Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about this problem on older CR-V's. 2019...same problem. And I can report it still isn't fixed and according to Am Honda, they don't have a fix. I don't even know if they are working on it. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with them. You never know if they are telling you the truth or not. Their suggestion: Next time take it to the nearest Honda dealer...an hour away in San Antonio. I already spent time with them on the phone. Their answer: Same tire, same size, same or approximate mileage. That's how it works was their answer! I now know how it works. $200 later.

Both tires on the same axel have to be the same tire brand, size, and approximate mileage. When I replaced a perfectly good RR tire with a new one to match the LR, both now within 1,000 miles of wear of each other, problem went away.

I have a road hazard warranty from Discount Tire, but one more failure where I have to buy a second tire and I'm taking them to small claims court. I'm retired...I got nothing better to do.

Ken in Kerrville

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hum....not sure. I have 3 tires (OE) with 16K miles and 1 tire with 3K miles on our '17 V....no TPMS problems here. Why do you have to buy a tire covered under road hazard?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damaged tire was covered, the tire I had to purchase to match the replacement tire was on me. I upgraded to Michelin and a new Michelin didn't work with a Hancook with 4500 miles on it. A new Michelin on the other rear worked. Your 2017 system may be different from my 2019. I was told by the dealer that tire brand, size and approx. mileage had to match on each axel. That was right and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your 2017 have a wheel based system or a hub based system, which calculates the rotation? Our 2010 had the wheel based system, which worked fine.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
2017-2020 are all Gen 5 CRVs.......TPMS is rotation speed based. I’ll take rotation over wheel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The dealership telling you tire brand/mileage is BS. Set/check tire pressure and re-calibrate using the touch screen.

I’m guessing you have ridden the Three Twisted Sisters.......I have 5 times, never gets old.👍

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,182 Posts
Mixing tires may in fact cause issues. This is addressed in your manual. Not only does the TPMS compare the rolling radius of the tires, it's also measuring the resonate frequency of tire ( lower pressure / lower freq ). Different tire makes will also have different natural resonate freqs which can confuse the TPMS.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2017-2020 are all Gen 5 CRVs.......TPMS is rotation speed based. I’ll take rotation over wheel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The dealership telling you tire brand/mileage is BS. Set/check tire pressure and re-calibrate using the touch screen.

I’m guessing you have ridden the Three Twisted Sisters.......I have 5 times, never gets old.👍
Yes ridden the Sisters many times...I retired down here to ride my motorcycle on all these great roads! I also own a C7 Corvette...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes ridden the Sisters many times...I retired down here to ride my motorcycle on all these great roads! I also own a C7 Corvette...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mixing tires may in fact cause issues. This is addressed in your manual. Not only does the TPMS compare the rolling radius of the tires, it's also measuring the resonate frequency of tire ( lower pressure / lower freq ). Different tire makes will also have different natural resonate freqs which can confuse the TPMS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of manual did you take that from? page 503? This is from the owner's manual...very vague. Discount tire didn't have a Hancook in stock, so I upgraded. I shouldn't have to buy another tire. We all drove for many years with no TPMS, it's a convenience, not a necessity, especially with false readings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Doesn't say anything about different "brand" of tire.......it says different type and size of tire. Maybe a P Metric tire vs an offload all terrain tire would be different types. Different size????.....well duh....but some people need an instruction manual when it comes to common sense. For that matter, some peeps common sense manual never get removed from the cellophane wrapper. Dealerships, there's another duh.

The TPMS has been Fed required since 2007, I believe, because some people have no common sense when it comes to tire safety/checking tire pressures and that lack of common sense caused them serious injuries and made their lawyers rich.

Discount Tire could have ordered a matching Hankook for you.....the did for me and the new tire with 13K less miles than the OE tires is not causing TPMS problems. The diameter difference between a new tire and and the same brand/model tire worn to the TWIs is maybe <1/5". I'm reasonably sure that small difference has been accounted for in the TPMS.

Discount Tire patched one my OE Hankooks. The patch slowly failed and Discount Tire said the patch repair was their fault and couldn't be re-repaired. They ordered a new identical Hankook, mounted/balanced it, all at no charge. DT are good people to do business with....very good people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of manual did you take that from? page 503? This is from the owner's manual...very vague. Discount tire didn't have a Hancook in stock, so I upgraded. I shouldn't have to buy another tire. We all drove for many years with no TPMS, it's a convenience, not a necessity, especially with false readings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to figure out who you are referring to when you say "some peeps". First, this is my wife's car, I drive a Vette. I'm seldom in it. Second, this failure occurred when we had just over 4K miles on it. I didn't want another Hancook, wanted a Michelin, they didn't have an Hancook, so I upgraded. That was +$90. The tire experts at DT didn't advise me to not change brands. I did exactly what the dealer advised, and all I can tell you is when I matched the tires on the same axel, the TPMS system works properly now. That's -30-

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
They consider type as anything other than the exact model that is already mounted on the car. Different models even within the same manufacturer will have differences in their internal construction effecting the tire's characteristics. The indirect TPMS is using rolling radius, tire frequency, steering angle and yaw rate to determine if there is a problem.
As for the pic I provided, it's from the 2017 CRV's full manual available via download from Honda.
You needed to replace an additional tire? Three weeks ago I replaced all four because of a nail in the sidewall.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
I read about this problem on older CR-V's. 2019...same problem. And I can report it still isn't fixed and according to Am Honda, they don't have a fix. I don't even know if they are working on it. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with them. You never know if they are telling you the truth or not. Their suggestion: Next time take it to the nearest Honda dealer...an hour away in San Antonio. I already spent time with them on the phone. Their answer: Same tire, same size, same or approximate mileage. That's how it works was their answer! I now know how it works. $200 later.

Both tires on the same axel have to be the same tire brand, size, and approximate mileage. When I replaced a perfectly good RR tire with a new one to match the LR, both now within 1,000 miles of wear of each other, problem went away.

I have a road hazard warranty from Discount Tire, but one more failure where I have to buy a second tire and I'm taking them to small claims court. I'm retired...I got nothing better to do.

Ken in Kerrville
If you talk to tire professionals about having mixed tires on the same axle of an AWD vehicle.. they will almost universally recommend against it... STRONGLY. DT NOT warning you about this is surprising to me and smacks of an uninformed and unqualified service person... because they know better.

So, for example: say you have to replace a ruined tire early....... you should only replace it with the exact same brand and model of tire. Otherwise, you will likely see more stress placed on the AWD on that axle and over time.. that may result in premature failure. Same goes for replacing one old tread worn tire and not replacing it's mate on the same axle. Generally, as long as you have 75% remaining tread life on the axle when dealing with a ruined tire.... simply putting on a new one of the same make and model should be fine. Less than 75% remaining tread life, it can get more and more likely to pose an issue both in AWD drive response, as well as TPMS functioning.

The above is somewhat true even for non AWD SUVs as well... so the same guidance applies.

The TPMS showing warnings when you have mixed brand or mixed treadlife tires on an AWD vehicle is actually doing it's job in part to protect the AWD system. It is telling you that all the wheels are not spinning the same, and as such.. you also have imbalanced traction and traction control.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Trying to figure out who you are referring to when you say "some peeps". First, this is my wife's car, I drive a Vette. I'm seldom in it. Second, this failure occurred when we had just over 4K miles on it. I didn't want another Hancook, wanted a Michelin, they didn't have an Hancook, so I upgraded. That was +$90. The tire experts at DT didn't advise me to not change brands. I did exactly what the dealer advised, and all I can tell you is when I matched the tires on the same axel, the TPMS system works properly now. That's -30-
You mixed a Hankook with a Michelin? Huge mistake and the cause of your problem right there.

There is nothing wrong with your TPMS.. it is actually doing it's job here to help protect the integrity of your CRV.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discount Tire could have ordered a matching Hankook for you.....the did for me and the new tire with 13K less miles than the OE tires is not causing TPMS problems. The diameter difference between a new tire and and the same brand/model tire worn to the TWIs is maybe <1/5". I'm reasonably sure that small difference has been accounted for in the TPMS.

Discount Tire patched one my OE Hankooks. The patch slowly failed and Discount Tire said the patch repair was their fault and couldn't be re-repaired. They ordered a new identical Hankook, mounted/balanced it, all at no charge. DT are good people to do business with....very good people.
Yep, I use America's Tire, which I believe is business related to Discount Tire, and you are exactly correct.. they are more than happy to order the exact tire you want or need if they don't have it in stock. At Discount Tire, you can actually pre-check inventory and pre-order any specific tire online and make an appointment for having it changed for you. I generally just go to the shop though, so I can have an informed discussion of choices, delivery, installation appointment setup etc. with an acutal service person.

In my experience, it takes them at most a day to get the tire from a local distribution center, when they do not have it in stock. It could be a bit longer for less urban locations... but still.. they are very helpful in doing so.. simply because they are in the tire business, and they simply cannot stock every single brand/model of tire in their local inventory.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
They consider type as anything other than the exact model that is already mounted on the car. Different models even within the same manufacturer will have differences in their internal construction effecting the tire's characteristics. The indirect TPMS is using rolling radius, tire frequency, steering angle and yaw rate to determine if there is a problem.
As for the pic I provided, it's from the 2017 CRV's full manual available via download from Honda.
You needed to replace an additional tire? Three weeks ago I replaced all four because of a nail in the sidewall.
^^ absolutely correct also in my experience with tire professionals.

One time I lost a pretty new Michelin Defender to a road hazard. I consulted with my tire service (Americas Tire) and they did not have the exact tire in stock.. but had other similar Michelins in stock but the service adviser explained why I needed the exact same model and size of Michelin, and that failing to do so would put stresses on my AWD system it was not designed to experience. They ordered an exact match from their local distribution center and had it delivered within half a day and called me back to set up an appointment to install the next day.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Is the AWD spare tire a different size than the FWD spare tire?

Where does it say same “model” tire as original?

Would a tire salesperson rather sell 1 tire vs 2 (or more)?

If you mount the same brand/size tire on 1 axle, but those 2 new tires are a different brand than the older tires on the other axle, does that mean you should always buy a set of 4 new tires to keep the TPMS happy?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
When Honda says "type" they mean the exact same tire. Attached is a Honda TSB addressing this issue. In this case Honda was using Continental CrossCountry LX as OEM tires. The tires were manufactured in France, Portugal and the US. However you could not mix tires made in France with tires from Portugal or US. This was due to a difference with the sidewall construction. The tires from France had a single ply sidewall and were lighter than the Portugal and US tires. The rolling characteristics between the tires were enough to set off the TPMS.

Not only does mixing tire types effect the TPMS but also the stability of the vehicle. The VSA system is expecting all tires to have similar handling characteristics.

The spare tire for AWD and FWD are the same. But when you are running the spare they tell you to stay below 50mph and repair/replace the tire ASAP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts