Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new here as I am to the 2020 CR-V. I have a couple of concerns, and one of them is regarding something I did, and perhaps shouldn't have. With only about 30 miles on the odometer, I did accelerate a bit hard a few times one afternoon. Not terribly hard where I got it close to red line. But I wanted to see what sort of acceleration it had in "S" mode, and how the car would perform during overtaking. I only did this a few times. First of all, the dealer mentioned that the engines are broken in at the factory and that I can drive the car normally. This morning, I watched a video regarding the CR-V on YouTube and the guy mentioned not to do any hard accelerations.Now I'm concerned that I might have done some harm to the engine. It is my wife's vehicle, and I never saw the engine idle other than just popping the hood while the car was parked and not running in the dealership's parking lot. There is a very slight rocking motion from the engine while idling. I'm hoping that is normal being it's a 4-cylinder. I'm not a paranoid person, but I hope I got the car off to a good start, so to speak.

My other concern is regarding this oil dilution issue I recently found out about. I'm sure that issue has been beaten to death here, but it's all new's to me. I'm hoping that issue has been rectified.

Edit: Since I'm new here, please ignore the issue I mentioned regarding the oil dilution issue. I just found a thread addressing it.

Thank you folks.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Hi everyone. I'm new here as I am to the 2020 CR-V. I have a couple of concerns, and one of them is regarding something I did, and perhaps shouldn't have. With only about 30 miles on the odometer, I did accelerate a bit hard a few times one afternoon. Not terribly hard where I got it close to red line. But I wanted to see what sort of acceleration it had in "S" mode, and how the car would perform during overtaking. I only did this a few times. First of all, the dealer mentioned that the engines are broken in at the factory and that I can drive the car normally. This morning, I watched a video regarding the CR-V on YouTube and the guy mentioned not to do any hard accelerations.Now I'm concerned that I might have done some harm to the engine. It is my wife's vehicle, and I never saw the engine idle other than just popping the hood while the car was parked and not running in the dealership's parking lot. There is a very slight rocking motion from the engine while idling. I'm hoping that is normal being it's a 4-cylinder. I'm not a paranoid person, but I hope I got the car off to a good start, so to speak.

My other concern is regarding this oil dilution issue I recently found out about. I'm sure that issue has been beaten to death here, but it's all new's to me. I'm hoping that issue has been rectified.

Edit: Since I'm new here, please ignore the issue I mentioned regarding the oil dilution issue. I just found a thread addressing it.

Thank you folks.
Context is important.

The context for warnings about heavy or extreme acceleration with the 1.5T is to avoid it when the engine is not warmed up to temperature.

The reason is that the turbo is what takes the lions share of the stress on heavy acceleration (it spins at up 100K rpm when on maximum boost). Doing so on occasion is unlikely to damage the turbo, or the engine. Doing so habitually with a cold engine would most likely result in shortened life of the turbo, though in fairness... the turbo may be one of the most reliable parts of the engine in terms of life span so it may not matter.

Bottom line: Honda recommends NOT applying heavy acceleration until the engine is warmed up to temperature, for the reasons explained above. I have seen no guidance by Honda in recent years about any need to be gentle with the power train until it is "broken in"... on any of their engines. These modern engines simply do not need the sort of "break in" treatment that was common with new vehicles 20+ years ago.

The. Admin. Istrator.
First of all, the dealer mentioned that the engines are broken in at the factory and that I can drive the car normally.
馃う鈥嶁檪锔

I dont know whats worse. The dealer spoon feeding you BS, or the fact that you did it anyway and revved the life out of a car with so few miles on it.

My only advice would be to revoke your driving licence/permit and use a cab.

So much fail, its untrue.

Reactions: tglenn

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Context is important.

The context for warnings about heavy or extreme acceleration with the 1.5T is to avoid it when the engine is not warmed up to temperature.

The reason is that the turbo is what takes the lions share of the stress on heavy acceleration (it spins at up 100K rpm when on maximum boost). Doing so on occasion is unlikely to damage the turbo, or the engine. Doing so habitually with a cold engine would most likely result in shortened life of the turbo, though in fairness... the turbo may be one of the most reliable parts of the engine in terms of life span so it may not matter.

Bottom line: Honda recommends NOT applying heavy acceleration until the engine is warmed up to temperature, for the reasons explained above. I have seen no guidance by Honda in recent years about any need to be gentle with the power train until it is "broken in"... on any of their engines. These modern engines simply do not need the sort of "break in" treatment that was common with new vehicles 20+ years ago.
I appreciate your feedback. The engine was warmed, and I only did the revs for a short spell, and not high revs really.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
馃う鈥嶁檪锔

I dont know whats worse. The dealer spoon feeding you BS, or the fact that you did it anyway and revved the life out of a car with so few miles on it.

My only advice would be to revoke your driving licence/permit and use a cab.

So much fail, its untrue.
I'll go down to the DVM and turn myself in as a convicted car abuser. :)

Well, the revs were not anywhere near the red line, but I shouldn't have even revved it anyway. But, I'm sure all will be OK . . . hopefully!

Registered
2018 CR-V appears completely locked/shut down:
Hi. I went to go to the store this morning, and my 2018 CR-V, recently serviced--oil change, battery check, etc. and all was perfect--and it is COMPLETELY DEAD. No lights, sounds, nothing. I used my battery charger to check the battery and it was at 95%. Fobs do nothing, but the fob light is working. No locks, lights, nothing. What is going on?!?! It's like an EMP was set off inside of the car. Is there an anti-theft feature I might have inadvertently tripped? I drove it briefly on Thursday and it was perfect. Help...

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD

Well, the revs were not anywhere near the red line, but I shouldn't have even revved it anyway. But, I'm sure all will be OK . . . hopefully!
You do know the punishment for car abuse at the DMV is 25 to life in a Yugo!

The. Admin. Istrator.

Just take it easy fella, when driving. (y)

Registered
Many years ago, I toured the Ford Ranger plant when it was still operational in St Paul, Minnesota. At the end of the line, a person hopped into the truck to drive it off the line.
The person would start the vehicle, check the turn signals, horn, wipers and other accessories.

Then, the person would floor the vehicle, sometimes squealing the tires, for about 100 feet. This would be followed by a full-blown panic stop.

After watching this several times, I finally asked the tour guide about it. He said that one of the things they are checking is to make sure the driver's seat belt locks during hard braking, and they need enough speed to do this properly.

So, this is what happens during the first 30 seconds after the vehicle is assembled. I'm sure your vehicle is just fine...

Registered
The new engines are broken in from the factory. This being said, I always do the old 3000 mile gentle break in and oil change -- and I also change the other fluids out at half change -- since their are small pieces of metal in the fluid that I like to flush out. As far as acceleration, you always want to let a cold engine warm up before hitting it hard.

Premium Member
Your v either was already driven by a porter, your throttle curve is compromised, your brakes are worn, what would you like the On-line opinions to say. All is good, or you best get back to the dealer. You ride it like you stole it. the car has break in fluids, and no damage will happen. many lease, do not care. many do own and do care.

better yet how did it feel, or did you sweat all the way home and couldn't wait to post to the forum and still about what he damages will be?

No harm, no foul. No one here is AA Professional, we are just all with different opinions.

But did you Smell gas?

Registered
Don鈥檛 worry, you did not hurt it. Modern engines are very tolerant of abuse and many people will recommend the odd run at high rpm on a new engine. Of course best to warm up first, but even if you did not, I still would not be concerned if it was me and I tend to be very fussy over my vehicles because if I like them I keep them a long time (my 2004 Acura TSX turns 17 this spring and a year ago I drove it across Canada, 13,000 km without any issue). Even if you braked hard, no different then after any brake job where you should take it easy for a while, although most probably don鈥檛. Because of issues around oil dilution I did check my 2020 a bit more than normal but absolutely no sign and I don鈥檛 expect this will be an issue at all on the 2020 models. By far the majority of owners of early generation 5 models are also very happy with this car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many years ago, I toured the Ford Ranger plant when it was still operational in St Paul, Minnesota. At the end of the line, a person hopped into the truck to drive it off the line.
The person would start the vehicle, check the turn signals, horn, wipers and other accessories.

Then, the person would floor the vehicle, sometimes squealing the tires, for about 100 feet. This would be followed by a full-blown panic stop.

After watching this several times, I finally asked the tour guide about it. He said that one of the things they are checking is to make sure the driver's seat belt locks during hard braking, and they need enough speed to do this properly.

So, this is what happens during the first 30 seconds after the vehicle is assembled. I'm sure your vehicle is just fine...
Well that makes me feel better . . .or does it. That's new car abuse :). I guess it's OK then. But I wonder why they tell new car owners to not rev a new engine too high, yet it's OK for them to rev the engine in that matter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new engines are broken in from the factory. This being said, I always do the old 3000 mile gentle break in and oil change -- and I also change the other fluids out at half change -- since their are small pieces of metal in the fluid that I like to flush out. As far as acceleration, you always want to let a cold engine warm up before hitting it hard.
I was told the same thing years ago regarding small pieces of metal that needs to be flushed out. Nobody is talking about that today with the new cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don鈥檛 worry, you did not hurt it. Modern engines are very tolerant of abuse and many people will recommend the odd run at high rpm on a new engine. Of course best to warm up first, but even if you did not, I still would not be concerned if it was me and I tend to be very fussy over my vehicles because if I like them I keep them a long time (my 2004 Acura TSX turns 17 this spring and a year ago I drove it across Canada, 13,000 km without any issue). Even if you braked hard, no different then after any brake job where you should take it easy for a while, although most probably don鈥檛. Because of issues around oil dilution I did check my 2020 a bit more than normal but absolutely no sign and I don鈥檛 expect this will be an issue at all on the 2020 models. By far the majority of owners of early generation 5 models are also very happy with this car.
Who are those that recommend running at high RPM on a new engine? Like you, I am fussy with my cars as I am with everything I own. I have cameras that are well over ten years old. They look like they just came out of the box. That's me!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.