Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
2,215 Posts
I made NO rude or otherwise disparaging or insulting comment to anyone in that thread, so if you see one, you are choosing to see something that isn't there. I cannot help you with that.

·
2,215 Posts
Here you go alley oop:

I made NO rude or otherwise disparaging or insulting comment to anyone in that thread, so if you see one, you are choosing to see something that isn't there. I don't see how I could help you with that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
larryr said:
Since old man Hondo died and the bean counters took over, quality is no longer important.
I'm still kickin' the tires..... ;)

FWIW, all our various models of Hondas are connected on a rotating basis to a CTEK charging station, we added a quick connect coupler dongle so that the bonnet does not need to be opened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Three times and had better be the last. First time was at the DMV I was setting my radio channels when battery dies called Honda roadside they jump started me. All good. Made it home and it started the next day.Second time at home didn't drive for 3 days battery dead. Called Honda roadside they came and jumped me. Drove around for an hour and on freeway to recharge. 3rd time stopped at gas station relunctantly turned the engine off battery died. Called Honda roadside and instead of a jump had them tow me to the dealership. Same day they checked the battery and found it to be bad. They Installed a new battery same type and size. So far so good except I have to go out every day that I don't drive and start the car to be sure it's not dead. Is this the best they can do? Anyone else have this problem with the battery
Do you have accessories plugged in when you are not driving the car? Any accessory no matter how trivial will run down a Honda battery. You should consider a smart charger with the pulse feature to remove sulfate buildup if you anticipate more than a day of non-use. With the SARs-COV-II shelter in place order for my community, no accessories are plugged in, and the smart charger is keeping my battery like new.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In general, car batteries have been compromised in large part down to the tree-hugging brigade that dont want battery makers digging for minerals and other elements that make them in the first place.

Similarly, the EU with its Nazi-like rules made paint firms like Dulux change chemicals in their white gloss paint - so much so, that after just a few weeks, countless customers complained that their white paint was turning pissy yellow!
During the last presidential administration, the folks then at the USEPA banned all lead smelters in the USA. So now, all of our battery lead is imported, and our old wheel weights are now made of a plastic/metal composite that for some reason doesn't clip well to wheel rims. I've had to get my tires rebalanced twice in 6 months due to lost weights.

·
Administrator
3,347 Posts
Keep to the subject that the OP asked. Abusive posts can be deleted and trigger loss of posting privileges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three times and had better be the last. First time was at the DMV I was setting my radio channels when battery dies called Honda roadside they jump started me. All good. Made it home and it started the next day.Second time at home didn't drive for 3 days battery dead. Called Honda roadside they came and jumped me. Drove around for an hour and on freeway to recharge. 3rd time stopped at gas station relunctantly turned the engine off battery died. Called Honda roadside and instead of a jump had them tow me to the dealership. Same day they checked the battery and found it to be bad. They Installed a new battery same type and size. So far so good except I have to go out every day that I don't drive and start the car to be sure it's not dead. Is this the best they can do? Anyone else have this problem with the battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same happened to me with only 5k miles on the CRV. As didn't want to get stranded again i bought a booster pack , leave it plugged in the lighter ,and it has a USB charge port for cell phones act.(Honda also replaced the battery)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first thing to check would be the battery/cables connections. Make sure they are clean & shiny (use a terminal brush on both) as well as tight. Check or have checked the alternator output. If you cannot properly (fully) charge the battery then it will fail again. There may also be a module that ties in with the battery that may also be causing the problem. A parasitic drain could also cause the battery to die - have that checked also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here you go alley oop:

Tool with too much time on your hands for uselessness.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
What????

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a fairly common thing with the CR-V. The tiny Group 51R battery is the same one that came in the '96 model, but your '19 has far more electronics. I thought I saw where someone here said the new ones had a bit larger battery, but I guess not. But there is a fairly simple solution. Here it is:

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

This thread contains part numbers and instructions to change the battery, using OEM Honda parts from the Odyssey, which cost about $25, to change to a Group 24F battery, which is far larger, with better CCA and reserve power. This mod works on all year models. One other thing - new models are notorious for having mysterious battery drain issues, caused by tiny malfunctions in the systems in your new V that do not shut off when the car does, which can also cause this issue. There are a ton of threads here about that, too.

I know what you're gonna say - Really? Modify a brand new vehicle? Well, yeah, you have a point there. But, if that's all it takes to make the car reliable, I say do it and don't look back. I am doing it to mine. Many people buy new vehicles and immediately modify them. By the way, this will not void your warranty.

Lastly, don't take the rude behavior above personal. It's about them, not you. They attack me all the time. They're kind of like a pack of wildlings from Lord of the Flies. If you watch the news, you see that it is trending behavior these days anyway, right?
I did it to my 08 crv ,51r ho cart battery are junk I went through 4 honda battery all under warranty,finally I said screw these batterys went and bought a 35 group 800cca interstate battery from costco it's been 5 yrs now no trouble.honda batterys are weak and honda is aware that the 51r is a bad battery not enough but that's what the put in cause that's what it calls for ,for weight gas mileage blah blah blahh.get a bigger better battery

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe you just had a bad battery and now all is well. One of the things you shouldn't do is go out and start your car every day just to see if it starts. You will be shortening the life of your battery and if you don't let it run for 30 to 40 minutes you will slowly drain your battery dead.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts