Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

821 - 840 of 879 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do people find the pricing thread useful? Or is it more of a source of angst?
It’s more like a benchmark. You can know what to expect and how low you can get it. Again you won’t get a better price if there are not many competitors in your area. So price depends on how well can you negotiate and how big is the competition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found this price reporting thread and website extremely useful. I think its one of the best ways to get information and find the lowest price a dealer will sell a car for before you purchase. Sure you can research invoice, drawback, discounts, rebates etc., but here you find the actual numbers on the ground.

I was able to walk into a dealership and offer them my price. I would tell the salesman that I have done my research, have been to multiple dealers and worked with multiple online sales departments and that I want the car for $XX OTD. The dealers that are hungry will bite, and those that didn't want to play will end up calling you in a few weeks, at which point tell them you got a deal they couldn't meet and lost a sale.

I was looking for a 2020 CRV EX AWD for $28,600 OTD with PA taxes. So basically a $3580 discount resulting in a $26,700 Sale Price (including destination fee). Some dealerships I walked into (and this was towards the end of December) literally told me they couldn't touch my price it and to buy somewhere else. I specifically went for the 2020 since the dealers want to move the 20's of their lots, so they are motivated to price them lower.

I ended up with $28,800 OTD
$1602 PA 6% Sales Tax
$500 Title, Registration & Docs Fees
Free inspections for life and other dealership perks, plus the customer service was excellent and low pressure.

Could I have gone lower? Its possible but after working with 12+ dealers, many visits, test drives, phone calls, and emails, $28,800 worked for me. I think I did much better than average.

Now I am suspect of some of the lowest prices on this thread but you can see a trend taking into account FWD & AWD. You kind of have to read the whole thread to calibrate but it was worth it saving a few thousand $.

What trim level are you looking for?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find it interesting but also very hard to compare oranges to oranges. Finding the same area with the same options is hard to find and pricing is quickly outdated. Then throwing in AWD vrs front wheel and a trade in muddies it further. I also have not seen anyone negotiate a much better price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I find it interesting but also very hard to compare oranges to oranges. Finding the same area with the same options is hard to find and pricing is quickly outdated. Then throwing in AWD vrs front wheel and a trade in muddies it further. I also have not seen anyone negotiate a much better price.
It's not that hard, I was able to get a good deal since I was able to determine a reasonably competitive discount on this thread. Plus once you wait until the end of the year the discounts can get better due to the dealer being motivated to sell current model years to make room for new ones. They may sell for a loss or $0 profit. Plus dealers are penalized for having old inventory on their lot and have to pay more for keeping those vehicles.

The MSRP is the same throughout the US so all you have to do is find who got the lowest discount in the thread for your particular model.

Add $1500 for AWD

Then you compare admin / doc fees (varies by state and dealer) but are usually negotiable or rolled into your OTD price. Side note: Admin fees in NJ are overinflated. Some dealers charge $700+ and are claim they are legally mandatory, which they are not. Some dealers even have promotions where admin fees are waived lol. Just have the dealer price these into your OTD if they absolutely have to mention it on the documents.

Of course taxes vary so you have to adjust your OTD accordingly depending on the %.

I don't care for someone's OTD if they factor in extended warranty, accessories, and trade in. I actually just want to know the discount and then do the math from there for my OTD.

I am truly grateful to this forum and the members who share their prices.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,328 Posts
I found this price reporting thread and website extremely useful. I think its one of the best ways to get information and find the lowest price a dealer will sell a car for before you purchase. Sure you can research invoice, drawback, discounts, rebates etc., but here you find the actual numbers on the ground.

I was able to walk into a dealership and offer them my price. I would tell the salesman that I have done my research, have been to multiple dealers and worked with multiple online sales departments and that I want the car for $XX OTD. The dealers that are hungry will bite, and those that didn't want to play will end up calling you in a few weeks, at which point tell them you got a deal they couldn't meet and lost a sale.

I was looking for a 2020 CRV EX AWD for $28,600 OTD with PA taxes. So basically a $3580 discount resulting in a $26,700 Sale Price (including destination fee). Some dealerships I walked into (and this was towards the end of December) literally told me they couldn't touch my price it and to buy somewhere else. I specifically went for the 2020 since the dealers want to move the 20's of their lots, so they are motivated to price them lower.

I ended up with $28,800 OTD
$1602 PA 6% Sales Tax
$500 Title, Registration & Docs Fees
Free inspections for life and other dealership perks, plus the customer service was excellent and low pressure.

Could I have gone lower? Its possible but after working with 12+ dealers, many visits, test drives, phone calls, and emails, $28,800 worked for me. I think I did much better than average.

Now I am suspect of some of the lowest prices on this thread but you can see a trend taking into account FWD & AWD. You kind of have to read the whole thread to calibrate but it was worth it saving a few thousand $.

What trim level are you looking for?
And then there is the factor that is often, and conveniently not mentioned, the trade-in. Dealers are well known to agree to a low purchase price, and then compensate themselves with a low-ball trade in allowance...leaving the bewildered buyer thinking they got a great price on their new car...which is fine, as I always say, "if you are happy with the deal, it was a good deal" BUT that deal is not always valid as a data point for most buyers.

Reactions: ArcticThunder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting, I am trying the same email technique for a 2020 EXL AWD, but as mentioned above, only gotten $32k OTD as the best offer - others were quoting $33k.

Do you mind to PM me your email template?
Sorry, just seeing this now. I didn't do anything special. I started with both the Costco auto program pricing and True Car pricing. That helped me set a base price and he sent back one round. It was pretty easy. I think I got lucky with the sales rep as he had never done a sale via email, he was curious how it was going to work out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the price I paid at the end of December. Maybe someone will find this useful.
All I got was some carpeted floor mats included, no other hardware extras, no service extras.

2020 CRV Hybrid EX-L AWD
  • ~6% taxes
  • fees
OTD price 29,795

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is the price I paid at the end of December. Maybe someone will find this useful.
All I got was some carpeted floor mats included, no other hardware extras, no service extras.

2020 CRV Hybrid EX-L AWD
  • ~6% taxes
  • fees
OTD price 29,795
I paid 4500$ more to get the same car. You got the best deal.

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
You should ALL be thankful you aren't paying for your cars in Sterling/Pounds!!!

Reactions: ArcticThunder

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about CPOs. How do you figure the best price? Looking at a 2019 EXL with 6k miles. It is certified plus. TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish i knew this forum before I purchased my vehicle. My buy details if helpful for any.

Purchase Date - 01/10 in Miami-FL
2021 HONDA CR-V EX-L 2WD White Exterior with Beige Interior

CRV Price 28,400
Trade-In 10,500 (-)
Tax 7% 1,250
Dealer Fee 900
Accessories 500
Tag Txfer 150
Total OTD- 20,700 with 0% APR from Honda Financials

Accessories :
1. Splash guards,
2. Wheel Locks
3. All weather mat for Trunk only
4. Door Guards

·
Registered
255 Posts
Please put model of CRV, (LX, EX, EXL, Touring)

FWD or AWD and price you paid before any trade in is accounted for.

Power 1.5 T or hybrid

List dealer installed accessories separately.

Also keep Taxes title and fees separate.

List dealer, City, State where purchased

Picture of your new ride is encouraged.
Thanks for your reply.

Ours:
FWD
1.5T
Cargo mat
Costs figures not available
Photo not available at this time. Perfect condition, high shine, only 10,900 miles, all service from dealer, Touring.

Please put model of CRV, (LX, EX, EXL, Touring)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Ours:
FWD
1.5T
Cargo mat
Costs figures not available
Photo not available at this time. Perfect condition, high shine, only 10,900 miles, all service from dealer, Touring.
2019 CR-V Touring, 2WD Turbocharged 1.5 L, Modern Steel Matellic, Honda Rear Cargo Tray

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
I bought exl hybrid for 32100 and I am disappointed on my mpg
Hello and welcome.

Might be worth you starting a new thread in the Hybrid section to discuss your MPG unhappiness. 👍

·
Registered
67 Posts
And then there is the factor that is often, and conveniently not mentioned, the trade-in. Dealers are well known to agree to a low purchase price, and then compensate themselves with a low-ball trade in allowance...leaving the bewildered buyer thinking they got a great price on their new car...which is fine, as I always say, "if you are happy with the deal, it was a good deal" BUT that deal is not always valid as a data point for most buyers.
I rest my case.

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring - Radiant Red
3 Posts
Picked up 2021 Radiant Red CRV Hybrid Touring yesterday 1-27-2021
Paid $34331 before tax and title - Columbus, Ohio
Added splash guards, floor mats, cargo net, door sill protection and rear panel protectors for an additional $644
Doc Fee $250
Tax 7.5% $2641.88
Title $35
Cash purchase $37901.88

·
Registered
14 Posts
Picked up 2021 Radiant Red CRV Hybrid Touring yesterday 1-27-2021
Paid $34331 before tax and title - Columbus, Ohio
Added splash guards, floor mats, cargo net, door sill protection and rear panel protectors for an additional $644
Doc Fee $250
Tax 7.5% $2641.88
Title $35
Cash purchase $37901.88
Good Deal. Have fun.What is the Tire brand in your car they had installed? Better brand less cabin noise.

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring - Radiant Red
3 Posts
Good Deal. Have fun.What is the Tire brand in your car they had installed? Better brand less cabin noise.
Continental Cross Contact. I already checked them out on Tirerack.com and they get an ok review. Kind of weak on performance, but good review for quiet ride and comfort.

821 - 840 of 879 Posts