the CR-V on the outside. (Specs show it's only a few inches smaller in length and height).
2) Has nice styling, very elegant, vs the CR-V tries to look a bit more rugged.
3) 19" Wheels are very attractive.
4) Low profile tires help give the CX-5 a sporty look.

Interior
1) Interior feels a lot smaller than the CR-V. Passenger volume is about the same, cargo volume is about 8 cu.ft. less.
2) The Nappa leather is really nice.
3) Layout (ergonomics) not as nice as the CR-V. For example, the location of the shifter is very traditional. I like the way Honda has very efficiently laid out the center console area.

4) Why do manufacturers all want to put gloss (piano) black finishes in a car? It scratches easily and always shows dust. Looking past that, the controls seem a bit bunched together on the center console but I do like all the buttons for the climate control. If there is one complaint I have with the CR-V, is that you need to use the touch screen to select some of the climate control settings. Honda did a much better job in the 2018 Accord.

5) I prefer the digital instrumentation in the CR-V, the CX-5 just has a digital center gauge.
6) The back seats have much less leg room than the CR-V.

Test Drive
1) Suspension is stiffer, bouncier. You can really feel that shorter wheelbase and the low profile tires. I don't mind a stiffer suspension if it means better handling. However, checking the specs on C&D, the CR-V actually beats the CX-5 in all the handling and braking tests.

2) I expected the engine to feel more powerful. The CR-V has a 1.5L Turbo, churning out 190hp, mated to a CVT. The 2019 Mazda has a 2.5L Turbo, churning out 227hp (per the window sticker) mated to a 6-speed auto. The engine did feel a bit faster but not as much as I expected, not anywhere near the feeling of power I get in my 2018 Accord 2.0T. It's interesting that C&D rates the CX-5 2.5T as having 250hp, when it was clearly printed by Mazda at 227hp on the window sticker. Mazda has had issues in the past with overstating the HP numbers, maybe they backed off on the numbers to represent what you are really getting on 87 octane fuel.

3) The controls for the Active Safety features were ambiguous, I had a difficult time knowing if I had LKAS on/off, ACC on/off.

4) Mazda's idea of LKAS assist is different than Honda's. In the Mazda, the CX-5 LKAS didn't try to keep you in the lane, instead it waited until you left the lane and would steer you back into the lane. Even though that seemed more like the RDMS, the salesperson said that's the LKAS feature. I was confused but okay, if you say so.

5) On the highway I noticed more wind noise than on our CR-V, but a bit less engine noise.
6) The ventilated seats were really nice.
7) Fuel economy isn't as good, but then again the engine has 66% more displacement. Even though the salesperson said the CX-5 has cylinder deactivation, the MPG is probably about right given the larger engine.

8) Mazda includes a HU display so you can see digital info floating in front of you out in space. It's a nice thing, Honda put it in the Accord, but it's by no means a necessity for me.

Price
The C&D as tested price on the top of the line CX-5 Signature is $39,155, compared to the CR-V Touring's $34,595, that's a difference of $4,560. For that you get the larger 2.5T engine with more power, a heated steering wheel, ventilated seats with Nappa leather, and a HU display.

Summary
For me, I couldn't see spending the extra nearly $5k for the added features and what felt like only a bit more power. Yes, C&D shows the CX-5 as being more than a second faster 0-60 but I expected the vehicle to feel like it has more power given the acceleration numbers. I liked the Nappa leather but the rest of the interior didn't seem any more upscale than the Honda. I think my 2018 Accord has a more upscale interior than the CX-5 (and it cost $8k less).

The driving dynamics felt good, however, the C&D numbers doesn't show them as being better. In fact, the braking is several feet longer on the CX-5.

In the end, we really like our CR-V, it's more roomy, quieter, and performs well enough. Sure, I wouldn't mind it if Honda put the 2.0T Accord engine in it, but they needed to save that for the 2018 Acura RDX, which reminds me, I need to test drive one of those.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
On a rugged scale, I'd call the 5th Gen more rugged looking than the 4th Gen. I think Toyota tried to make the new RAV4 more rugged looking by giving it squared off wheel arches. IMO, that styling went out with the Pontiac Aztec.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm just new member here.
Just wanna let you guys that I am in process of trading my 2016 cx5 grand touring for crv exl 2019. Cx5 was pure mistake. I am glad I am getting rid of this junk.
Welcome to forum my friends.

Best Regards

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Just wanna let you guys that I am in process of trading my 2016 cx5 grand touring for crv exl 2019. Cx5 was pure mistake. I am glad I am getting rid of this junk.

Best Regards
Every manufacturer can make a bad vehicle now and then. I wish you better luck with your new CR-V, congrats!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow, congrats I guess. It was just a year ago you were rating and raving about your new crv, now your going to spreed the word how bad they are and how you where mistreated by Honda? Why don't you wait and see how your new cx5 treats you in the next year or so, your words "Mazda's reliability is questionable and was a dealbreaker for me."

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/174170-how-about-what-we-like-about-our-cr-vs.html#post1322890

Good luck with that CX5, enjoy that slow infotainment system... :Wink:
My CX-5 will be four years old in April. Zero issues. Only two minor recalls (liftgate hydraulic rail replacement and gas pipe filler pipe, they had to remove a screw). Car runs like new and still looks like it was just driven off the showroom.

We have a CR-V and a CX-5. Like both vehicles although my wife likes the Honda more and I like the Mazda more.

Down the road we will buy a new CR-V (if they ever resolve the OD problem) and I will probably buy another CX-5.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Best Regards
Please specify what was junk.

·
Registered
990 Posts
No doubt it's an oil burner niche, expensive, and probably won't have much of an increased tow spec but I bet it's fun to drive and quieter than the small displacement buzz bomb competition.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
No doubt it's an oil burner niche, expensive, and probably won't have much of an increased tow spec but I bet it's fun to drive and quieter than the small displacement buzz bomb competition.
Starting MSRP is >$41k! HP and Torque are lower than the 2.5l turbo. It makes no sense.

241 - 256 of 256 Posts