Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,698 Posts
One more thing to break or malfunction, that is more a fun factor feature then something actually needed. :p

Seriously though... my guess is no... simply because the CRV is a utility vehicle, not a sport vehicle. It is true that SUVs in general are becoming more car like, and a few companies are pushing actual sport versions of some models.. but Honda is not one of them. Honda reserves "sporty" for their Acura SUVs, just like they often use the Acura line to roll out new technology ahead of pushing it into the Honda brand. Premium pricing points on Acura give them the margin to do this.

As a mid-life refresh interval....you may very well see the shifter gone in 2020 and replaced with a pushbutton array.. as I think Honda is moving that direction for all it's CVTs.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,698 Posts
Not quite sure I’m following the above.....there are no gears, just 2 pulleys (a driver and a driven) and a belt. Infinitely changing rather than slipping, no?
mrtns point I believe was that while it feels like it is infinitely sliding the tension bands as needed for speed vs engine rpm and torque... in reality the CVT is electronically controlled and as such.. there will be particular sequence points in the band adjustments for the full range of driving demands. Probably several dozen if I had to guess.. with many of them representing a set or series that move sequentially to a perceived demand. This gives the perception of infinite micro changes vs a traditional 4 or 5 speed transmission.

Plus... since the CVT is electronically controlled as a part of the whole powertrain electronic control system the engine and transmission can work in closer harmony, and it can also be reprogrammed by the dealers if there is need for product wide adjustments after release to the field. No more need to swap out tranmissions in masse just because you got a shift interval or other move wrong in the design.

I really like the 1.5T + CVT in the gen5. It is particularly attentive to needs for additional power when driving normally and hitting an incline grade.. even in slow speed city driving. I have this one overpass I drive frequently near my home.. and the CVT recognizes the additional demand and will smoothly upshift to get to a better spot in the torque band.. and the only indication of this is a move of a few hundred rpm on the tachometer. It's literally glass smooth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.