Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As reported on Temple of VTECs.

As a result of our querying, it seems that that ALL 2020 CR-V trims are showing a standard 1.5T engine. This includes the LX 2WD and AWD trims, which previously used Honda's venerable K24.

It's possible that there will still be a K24-equipped LX trim that hasn't shown up in the database yet, but it seems quite unlikely.

Speaking of the Hybrid, we know it's coming, but if it's like all of the Honda hybrids that have come before it, it won't surprise us if it arrives on a slightly delayed basis compared to the standard CR-Vs. We also expect the CR-V Hybrid to get the push button gear selector, just like the Accord Hybrid and Insight (and the UK-version of the CR-V Hybrid which has already launched - see pics below).

And one more thing (thanks to a commenter below, for reminding): We are expecting Honda Sensing to be standard across the entire 2020 CR-V range.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Honda clearly is moving to replace all their old engines with the new 1.5T and 2.0T across their product line (except for small vehicles like the Fit).

Moving HondaSensing into the standard equipment for all trim levels as well is what they appear to be doing.

Hopefully the 2020 gets a new Head Unit as well. The one in the current Accord would be a very nice upgrade.

Hybrid will likely be a big seller if it in fact goes live in North America finally. That would likely carry CRV sales forward nicely until the gen6 comes out in a couple more years. I'm not sure I am sold on the hybrids from Honda yet because they have struggled for years to find their sweet spot in the market ... but time will tell. I don't plan to be an early adopter if they roll one out on the CRV in 2020.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
A 325 HP CRV Type R.......now how cool would that be.👍

·
Registered
154 Posts
Considering the fact that Accord dropped the 2.4 it certainly sounds plausible. I still think they should offer an upgrade engine. A CR-V 2.0t would have no appreciable impact on RDX sales as typical Acura buyers do not cross shop Honda products. They could even detune it for better mpg and to keep power numbers lower than the Acura, like what VW does with their 2.0t. Honda is surrendering a handful of sales to the RAV4 and the CX-5 by not offering the 2.0t as there are people who are buying those models strictly because they don't like the 1.5t and/or the CVT.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not sure I am sold on the hybrids from Honda yet because they have struggled for years to find their sweet spot in the market ... but time will tell. I don't plan to be an early adopter if they roll one out on the CRV in 2020.
The hybrid CR-V has been on the market since spring over here and all the drive/road tests I have read have been positive, saying that Honda has figured out a seamlessly smooth hybrid combination beating Toyota in its own game, both driveability and fuel economy wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Considering the fact that Accord dropped the 2.4 it certainly sounds plausible. I still think they should offer an upgrade engine. A CR-V 2.0t would have no appreciable impact on RDX sales as typical Acura buyers do not cross shop Honda products. They could even detune it for better mpg and to keep power numbers lower than the Acura, like what VW does with their 2.0t. Honda is surrendering a handful of sales to the RAV4 and the CX-5 by not offering the 2.0t as there are people who are buying those models strictly because they don't like the 1.5t and/or the CVT.
Agreed. 2.0 tuned for low end torque would be sweet in cr-v with awd. Honda should offer it in upper trims like Accord. Hopefully with next gen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, maybe across the Accord, Civic and CR-V lines, but since the Passport, Pilot, and Ridgeline come with V6 engines I doubt they'll be downgraded.
The 2.0T is not really a downgrade at all though.... just a different engine design.

Since the 2.0T is essentially identical in power and torque to the older Honda V6s... I would not bet on them keeping the V6s for the long term. At some point they will replace them with smaller turbos that are better fuel economy but equivalent power and torque. The real question in my mind is what transmission they will mate to a 2.0T in the Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline models.

I don't think it will happen until a new generation release, but I simply do not see Honda continuing to release V6 designs into their line up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The hybrid CR-V has been on the market since spring over here and all the drive/road tests I have read have been positive, saying that Honda has figured out a seamlessly smooth hybrid combination beating Toyota in its own game, both driveability and fuel economy wise.
I understand. :)

That has been said about other hybrids from Honda as well in recent years, yet they continue to release and discontinue them at a fairly rapid pace.

But I agree that the new CRV hybrid looks to be pretty well thought out, and if we see the same implementation trend in design in other models.. then I will believe that Honda has finally dialed in their approach to hybrids.

Working in our favor as owners is the fact that Honda has stated that they plan to be essentially all electric/hybrid across their vehicle models by 2030... so that works in our favor toward Honda finally getting serious on their hybrid approaches. Electric platforms... I think they still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A 325 HP CRV Type R.......now how cool would that be.👍
While it would indeed be cool.. I don't think the platform is designed for that kind of horsepower.

In other words, it could be dangerous in those power ranges, unless they do some modifications to suspensions and related components and handling systems. Not to mention, changes to their AWD systems to support the higher performance as well. Doable for sure, but at what return on investment for Honda? They could absorb their design approach on the new RDX fairly easily to provide a 272 hp platform.

A civic platform is a great match for this level of performance because Honda has been designing high end sport tuned Civics for years, is FWd only, the vehicle is low profile, and really hugs the road. Same for the new generation Accords and their 2.0T variant.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'll take a touring Sonic Gray Pearl/Black

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I like the looks of the Sonic Gray.. a lot.

Now... for some of my obsessive personal challenges.... :p

I swore off dark colored vehicles years ago... because you can wash them and they will be bright, shiny, and clean looking..... for about one day, and that's if you managed to remove all the water spots as you wash and dry. o_O So it's a routine cleaning nightmare in my view if you like a fresh clean looking vehicle. Cleaning a Civic or an Accord is pretty easy... but the CRV is harder to deal with because of the vehicle height... unless you run it through an actual car wash.. which always leaves water spots somewhere.

Whereas lighter colors, particularly Pearl White and the current Silver.... can be dirty with surface dust, and still look clean and ready to drive. Still need to clean the front window every few days... but that's easy to deal with. For dirt appearance mitigation... you simply cannot beat the White Pearl. :)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The 2.0T is not really a downgrade at all though.... just a different engine design.

Since the 2.0T is essentially identical in power and torque to the older Honda V6s... I would not bet on them keeping the V6s for the long term.
I was curious about your "essentially identical in power and torque" so looked up the specs for the 2019 Accord 2.0T and the 2019 Ridgeline V6.

Accord 2.0T inline 4:
HP: 252 @ 6500 RPM
Torque: 273 lb-ft @1500-4000 RPM

Ridgeline 3.6L V6:
HP: 280 @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 262 lb-ft @ 4700 RPM

The transmissions are significantly different, so I'm not sure what the power to the wheels would be.
Looks like the Pilot and the Passport both have the same V6 as the Ridgeline, but the Passport is about 300 lbs lighter than the Ridgeline, but only 20 lbs lighter than the Pilot.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
29 Participants
Monkeyman
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing