Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Moderate
2,838 Posts
CVT always have set points, like virtual gears. You just don't feel the transition from one fixed gear ratio to another, it's "slipping" through them.

Reactions: HOWARDCPA

· Moderate
2,838 Posts
Right. The CVT, in principle, is a transmission of infinte number of gear ratios and cone positions. In reality the "gear changes" or shifting from one ratio to another are made in preset position of the cones. I have no experience or indepth information on the modern hybrid car CVT which have so much more infrastructure like electric motors etc so you might not really feel the jerking (I suppose) but in regular CVT you can actually feel the transmission shifting at certain acceleration/RPM level.

My first CVT car (1st generation Honda HR-V) it was advertised as 7-speed CVT and you could count the shifts if you knew what to look for. For an average driver there was a smooth rubber band pulling you to speed. It's extemely smooth compared to Toyota or Subaru CVTs I have driven. In my current CVT-equipped Toyota you can also feel the shifts and they are much more defined, one could even think it has a regular automatic with a high stall speed torque converter. In acceleration it will first give you the smooth pull and right away when it notices there's no more accelerator movement it drops down "a gear or two" and next as low as possible just like a regular automatic. The changes are always identical in identical conditions as they are predefined. It also has a manual shifter where you can shift through all the change ratios for whatever reason, in reality it's a useless feature. The ECU is perfectly capable of deciding the ratios itself. I only use the SPORT mode where it immediately excludes the bottom couple of ratios and runs the engine at higher RPM. With paddle shifters you could actually find some use to the manual shifting of the CVT.

Reactions: HOWARDCPA
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.